Pre-op today - have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-op today - have questions

I went for my pre-op today and met with a resident. I will be meeting with my surgeon Wednesday but the resident said somethings that I have questions on. He said that my surgery is going to be 12-14 hours long. Could this be correct? My first surgery was about 8 hours. Also, he said that Dr Bederman was not going to use BMP but rather my own bones. Where would he be getting these bones from?

Thanks

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

I suggest you ask where he is getting the bone. I suggest you do NOT allow it to be from your hip. Long term pain at the harvest site is the last thing you need.

SRSLY.

Good luck, Melissa.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Bring a black sharpie. Write in caps on a diagonal across the entire consent form,

"NO BONE HARVEST FROM THE ILIAC CREST. SRSLY."

I have a friend who is dealing with this pain years later but has no pain associated with her fusion. It never goes away it seems. Some surgeons are acknowledging this.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Bring a black sharpie. Write in caps on a diagonal across the entire consent form,

"NO BONE HARVEST FROM THE ILIAC CREST. SRSLY."

I have a friend who is dealing with this pain years later but has no pain associated with her fusion. It never goes away it seems. Some surgeons are acknowledging this.
        Thanks for the advice. I have the question to ask on Wednesday

Melissa
        Melissa

Comment

What are other places to get bone?

Melissa
          Melissa

Comment

Linda would know better but they include the spine itself and the ribs.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Perhaps one more question for your surgeon on Wednesday: Why no BMP?

I was given donor bone, BMP and they used my own spine bone from laminectomies and osteotomies. I was so glad to avoid having it taken from my iliac crest.

Glad to read you're feeling a little better today. Have you thought about ringing round some GPs? Or asking your surgeon to recommend one...that is if think you still need some help with anxiety. If all else fails, prior to surgery, ask for a pre-op sedative. I was given one (tablet) and I remember nothing more until waking up in ICU. I was so grateful that I never saw the inside of the operating room.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

They're probably planning on using local bone. Osteotomy sites supply a good amount of bone.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                  Perhaps one more question for your surgeon on Wednesday: Why no BMP?

I was given donor bone, BMP and they used my own spine bone from laminectomies and osteotomies. I was so glad to avoid having it taken from my iliac crest.

Glad to read you're feeling a little better today. Have you thought about ringing round some GPs? Or asking your surgeon to recommend one...that is if think you still need some help with anxiety. If all else fails, prior to surgery, ask for a pre-op sedative. I was given one (tablet) and I remember nothing more until waking up in ICU. I was so grateful that I never saw the inside of the operating room.
                  With neither of my surgeries, did I see the inside of the OR and I do not plan on it this time. The last thing I remember is being in the pre-op room and then being in ICU

Melissa
                  Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    They're probably planning on using local bone. Osteotomy sites supply a good amount of bone.
                    Good to know

Thanks

Melissa
                    Melissa

Comment

hi Melissa
                      a few practical suggestions...

if meals will be a problem, may i suggest buying some quick stuff...Lean Cuisine type
                      stuff (micro wave easy)...also, there are many brands that make pre ready protein shakes ("odwalla" is one brand sold all over CA)...not as good as home made, but IF you have a problem with having someone prepare food for you, ready make protein shakes could be a quickie help to keep up your strength till a full meal was available...
                      also, there are places to order all kinds of ready made meals online....costs money, but would be better than nothing,...no?

also...all hospitals have social workers...a request to meet with her/him is in order if home care is a problem (any chance you will be in after care/rehab?)...they could be a good source for getting someone to help you at home, even if just a person to shop or to stop in and see what you need....if you have time to call a local church/synagogue that is another option...they often have a list of volunteers...i know you are new to your area...but there is always a way to get info on religious houses of worship online...if you can make the time to sit at the computer a little bit, phone numbers should be available to make some calls...

i hope and pray all goes well for you...you have been thru so much surgery...
                      now you have a top surgeon in the field...hope that gives you peace of mind...if anyone can make things right, he is surely the guy....

wishing you the best...an excellent outcome...
                      jess

Comment

Working...
                      X