Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still not ready to make a decision about revision!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still not ready to make a decision about revision!

OH WHAT TO DO! I had the last two surgeies so close together that I can't wrap my head around another one. But I don't want to live like this. Then I fell in the middle of the night. Fell backwards onto my butt, and hit the incision that they took the screws out of my pelvic bone six weeks ago. Now I have a terrible pain that is steady in my left rear end. It will let up when I am laying down , but steady pounding pain when I'm up. Am putting ice on it. I am so bent over when I walk, and since the fall I have been using a walker. Make me feel 20 years older than my already 59 yrs. But ya gatta do what ya gotta do. Please tell me , should I wait for a while to think about revision? Strength to go forward is hard. Even though I am in terrible pain, even before the fall. I think most of you know my story, so I won't go into that. The surgeon that HELPED with the last surgery wants me to go to Twin City Spine Center. Good surgeons there from what I heard. I have some complications that my last surgeon can't handle, I guess. I guess I will first have to talk to one of the surgeons in Minniapolis before I make a discision. This is a terrible quality of life. Thanks for letting me vent guys!! I wish you all well. (((Hugs))) babyboomer16
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

So sorry you fell. Should you call the last surgeon you had 6 weeks ago and let them know? It has to be a very difficult decision but I sure would contact the Twin Spine Center. I think there have been lots of good reviews of them on here. Good luck. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Boomer...

I think you probably already know what the right thing to do is. You're the only one who can really know. Considering your previous outcomes, it doesn't surprise me that you're reluctant to do anything. But, you've got to assume that having someone with a lot of experience doing your revision is different than having your local guy do it. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he probably hasn't done a lot of really complex cases. There's a world of difference.

I guess you have to ask yourself if you can stand to live the rest of your life no better than you are today.

Hang in there!

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Support is so great~~~from people that really know!!

Doodles= I got on the phone and called the surgeon yesterday afternoon. He prescibed an antiflamitory that is to take the swelling out. And I think it's finially starting to let up this afternoon. Thank-you for your reply . I need to hear these things from people that have been through this, as in the midst of all the pain, it's sometimes hard to remember my name , let alone make a big decision. I see you had six osteotomies-and a cage, all posterior~~~I can't go back and look as I type this, but I'm thinking that's what you wrote. What a surgery! Best wishes to you~~ boomer

Linda= You are so right about what you said in regard to this whole thing . I know already what I want to do. And I certainly like the part about good reviews regarding the Twin City Spine Center. I just have to put together a plan of action. But that involves some doing. Not that it's so terribly, terribly far, it's certain things that have to fall into place. I'm sure you know what I mean. But the Dr. that advised it, said he would set it all up for me when I'm ready. I feel much better just reading your post. It helps to put things into perspective sometimes, when it comes from someone else.
        Hope you are doing well. Will keep you posted. Thanks for everything! boomer
        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
        May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Doodles~~~

I was mstaken!!
          You had two cages and six osteotomies all posterior. And fused from T2 to pelvic. Wow!
          Hope all is well! boomer
          May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Boomer--
            Glad you got the RX and hope it helps while you make the decisions. I'm doing really well for the most part. I hope it all works out for you! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
            X