Sept 9 - additional surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sept 9 - additional surgery

I might be having an additional surgery on September 9. Dr Bederman wants to go in thru my front and reinforce my spine to ensure fusion. Much as I do not want more surgery, I certainly do not want surgery next year to repair a broken rod. Has anyone had this surgery ? He says that I will only be in the hospital 5 days and then home - no rehab

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Hi Melissa

The anterior surgeries do help with guaranteeing fusion. I had spacers installed before my posterior and have a vertical scar right down the front. It has covered up quite a bit and isn’t too bad over my 12 pack abs. 12 pack of beer that is! lol

There are many different types of anterior methods and entry locations. You might ask him exactly how he will proceed on this next one. Horizontal, vertical, off to one side, multiple smaller incisions????? Ask him on your next visit. Will he flip to the posterior on your lowest levels?

I know what you mean about not wanting another surgery. It does grow old, but you have a really talented surgeon and this really is the way you are going to be fixed. Fixed for good. Its something to stay exited about.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

melissa good luck with your surgery
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Originally posted by kennedy View Post
        melissa good luck with your surgery
        Thank you Kennedy and I hope you are enjoying your summer

Melissa
        Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          Hi Melissa

The anterior surgeries do help with guaranteeing fusion. I had spacers installed before my posterior and have a vertical scar right down the front. It has covered up quite a bit and isn’t too bad over my 12 pack abs. 12 pack of beer that is! lol

There are many different types of anterior methods and entry locations. You might ask him exactly how he will proceed on this next one. Horizontal, vertical, off to one side, multiple smaller incisions????? Ask him on your next visit. Will he flip to the posterior on your lowest levels?

I know what you mean about not wanting another surgery. It does grow old, but you have a really talented surgeon and this really is the way you are going to be fixed. Fixed for good. Its something to stay exited about.

Ed
          Do you mean excited or exited?

What kind of recuperation are we talking about here? Is it really only 5 days in the hospital and then home?

Melissa
          Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa,

I was supposed to have posterior/anterior surgery. Surgeon explained she does the anterior to provide a strong base for the long fusion. She said her patients are usually in the hospital one or two evenings.

I'll continue to pray for you too.

Warmly,
            Doreen
            44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
            Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
            2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Excited of course!

Recovery time depends on age and procedure.....I would imagine having 3 or 4 levels is much easier than having the whole thing done in one bang. My recovery was horrendous for the first 6 weeks.

You have done well.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks for saying that I have done well

I feel really great. I believe that he is only talking about my lower levels

Melissa
                Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa...

I had the anterior part of my surgery done on the same day as the posterior part. But, you had so much surgery in one day that they couldn't possibly have done it all at one time. We leave a lot of patients with the anterior part undone, and some actually end up being able to go without it. But, most "older" patients with fusions into the lower lumbar levels require circumfrential fusions.

Hope your surgery is a walk in the park!

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    Hi Melissa...

I had the anterior part of my surgery done on the same day as the posterior part. But, you had so much surgery in one day that they couldn't possibly have done it all at one time. We leave a lot of patients with the anterior part undone, and some actually end up being able to go without it. But, most "older" patients with fusions into the lower lumbar levels require circumfrential fusions.

Hope your surgery is a walk in the park!

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Thanks Linda for your advice. I am going to have the surgery

Melissa
                    Melissa

Comment

I know it must be a little daunting to go through yet another surgery, but given what a great job your surgeon has done so far, I would go along with whatever he recommends at the time. If you're very lucky, he might say you don't need it. But if you do, you know that he's doing it to ensure the best possible result, and he knows what he's doing. At least, by the end of September, you'll have this surgery journey over with and all you will have to do is heal and look forward to a much brighter future.

So happy you're doing so well Melissa. You must be incredibly excited for your future.
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                        I know it must be a little daunting to go through yet another surgery, but given what a great job your surgeon has done so far, I would go along with whatever he recommends at the time. If you're very lucky, he might say you don't need it. But if you do, you know that he's doing it to ensure the best possible result, and he knows what he's doing. At least, by the end of September, you'll have this surgery journey over with and all you will have to do is heal and look forward to a much brighter future.

So happy you're doing so well Melissa. You must be incredibly excited for your future.
                        I am going to have the surgery . I trust Dr Bederman so much and I want to get better and stay that way

Melissa
                        Melissa

Comment

I had anterior surgery about 16 days after the posterior surgery and went straight home from the hospital in five days. I was almost 68 at the time so maybe you will be home before five days. Being older, I was not recovered from the posterior surgery yet, so it took me awhile at home before I could do much else besides eat a little and sleep a lot. But, I was good to go back to roller skating in 10 months because of the anterior surgery, so it is definitely worth it. BTW, I am amazed at your recovery this time. God is good, but so are you and your doctor.
                          Sally
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                            I had anterior surgery about 16 days after the posterior surgery and went straight home from the hospital in five days. I was almost 68 at the time so maybe you will be home before five days. Being older, I was not recovered from the posterior surgery yet, so it took me awhile at home before I could do much else besides eat a little and sleep a lot. But, I was good to go back to roller skating in 10 months because of the anterior surgery, so it is definitely worth it. BTW, I am amazed at your recovery this time. God is good, but so are you and your doctor.
                            Sally
                            You are right. God is great but so is my doctor. I am amazed at my recuperation this time as well

Melissa
                            Melissa

Comment

Working...
                            X