Hoping don't get logged out-new and surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoping don't get logged out-new and surgery

Hi there, Will keep this short as when I go to post I seem to log out.
    I feel like I know most of you. I have a 55 deg thoracolumbar, was 47 deg two years ago and one deg below needing a brace in my teens. Don't have great pain just discomfort and a feeling my torso is collapsing whilst sitting. I'm also feeling more laboured when I walk. Dr Cree (Sydney) said if I don'r have the surgery my discs will likely degenerate causing more pain and deformity. My right hip has always stuck out and this has worsened. The Doc believes my future quality of life will be better with the surgery compared to without. I am booked for the 11 Aug. He plans to fuse from T9 to either T3 or T4. When I asked about the possibility of further fusion on L5 he said he chose levels with the aim of avoiding further surgery.
    Hope I'm tough, I know I will go to hell and hopefully back. Sometimes it feels like a lose lose situation.
    Kelly
    49 yrs
    55 deg thoracolumbar
    Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
    49 yrs
    55 deg thorocolumbar
    Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

Yay that worked

I seem to log out when I go to post, maybe it's a time thing.
    Thanks to Jen for your support while I was waiting to get on here. Is anyone else fused T9 to L4? How is your flexibility?
    Kelly
    49 yrs
    55 deg thorocolumbar

Comment

Wiping the Bottom!

Can you wipe your bottom ok with a T9 to L4 fusion? I'm keeping messages short because my post logs out when I write a long post, and it seems independent of what computer I use. Frustrating, I've written some long ones that wouldn't go through.
      Kelly
      49 yrs
      55 deg thorocolumbar

Comment

Kelly--
        Welcome. Glad you finally got it to work for you. I'm toT2 to S1 so my flexibility does make the toileting situation difficult especially at the beginning. But like with all the flexibility issues if you are to the pelvis, you eventually get a little better all the time. I can't speak for L4 folks. Best of luck to you in August. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I don't know how to solve your log out problem, but as far as the wiping goes, yes you can manage it. I am only 5.5 weeks post surgery, and I'm not allowed to bend, lift or twist yet, and it's still possible. For right now, the PT to me to stand up a bit and then squat over the toilet while I wipe. I think it will get better too, as the restrictions are lifted.

And, if this helps, I am, as I said, only 5.5 weeks past surgery, but I am very happy with the results. I am 2 inches taller, so where my waist seemed to be collapsing as you said, it now looks almost straight. I'll actually be able to wear things that are tucked in or have a waistline again. (I've also lost weight without trying, 10 pounds since the surgery.) The pain that I felt from the scoliosis is gone. I do still have some pain from the surgery, but not nearly as much as I had expected. Before the surgery, I wasn't able to walk much any more because of the pain, or sit, or, well anything without pain. Obviously I haven't tried walking a lot ways, but what I've done feels good. I'm very glad I had it done. Also, I think that my lungs were beginning to be affected in the months before the surgery because I was feeling short of breath a lot, and I think that's better too.

I started exercising pretty seriously six months before the surgery because I was in pretty bad shape then. I was in a master's degree program and had really gained weight and gotten out of shape. I managed to lose 15 pounds that way, and was in much much better physical shape. I also went to a psychologist who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy and we worked through my specific fears about the surgery, and ways to cope with them. I got a prescription for Celexa to take nightly-- it's an anti-anxiety medication, and I just decided that if it helped, great-- no need to be so worried through the whole thing. Just four sessions with the psychologist helped immensely, so I went into the surgery calmly and have stayed calm through most of it. In the end, none of it was as bad as I expected. The first week was very hard, but again not as bad as I thought. I think that the preparation really made a big difference. I also went to a rehab hospital but ended up leaving after 4 days because I was doing so well-- climbing stairs, getting into a tub shower on my own, only 12 days after surgery-- so the more preparation you can do physically, the better. I was also fortunate enough to have a college age son and a husband around, both with fairly flexible work hours, and my mother, who's elderly, but still cooks, and was good company. If you can freeze some dinners ahead of time, that's very helpful. I also stocked up on things like cat food so that others didn't have so many errands to run. Oh, and I graduated with my MA in Speech Language Pathology three weeks before the surgery, so maybe I had a little bit of a high from that. I've attached a photo of myself, 8 days after surgery, being transferred to the rehab hospital, by a pair of handsome young EMTs.
          photo.jpeg

So I hope some of that helped.
          Diagnosed at age 13
          Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
          Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
          Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
          Post surgery 26 degrees
          Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Comment

Looks like you have to click on the link to see the photo. I still haven't figured the attachments out here.
            Diagnosed at age 13
            Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
            Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
            Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
            Post surgery 26 degrees
            Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Comment

Hi Kelly, glad to see you made it. Not sure what the log-out problem is but keep up the short posts with questions and I hope you get plenty of response. Not long now. Are you walking? Walking's so good for you pre-op. Aside from the physical benefits, it helps with your anxiety.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks Paula

Hi paula,
                I relate to what you're saying about the career and wanting to put this behind you before you get out there. Congrats on your Masters. I just got my provisional psychologist registration in April (finished studying last year). I am provisional for 2 years before full registration. I thought I would use the accumulated leave from my cushy counselling job for the op and it is an easy job to return to. I don't want this surgery to disrupt private practice or a more demanding position in the future. I think maybe all the sitting with study and this job may have been detrimental to progression also, just a hunch..excuse the pun.
                kelly
                49 yrs
                55 deg thorocolumbar

Comment

Working...
                X