How do you define "bending"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you define "bending"?

I'm 6 weeks post surgery and I've been very very careful to follow instructions. But I'm wondering today how you exactly define bending. Seems obvious I guess, but I'm wondering how far down it's safe to reach. I was just sitting on a low bed, lower than knee high and reached over to pick up a credit card I'd dropped on the floor, and realized that I had "bent" somewhat, but wasn't sure if I'd broken a rule. I was wearing my brace that I have to wear except for showering and changing clothes.
    Diagnosed at age 13
    Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
    Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
    Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
    Post surgery 26 degrees
    Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Originally posted by paula View Post
    I'm 6 weeks post surgery and I've been very very careful to follow instructions. But I'm wondering today how you exactly define bending. Seems obvious I guess, but I'm wondering how far down it's safe to reach. I was just sitting on a low bed, lower than knee high and reached over to pick up a credit card I'd dropped on the floor, and realized that I had "bent" somewhat, but wasn't sure if I'd broken a rule. I was wearing my brace that I have to wear except for showering and changing clothes.
    Hi Paula...

Yes, you're not supposed to do that. We're told not to break 90 degrees, which is not bending forward at all from a sitting position. My surgeon is pretty liberal when it comes to post-op recovery stuff, and he said that bending a little bit is not going to hurt anything because the implants are so secure. So, you probably didn't do any damage, but you might want to try to be more aware of bending.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda, As you probably know, it's getting harder to remember as I get feeling better, but I'll have to work on it some more. I really don't want to mess this up.
      Diagnosed at age 13
      Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
      Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
      Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
      Post surgery 26 degrees
      Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Comment

get a grabber if you don't already have one! =) I still use mine almost everyday, (I actually have 2 now, one for upstairs and one for downstairs lol) I don't really need it any more, but it saves my knees from squatting, and my lowest discs any unnecessary bending. it's also great for doing laundry, and getting things that slide/fall under/in-between things like the couch.

you can find them at walmart and CVS.

**You know you've reached a new point in your marriage and life when your husband brings home a "surprise" grabber and it's like getting flowers =)**

Hope you're recovery goes well!
        Rebecca
        Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
        wore night bending brace as teenager
        Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
        herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
        fusion L2-3 November 2008
        Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
        Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
        Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
        gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
        Before and After X-rays
        My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

I kept from bending at all for the first 3 months after surgery. I used my knees instead.
          After that, I actually started doing some daily and progressive bending exercises, together with others, with my physiotherapist.

Thanks to that and to the rest of the work-out (mostly swimming and hill-walking) I can now bend to touch my toes (11 months after surgery). I just found out today I can do this!!!

Comment

Working...
          X