No announcement yet.

melissa's surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. This should be the worst of it. Having been through it before, you know the beginning few weeks are the most difficult. Try to stay hydrated with juices and even soda so your sodium and potassium levels don't go down. It is an easy fix so you don't have more trouble. (You might remember my experience with this.) The meds also contribute to feeling "down."

Just know there are many people here cheering for you.

Hugs, Irene

Comment

Today was a good day. I got 2 hours of PT and 2 hours of OT today. My surgeon is very pleased with my surgery and I saw the Xrays . I am very straight. I have to get used to my new restrictions. He will not allow me to shower until the end of the week, at the earliest.

Thanks for the good wishes

Melissa
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Melissa,
        That is just wonderful--a straight spine! I do hope this is the surgery that helps you get out from under all the pain. I'm sure you have a lot of healing and recovering yet to do, but this sounds so encouraging! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Melissa...

Hang in there. It will get better. You have months of rehab ahead of you, so try to take things a day at a time, and try not to let the little stuff get to you. If you think you're getting depressed, please mention it to whatever doctor is taking care of you. It's VERY easy to get depressed during the post-op period, and depression makes everything so much harder to handle.

I got an email from Dr. B earlier this afternoon, and he thinks you're doing great. Hope that's the case.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I am doing well. I am looking forward to Wednesday because I can get into a private room then. I have scheduled my anterior surgery for September 9th

Thanks for good wishes

Melissa
            Melissa

Comment

I am having A/P surgery with Dr Bederman September 9th. He says that I will be in the hospital 4-5 days and then I will go directly home. This does not seem to me to be what I have read about this surgery. Any opinions?

Melissa
              Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                Hi Melissa...

I got an email from Dr. B earlier this afternoon, and he thinks you're doing great. Hope that's the case.

Regards,
                Linda
                I know that he feels that I am doing great and today I agree

Melissa
                Melissa

Comment

Melissa

I cant imagine how painful this must have been for you and the fact that you are posting so early after all of this really is a good sign......and your new back should give reason to be pleased, all of this will be in the past soon. Time fly’s by very very quickly, it really does.

Try to take it easy for now. Just a little bit each day.

It hard to voice an opinion on any extreme surgical procedures without being a surgeon....

Do you stay there, go to rehab, or go home before Sept 6th? What is your schedule? Do you know?

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed, Thanks for the good wishes. I am in rehab now. I would imagine that when I are discharged from here I would go home until September 9. It just seems from , from I remember, that Anterior surgeries are not as easy as Dr Bederman is making it out to me

Melissa
                    Melissa

Comment

Bad night- I got a room mate at 8pm . She is the room mate from hell. First of all, she is hard of hearing so her TV goes on right away and it is so high that I cannot hear my show so the nurse has to tell her that it needs to be turned down. She is not happy . Then she wants the nurse to unpack her personal items. She is most definitely not happy now after the nurse tells her no that they are not allowed to unpack a patients personal items.. Then the nurse wants her to answer the intake questions. She tries to answer but she keeps interrupting herself to complain . I go to bed at 11pm. I am asleep until 2am when I am awoken up by her loud music.I lay there until 5:30am when I get up because I can no lie there in bed knowing sleep will not come.Then when I get out of bed, I am hit with so most pain in my neck and right side of my body. Then my nurse comes to get blood from my central line and tells me that it has shut down and that I am going to have to have blood drawn. My nurse gives me my 6am pain pills at 5:30am but they have not done anything for my pain.
                      This is going to be a long day

Melissa
                      Last edited by mabeckoff; 07-26-2011, 09:28 AM.
                      Melissa

Comment

Ooh I feel for you. How inconsiderate people can be. I'm surprised the staff don't say something because sleep is important for healing. Is there any chance you can be moved? Yes, a long day ahead but if you can be moved, at least you might get some sleep. I believe stress plays a part in pain. So it's important to keep stress levels down if at all possible.

I'm so angry about your room-mate.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks Jennifer. The day has gotten better but not the room mate situation There is no place to move to.

Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

Melissa, I'm glad you had one good day. I can't believe the rudeness of some people to be so inconsiderate of other people trying to sleep. The nurse really should address this with your roommate from hell. Don't your call buttons have speakers for the TV sound?
                            Take care and I hope things improve for you.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Well, I got moved from the roommate from hell and I got my central line out today. Still cannot shower for another week but I am coming along nicely

Melissa
                              Melissa

Comment

Great news on both fronts! Hope you can catch up on some sleep tonight Melissa.
                                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                                X