Iliac screw removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iliac screw removal

This is so minor compared to the challenges many of you are facing, but has anyone had this done? I am having just one screw removed which has been bothering me since my surgery 18 months ago. Have been told that it's a "simple day surgery" and that I should be able to go back to work in a few days. Am hoping to go back home on the train the day after since we're 4 hours away from my surgeon. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks.

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Hi Anne...

What you've been told about recovery is pretty much what I've heard from others. However, there was one person who posted here that the surgery to remove the bolt was as painful and had as long a recovery, as her initial surgery. I've never heard anyone else report anything like that, but I guess you never know.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Iliac screw removal

Hi Annie,
      4 years post A/P, T2-sacrum. My iliac screws were removed about 18 months post-op. My surgeon told me this might be indicated since I was slender (had lost 48 pounds...Yeah!!!). it was an overnight stay in the hospital. That same afternoon I was supposed to get out of bed and walk a little. I got up with minimal help,and when the nurse left the room I grabbed my rolling IV pole, left the room and toddled down the hall. The nurse stopped me halfway down the hall. I then wondered why I couldn't go home that same night??? No pain...felt great. A few hours later the long acting anesthetic wore off, and then I knew why they wanted me to stay! Home the next day, some discomfort covered by low level meds. Fine since

PS I asked for my screws back. I have one of them on my keychain. It won't help you get through the airline screening any faster, but it will get you a TON of respect when
      they see what is setting off their sensors....and then you tell them how many are still in your back. I have actually seen some screeners pale at the idea.

Good luck to you!!! I will get back to following the forum to see how you are doing.
      Julie
      Julie B. 65 (felt like 85...now feel like 55!)
      April 17, 2007 Anterior...replaced 4 lumbar discs
      April 18 Posterior..fused T2 to sacrum plus 2 long screws from rods out to ilium
      Great correction...loooong recovery!!!

Comment

Put it on a keychain--that's great!! Mine is just on the one side and the pain is more annoyance/low level, but it's not getting any better. I am not thin by any stretch of the imagination so am not sure why it's been an issue. It just seems that whole area around it is always sore and tender to the touch and at times it makes my SI joint ache. The steroid shot last fall helped a lot, but I don't want to be do doing those forever. Thanks for the info.

Anne in PA
        Age 58
        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
        T4 to sacrum fusion
        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

hi Anne
          i know from what you wrote about your surgery that you went through a lot!!
          i bet this next one will be nothing compared to what you already have dealt with...
          but you will still be in my thoughts and prayers until it is all over!

my pain is getting worse, and i am seriously considering surgery for next spring (winter is out of the question in this part of the country, with snow, ice, etc)
          i am quite thin now since i lost my appetite from pain meds...i weigh 91 pounds on a 5'3+" frame....down from 5'5" before scoli and herniated discs made me shorter....
          i am afraid....besides of fusion to pelvis...that my low weight would give me problems with screws....all the top surgeons i consulted with, including Neuwirth, Lonner, Anand, Boachie, & a few others said they prefer to operate on thin(er) patients as it is easier to reach the spine, but those patients also tend to have some problems with hardware...

Question....did you lose your waist before surgery, Anne?
          i just noticed that my waist on the right is worse...almost gone, with the exaggeration on the right and straight waist on the left....

i wish all who need this screw removal surgery the best results....leading to a pain free life!!

jess
          Last edited by jrnyc; 08-07-2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X