Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got some new symptoms - has anyone else had these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got some new symptoms - has anyone else had these?

Hi!

I posted a few days ago as I think that I may need revision surgery as I have developed 2 more curves since my original fusion surgery.

Over the last two days Ive had some symptoms that are scaring me. My left foot keeps going hot and cold and my right leg has become very wobbly and juddery. I feel very unstable on my right leg as I just dont seem to have much control over it. Ive had a similar kind of thing happen with my right arm before except for the fact that when I also had pins and needles when it happened in my arm. The pain in my spine is really quite unbearable now too.

When it happened to my arm my spinal surgeon said it was neurological and nothing to do with him so he sent me for loads of neurological tests which all came back negative.

I was wondering if this could be to do with the new curves in my back? Has anyone else had anything similar happen to them?

Thank you for reading my post.

Katie

Ask Neorologist if You are B12 Deficient

I've been have exact symptoms as you described and saw my doc for MRI results today. Doc feels numbness in arm and leg are not caused by spinal issue since the numbness is not the entire arm and leg, but it starts from the knee down and elbow to hand. I'm SO glad my hubby was with me because he asked doc if changing from B12 injections (I have severe B12 deficiency) to B12 nasal spray (I loathe injections) might have played a part in the numbness. Doc stepped out of the room, came back and said she looked up symptoms of B12 deficiency and said there is a very strong possibility the change from injection to spray may be causing the numbness.

As soon as we came home, I looked at the dosage of the injections v. spray and guess what. Injections were 1,000 mcg and nasal spray were only 500 mcg. I'm a little frustrated that the neurologist who prescribed B12 spray cut my dose in half. I left a message for her to ask if I can just double up on the spray.

Last year I went through extensive neurological tests to rule our MS as I had all the symptoms of MS. Neurologist determined I had a severe B12 deficiency. Shortly after taking B12 injections, most of the issues went away.

Warmly,
    Doreen

All in all, I'm thankful I've taken the steps to figure out what been going on with my body.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks very much for this reply Doreen. I was tested for B12 deficiency and was told that it was normal. The symptoms I have certainly sound similar to yours though - do they come and go? I had a spell of it in my arm for 2 months before but it just recovered by itself. I was tested for MS too and was found to be clear. I cant help but think it has something to do with my back as it happens at times when my back is at its worse.

Im really glad your symptoms went away - bit frustrating that they occurred due to a dosage mistake though, it must have been very worrying for you.

Thanks again for replying, I think I will mention B12 again to my Doctor again - just in case!

Best wishes

Katie

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
      I've been have exact symptoms as you described and saw my doc for MRI results today. Doc feels numbness in arm and leg are not caused by spinal issue since the numbness is not the entire arm and leg, but it starts from the knee down and elbow to hand. I'm SO glad my hubby was with me because he asked doc if changing from B12 injections (I have severe B12 deficiency) to B12 nasal spray (I loathe injections) might have played a part in the numbness. Doc stepped out of the room, came back and said she looked up symptoms of B12 deficiency and said there is a very strong possibility the change from injection to spray may be causing the numbness.

As soon as we came home, I looked at the dosage of the injections v. spray and guess what. Injections were 1,000 mcg and nasal spray were only 500 mcg. I'm a little frustrated that the neurologist who prescribed B12 spray cut my dose in half. I left a message for her to ask if I can just double up on the spray.

Last year I went through extensive neurological tests to rule our MS as I had all the symptoms of MS. Neurologist determined I had a severe B12 deficiency. Shortly after taking B12 injections, most of the issues went away.

Warmly,
      Doreen

All in all, I'm thankful I've taken the steps to figure out what been going on with my body.

Warmly,
      Doreen

Comment

Saw my doctor today about the wobbly leg, he is sending me to the vascular clinic to check i havent had a stroke and he doesnt think it is anything to do with my scoliosis. Ive googled the symptoms and it seems like other people with scoliosis have had the same thing happen to them. I really hope thats what it is as I dont want another thing to be wrong with me. Plus, I am struggling to walk at the moment and if I have had a stroke I am worried that it will be permanent. So scared.

Originally posted by curvykatie View Post
        Hi!

I posted a few days ago as I think that I may need revision surgery as I have developed 2 more curves since my original fusion surgery.

Over the last two days Ive had some symptoms that are scaring me. My left foot keeps going hot and cold and my right leg has become very wobbly and juddery. I feel very unstable on my right leg as I just dont seem to have much control over it. Ive had a similar kind of thing happen with my right arm before except for the fact that when I also had pins and needles when it happened in my arm. The pain in my spine is really quite unbearable now too.

When it happened to my arm my spinal surgeon said it was neurological and nothing to do with him so he sent me for loads of neurological tests which all came back negative.

I was wondering if this could be to do with the new curves in my back? Has anyone else had anything similar happen to them?

Thank you for reading my post.

Katie

Comment

Working...
        X