Thread: Peggy Huddleston's book Prepare for surgery , heal faster

Peggy Huddleston's book Prepare for surgery , heal faster

I just got a copy of her book and skimmed throrugh it. I was wondering if anyone has used her technigues of having the surgeon say phrases during surgery and how it has helped?

Thanks

Melissa

Good question
    I just got the book and CD, and just started reading it. I have surgery in one month, and I would like to know about it also.
    Thanks
    Cindi B

Quote Originally Posted by mabeckoff View Post
    I just got a copy of her book and skimmed throrugh it. I was wondering if anyone has used her technigues of having the surgeon say phrases during surgery and how it has helped?

Thanks

Melissa

Hi Melissa...

I personally don't think I'd ask my surgeon to do that, as I'd be concerned that it would be distracting (for the surgeon, not the patient). I think it probably wouldn't hurt if the surgeon was doing something that they could do by rote, but no two scoliosis surgeries are the same.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Hi Melissa...

I personally don't think I'd ask my surgeon to do that, as I'd be concerned that it would be distracting (for the surgeon, not the patient). I think it probably wouldn't hurt if the surgeon was doing something that they could do by rote, but no two scoliosis surgeries are the same.

--Linda
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I want his mind on my operation and nothing else

Melissa

I bought this book before my surgery and couldn't get past the first chapter. It's just not my thing

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

backissues Guest
    I had a list of statements I wanted said and made copies for other people in the operating room. I put them in clear plastic folders. People at New England Baptist Hospital are used to this request. I have no idea if these positive statements were said but they told me they were. I also requested calm music. Someone told me Dr. Rand doesn't have hard rock playing anyway. My surgery was 11 hours.

We have so little control over what happens during the surgery. It made me feel better having a little control using Huddleston's suggestions. I also listened to the other parts of her CD about before the surgery and healing. If nothing else, it focused my mind during the last few weeks.

Hopefully, all of it helped.

Good luck!!