Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daughter had surgery on June 23rd... but other things are moving now???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter had surgery on June 23rd... but other things are moving now???

I have been reading this forum for a yr now, but never posted. I am just concerned because my 12 yr old daughter had her surgery on June 23rd of this year. She is healing nicely, but every time she takes a shower, I can notice something else on her shifting allignment.. first it was her left rib cage, it protruded out, but now that looks normal. Now her hips are really off...and her shoulders are lopp sided. Prior to surgery her upper curve was a 70 degree curvature, and her lower was 40. She was supposed to have an 8 level fusion, but when the neurosurgeon got inside her, he said it was worse then he thought, and he did 11 level fusion. I am nervous, she is nervous, and her Dr. is so dang busy, we can't even get in to see him until Aug 22nd!! Help please

Way too early to know what the final situation will be.

My one daughter had a high left shoulder for several weeks that she stressed about. It came level.

The other daughter had a trunk lean for months and months but slowly resolved.

The bones are now in alignment but it takes time for the soft tissue to adjust. These surgeons do things for a final result, not an intermediate one.

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi, you say her surgery was June 23, she should have had a appt. with Dr. in 4 to 6 weeks, every surgery I ever had I saw the Dr. in a few weeks. I just had 2 surgery front and back, and appt. was in 6 weeks. good luck. LU

Comment

I agree with Lue but the appointment she has is 8 weeks post-op which is probably close enough to 6 weeks which is the protocol our surgeon used.

Just for information sake for other parents in case they care, our surgeon had the following protocol with both my daughters:

6 weeks - post op check
        8 months - check and release from physical restrictions
        20 months - one year after the 8 month appt.
        Yearly visits thereafter until released at skeletal maturity.

My one kid had a "hug" injury at about 2.5 weeks so we saw him at 3 weeks instead of the 6 week appointment. We had to come in very early in the morning because his dance card fills months out but he agreed to take us early to check for damage.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thank you for the information. It is beyond appreciated. Just nice to hear from others that have had the same experience.

Comment

Working...
          X