Osteotomy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osteotomy question

What exactly is osteotomy related to scoliosis surgery and is this involved with most scoliosis surgeries or does it just depend on the surgeon? Sorry to be so ignorant, but I am new to the forum and obviously have ALOT to learn.
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

You are not ignorant. It takes some timeto get informed when everything is so new to you. Be sure to read David Wolpert's book, Scoliosis Surgery, the Definitive Patient's Reference. When I decided to have surgery, Dr. Lenke's office gave me a "Spinal Fusion Teaching Booklet". It answered a lot of my questions. It included a glossary section. The definition in it for Osteotomy is: "the surgical removal of a wedge or piece of vertebral bone to alter the alignment of the spine." I think the osteotomies help the surgeon get a better correction when the spine is fairly rigid.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Osteotomies are wedges that are removed to fix a problem. Here's a link that can visually show you (I hope this is ok to put a link!) but to me, pictures are so helpful in an explanation! Just scroll down a little bit and you can see what the osteotomy is. I had two osteotomies in my scoli surgery...

http://www.spineuniverse.com/conditi...ttal-imbalance

BTW-- I wasn't hunched like this lady or anything... so I think they need to do osteotomies for reasons other than what they are showing in this link.
      Last edited by Susie*Bee; 08-07-2011, 06:52 PM.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
      X