Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 mo post-op

Hi everyone,
    I know Iknow I went AWOL for a while. I am so sorry. I do your posts here and there though. Ok here is my update: I am almost 8 months post op!!! can you believe that?? that was fast (thnx God). For the last 3 months I haven't felt anything, I've been so great! I had my 6 month post op appointment and DR. Pashman said that my fusion looked great but he does not want me to do any excersise other than walking or light hiking.
    Last week I started an internship working full time. So life was great... until yesterday.
    I woke up having a weird sensation in my right shoulder blade, I mean between my shoulder blade and spine... like an itch but inside, something that I can't really scratch. It drove me crazy all day, because I wanted to scratch that area so bad and when I did I felt nothing because it's numb.
    Today is way worse, I feel that itchiness inside and the muscles are pulling everytime I move my head to the point that I am so stiff. It hurts now... I can't really look down cause it hurts my neck. It's such ashame I was doing so great...
    I am taking Soma(muscle relaxant) that I have left from my surgery, but it's not doing much. I really wish I would have a percocet...
    Do you guys have any idea what can this be? I don't remember doing anything to hurt my back. My new job is kind of an office job, so nothing estrenuous there. The worse is the itchiness... that's driving me nuts!!!
    Any input?
    best,
    Pilar
    Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
    Now age 32
    Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
    Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
    Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
    Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
    Dr. Robert Pashman
    Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
    Before and after xrays :
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

I"ve had that from time to time and still do, I believe it's the nerves healing. I think I had it more around the year or so mark most frequently. From what I understand, nerves heal very slowly.

You're right-scratching doesn't help. At times, I tried ice and that helped a little bit. Now that you brought it up, let me reach around and scratch that spot. For me it's about an inch to the right of the bottom on my left shoulder blade--most commonly referred to as "My Spot".

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

And yes mine is itchy and numb at the same time. Do some searches, you will find it is very common.

I dug up one of my old posts--this was from 11 months post op.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...ng!&highlight=

Comment

Thnx Debbei. At leas I don't feel crazy now. However, i woke up today with a horrible pain. I can barely move my head and it even hurts when i walk!! The muscle is so stiff and achy... I don't know what it is!! I am afraid that the top of my hardware is irritating the soft tissue in that area!?? I don't know but it does hurt today... And that itchy feeling is still there as well but it's masked by the pain.
        I dont understand how I went from feeling almost a 100% to this in a matter of one day!!
        Now age 32
        Dr. Robert Pashman
        Before and after xrays :

Comment

Pilar,

that is the same area for me that I alternate between pain and itchiness. Believe it or not, when I get it bad, motrin does wonders for the pain. Have you been cleared to use ibuprophen yet? If so give it a try and see if it works.

When I get these bad episodes, it sometimes takes a week of babying myself, taking motrin, and (occasionally) muscle relaxants, soaking in the hot tub, etc., to feel back to normal. Sometimes I can do my normal routine and get through it, but sometimes my back just wants to be babied.

Feel better, and maybe put a call into your Dr.'s office tomorrow for advice.

Comment

Thanks so much again Debbei!
            I cant take ibuprofen yet, by I have Soma... It relaxes me at least. Yes, if this pain persists I' 'll contact my doc's office on Tuesday.
            Now age 32
            Dr. Robert Pashman
            Before and after xrays :

Comment

Do you have any neurontin (gabapentin)? That might be worth a try.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Firstly, I'm glad to hear you've been so well, Pilar. Just shows that even those who have rotten early recoveries, go on to great results!

My feelings (no science whatsoever!) is that it's a nerve re-growing, that you've been scratching, poking or otherwise irritating. That's probably set up a bit of irritation (inflammation?) I think Deb gave great advice. Don't let it scare you that things are going to go wrong, just baby it and let it settle. Let us know how you get on, won't you?!

Who would have thought a few months ago that you'd be back working full time at this stage? This will give hope to others who're having a bad start to recovery.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                  Thanks so much again Debbei!
                  I cant take ibuprofen yet, by I have Soma... It relaxes me at least. Yes, if this pain persists I' 'll contact my doc's office on Tuesday.
                  Soma is muscle relaxant I take when I need it and boy does it help. Not to mention--it knocks me out. The pharmacist told me that the nickname for Soma is "Coma." I wholeheartedly agree.

Comment

Hey Pilar

Glad to hear that you are doing great, even with this itching dilemma.......

Nerves and or scar tissue are probably to blame. If you decide to go in, be sure to let us know what your surgeon says.

I had a burning sensation down by my L3 at 22 months post that felt like a soldering iron for 2 weeks. When I went in, my surgeon told me that it was a soft tissue injury. Just a tad more stretch or pulling can trigger things like this in our slow recoveries, I’m not surprised when your surgeon wants you to stick to the normal regiment of just walking or light hiking.

It’s a drag when you are doing so well and all of a sudden these things surprise us. Once again, it’s a long process that we all go through.

Keep up the good work (smiley face)
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Pilar,

Congrats on your 8 month anniversary! My 10 month anniversary was yesterday. Wow, I can't believe it.

I've had that same itchiness off and on, also near one of my shoulder blades. I agree with the others that it's probably a pesky nerve re-growing. I also get itchy along the length of my scar but it's numb along most of my scar, so again, it's probably the nerves.

I guess doctors are all different in their opinions of when we can start taking NSAIDs. I read that it's when they see that your bone is fusing. I was given a prescription for diflucan and it really irritates my stomach so I stopped taking it. Unfortunately I find that Norco is the only thing that has been giving me some relief.

The ups and downs of our recovery is something else. I hope you feel better soon.
                      Laurie
                      Age 57
                      Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
                      Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
                      Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
                      Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
                      Dr Munish Gupta
                      UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

I will chime in and say ditto to the shoulder blade itchiness and occasional pain there and I am 18 months post-op. Like Debbie, I think my itchies were the worst at about a year. It's so frustrating because you can't scratch them--it's beneath the surface. Sometimes I get a lot of itching when my massage therapist works on me and he says that's from nerves being activated and coming back to life. I can get that shoulder blade pain if I've been driving or riding in a car for a long time. We think we should be over and done with some of this stuff and yet have to remember our bodies are still healing even after a year or more.
                        Hang in --sounds like you're doing so much better!

Anne in PA
                        Age 58
                        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                        T4 to sacrum fusion
                        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Pilar,
                          I looked at your before and after x rays and you are an AMAZING person!!!! Very brave and I am so glad that you were able to correct your spine. I will say a prayer that ou keep healing well, and that this is just a minor set back.

Comment

I still occasionally have an itching flare-up. And it IS impossible to scratch. So I take Claritin or Zertec or a generic form and it always seems to help me anyway. I always have some on hand cuz it can drive you crazy! Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                            X