Peggy Huddleston's book Prepare for surgery , heal faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peggy Huddleston's book Prepare for surgery , heal faster

I just got a copy of her book and skimmed throrugh it. I was wondering if anyone has used her technigues of having the surgeon say phrases during surgery and how it has helped?

Thanks

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Good question
    I just got the book and CD, and just started reading it. I have surgery in one month, and I would like to know about it also.
    Thanks
    Cindi B

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
    I just got a copy of her book and skimmed throrugh it. I was wondering if anyone has used her technigues of having the surgeon say phrases during surgery and how it has helped?

Thanks

Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa...

I personally don't think I'd ask my surgeon to do that, as I'd be concerned that it would be distracting (for the surgeon, not the patient). I think it probably wouldn't hurt if the surgeon was doing something that they could do by rote, but no two scoliosis surgeries are the same.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Hi Melissa...

I personally don't think I'd ask my surgeon to do that, as I'd be concerned that it would be distracting (for the surgeon, not the patient). I think it probably wouldn't hurt if the surgeon was doing something that they could do by rote, but no two scoliosis surgeries are the same.

--Linda
        That is exactly what I was thinking. I want his mind on my operation and nothing else

Melissa
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I bought this book before my surgery and couldn't get past the first chapter. It's just not my thing

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I had a list of statements I wanted said and made copies for other people in the operating room. I put them in clear plastic folders. People at New England Baptist Hospital are used to this request. I have no idea if these positive statements were said but they told me they were. I also requested calm music. Someone told me Dr. Rand doesn't have hard rock playing anyway. My surgery was 11 hours.

We have so little control over what happens during the surgery. It made me feel better having a little control using Huddleston's suggestions. I also listened to the other parts of her CD about before the surgery and healing. If nothing else, it focused my mind during the last few weeks.

Hopefully, all of it helped.

Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
            X