Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help, need reccomendations regarding surgeons

Hi everyone,

I am a young patient who is in need of opinions regarding "the top" scoliosis surgeons who have done a lot of revision surgeries.
    Can anyone give me the names of the surgeons that are seen as "the best" in the US?
    I have already written down the name Dr. Boachie as he seem to be very experienced.

I suffer from sagittal balance problem, kyphosis, hyperlordosis and a failed artificial disc protheses ( L5/S1)
    I have already had one revision surgery at L4/L5 where I am fused now. I am in severe pain and have been mostly bed ridden for several years. This will be my third and last chance to correct my spine.

I hope someone are able to give me some suggestions on who to contact. Thanks so much for all the help I can get
    Last edited by lollyopop; 09-03-2011, 01:02 PM.
    2001:Compression fracture L1- leads to kyphosis in the area, sagittal balance problems

2005:Artificial disc protheses (L5/S1, L5/L4) Failes and creates a hyperlordosis in the lumbar, sagittal balance problem worsens.

2010:Revision surgery of ADR L4/L5 to fusion- too much of the lordosis is reduced, fused in a kyphosis. Hyperlordosis at L5S1 increases

Currently in severe pain and bedridden. Need a revision surgery of hyperlordosis at L5S1 and correction of sagittal balance, kyposis prob.

Hi...

In addition to Boachie, the names I hear the most in terms of revision surgery are Kelbaish in Baltimore, MD, Lenke and Bridwell in St. Louis, Frank Schwab in New York, Glassman in Kentucky, and Berven and Hu in San Francisco.

Best of luck.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi lollopop, I am 68, had revision surgery, Dr Khaled Kebaish Johns Hopkins in Baltimore MD. surgery was May 9 and June 21, he is great and I am great, I had saggital imbalance, flatback, with legs straight I was bent all the way over, I am straight now and 3 inches taller. the Dr. who did surgery in 2002 does not do revision and he told me that was the best place to go. I am a hairdresser, and I am going back to work Sept 10, I only work 3 days a week. All my pain is gone, I could not stand upright without support, I do not need a cane, I used one for 2 years. GOOD LUCK, LU

Comment

Hi Lollipop,

I had surgery December 2010 with Lawrence Lenke in St. Louis Missouri. He is one of the top surgeons in the United States and currently resides as the president of the scoliosis research society. I would highly recommend him as a surgeon. I am VERY pleased with my surgical results. His assistant is Kelly Polk-ledbetter. She can assist you with making an consultation appointment. Her number is 314-747-2327. Best of luck!
        Laurie Anne
        Age 30
        Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
        Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
        Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
        PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
        5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
        1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions. I have only been able to contact Boachies office. However, did not hear back from them after the first email I recceived. Are his secretaries unhelpful? Think I remember that I have read that somewhere on this forum..
          I did also call Dr. Lenks office but the nurse who I were suppose to speak with, wasnt there. But I could try the phone number that was given here instead, thanks
          2001:Compression fracture L1- leads to kyphosis in the area, sagittal balance problems

2005:Artificial disc protheses (L5/S1, L5/L4) Failes and creates a hyperlordosis in the lumbar, sagittal balance problem worsens.

2010:Revision surgery of ADR L4/L5 to fusion- too much of the lordosis is reduced, fused in a kyphosis. Hyperlordosis at L5S1 increases

Currently in severe pain and bedridden. Need a revision surgery of hyperlordosis at L5S1 and correction of sagittal balance, kyposis prob.

Comment

My surgery was also with Dr. Lenke, Since he is president of the SRS, he is only taking the most severe cases. I know that Kelly does not work on Fridays. Dr. Lenke is definitely one of the best!
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Always remember that you can be fixed....never lose hope.

Be sure to let us know how you do in the future.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I would most definitely recommend my surgeon Dr Samuel Bederman in Orange CA. He has helped me so much

Melissa
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thanks everyone for you help and suggestions. I haven't had much luck yet contacting any of them but still need to wait until I have had a new MRI scan now on Sunday before I can send anything. I am having a hard time finding contact info. on them.
                  Does anyone have the email address to any of these doctors( Kelbaish in Baltimore, MD, Lenke and Bridwell in St. Louis, Frank Schwab in New York, Glassman in Kentucky, and Berven and Hu in San Francisco?) as that would be the easiest way for me to contact them.
                  I have tried calling Dr. Lens assistant for 2 weeks now and I just get her voicemail every time. I have left my contact info. but she has never called me up again...So, in other words emailing would be best. If anyone could help and already have their email address and possibily could pm me, I would appreciate it very, very much.
                  Thanks Melissa, I will pm you.
                  Last edited by lollyopop; 09-03-2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

When you called Dr. Lenke's office, were you calling for Naomi who schedules appointment: Naomi, appointments 314-747-2538. Have you also registered with the hospital (basically giving them your name, contact info, etc.) so that you are in their system? When I first called for Lenke, I was directed to register at 314-747-2500. Another number you might try is for Lenke's nurse, Kelly at 314-747-2327. I do not have Lenke's email.

Warmly,
                    Doreen
                    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dr. Lenke's office does not take emails from patients. I always have to leave a voice message, but have been called back the same day or the next.
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by lollyopop View Post
                        Thanks everyone for you help and suggestions. I haven't had much luck yet contacting any of them but still need to wait until I have had a new MRI scan now on Sunday before I can send anything. I am having a hard time finding contact info. on them.
                        Does anyone have the email address to any of these doctors( Kelbaish in Baltimore, MD, Lenke and Bridwell in St. Louis, Frank Schwab in New York, Glassman in Kentucky, and Berven and Hu in San Francisco?) as that would be the easiest way for me to contact them through as I live in Norway and calling everyone is expensive especially as I can't get through to them most of them.
                        I have tried calling Dr. Lens assistant for 2 weeks now and I just get her voicemail every time. I have left my contact info. but she has never called me up again...So, in other words emailing would be best. If anyone could help and already have their email address and possibily could pm me, I would appreciate it very, very much.
                        Thanks Melissa, I will pm you.
                        For Drs. Hu or Berven, email Cynthia Atanacio at Atanacio@orthosurg.ucsf.edu. She is thenew patient coordinator.
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I called directly to Kelly but she never rang me back. But I will try the other numbers I have gotten next week, thank you.
                          Thanks Linda, for the email address to Dr. Hu and Dr. Berven.

Comment

Working...
                          X