Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 5 mos follow-up appt left me confused. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 5 mos follow-up appt left me confused. . .

I can tell a difference in my thoracic curve. I feel like some thoracic verts have moved - above the ones that didn't fuse after my original surgery, necessitating a revision.

Last Mon, I went for a 5 mos follow-up.follow-up. First, the 4th year resident came in and looked at my x-rays(that had just been taken) and said, "Oh! There's been some shifting since your April (7 weeks post-up) x-ray" . . .so I said, "OK, then I'm not hallucinating, there really has been some shifting going on?". . .and he replied, "Yes." I said that I've also noticed some kyphosis, that is new, and some cervical spine discomfort, which is also relatively new. . .he looked at the x-ray and said that those didn't look too bad, that my lumbars were much worse, so he's surprised that they're not bothering me.

He left the room, and later returned w/my surgeon. My surgeon looked at the x-ray, said it looked good, I have no restrictions, I should come back in a year, or if I want to, I can stretch it out to 1 1/2 years, and that would be my last follow-up appt.

So, I asked, "Should I be concerned about the shifting?" He asked, "Who told you there was shifting?". . .I said, "Nobody, I can just feel it". . .so he said, "Let me look at your x-ray again. . .No. . .there's no shifting. Looks great."

Leaves me wondering. . .
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Do you have any pain?

How very confusing for you.

I can only say that occasionally, I feel like something's moved in my back but either I get used to the new feeling or it corrects itself or it never happened in the first place because it was all in my head, so hopefully, this is one of those occasions for you.

I can't imagine the surgeon would tell you nothing's wrong if something was wrong.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

It's called proximal junctional kyphosis, and it's relatively common. Sorry if you're one of the unlucky ones.

I would request copies of the latest xrays (and some early post-operative xrays if you don't already have them), and see if you can see a difference. PJK only needs treatment in some patients. Many don't ever require any additional surgery.

--Linda
      Last edited by LindaRacine; 08-08-2011, 09:32 PM.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

If the pjk stays where it is, I'd be happy with that. I guess that sometimes you have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

The shifting that the resident commented on was thoracic (I don't know the levels, but around where a brastrap would be, which is the apex of my thoracic curve). I've noticed that my rib hump is worse, and I feel more "twisted". . .but maybe it's my imagination.
        Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
        Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
        Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Working...
        X