• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TO JENNIFER & AMY:

Thank you both.

I think the key phrase that just might open the door for me is

Men's wide neck t shirt

I actually did a google search using the phrase "Men's Wide Neck T-Shirt" and what I got, what I came up with was simply, well, I was overjoyed with HOPE.

For example, these are just two of several that came up:

http://www.shopmania.com/men-s-cloth...mt107-10584911

and

http://www.shopmania.com/men-s-cloth...shirt-13232477

Now if I could just find STORES that sell them, I can go there, try them on, and if they "work", if they do the job of helping to make me look less freaky/hunched over, I'll actually have a solution to this one aspect -- a MAJOR ASPECT -- of the scoliosis/kyphosis nightmare that has marred my life since it was first detected at age 14, and when all the teasing and total plunge of self-esteem began, what has been almost three decades of daily emotional anguish and self-loathing.

I know I have a lot more work to do, in locating where I can find stores or outlets that carry them, but it's one step closer to some emotional sanity for perhaps the first time in 30 years.

Again, any more info anyone comes up with, I'm all ears.

And thank you for giving me hope. Maybe one day I can come back on here and tell you how that hope panned out, but that's getting ahead of myself. First things first.

Again, bless you all. Thank you. If I sound overly emotional, it's just I've had decades of DEEP scarring emotional pain from the disfiguring conditions I developed just as my teen years were beginning.

And today the simple phrase ... MEN'S WIDE-NECK T-SHIRT -- may have just given me a life back in the form of some sense of comfort. I really hate feeling hideous-looking. I would so love to have some comfort again in my own skin.
    Last edited by so_shy; 07-14-2016, 06:12 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Isn't Google wonderful? We were all browsing through men's t-shirt catalogues when all we had to do was type in Wide necked T-shirt!

I hope you can find a shop that stocks them and they do the job you are hoping for.

Let us know how you go!
      Jen
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger
        This doesn't specifically address your questions about wider necks on t-shirts, but my son also has really disliked the way clothes hug his kyphosis (which, because of his scoliosis, is asymmetric - one should blade is raised while everything else looks symmetric.)

We made an appointment with a personal shopper at Nordstroms (free service) and she was really terrific and found him clothing that he feels much more comfortable in.

First point: re "personal shopper at Nordstroms?"

Is this something I can request, something I can do in private, without other shoppers/people observing. My self-esteem is so shot, I'd just crumble if I had to stand around with someone trying to help me with finding clothes for this condition as other shoppers were staring. I would hate for it to be a spectacle, as in, hey, what's going on with that guy ... I just don't want to draw attention to what I'm doing, that's how embarrassed I am about feeling horrible about my condition.

Second point: in my research for wide-neck men's shirts/tee-shirts, I'm running into a lot of trouble now. It seems most of the wide-neck shirts I found have to be ordered online, and I can't do that (it's a long story). My situation is such, that right now, I can only buy clothes if I go OUT, to a store, an purchase them. I cannot order things online.

And I tried looking online at Sears, Macys, Kmart, Target, and others for any collections they have and I can't find wide-neck tee shirts. I so need to have the name brands of wide-neck shirts and what particular department stores have them so I can simply go down to that store, find that shirt, and try it on in a dressing room. For example, let's say there's a exact brand name, Blah-Blah's Wide Neck Men's Tees being sold at K-mart. (The thought of going to a department store, and searching out, looking all over, trying to find wide-necks would just overwhelm me ... anxiety in trying to find them would consume me ... literally make me panic-stricken.)

I'm not the most computer literate and my google searches have failed to provide many any SPECIFIC named wide-neck men's tees, and SPECIFIC clothing stores I could go to. I just want names so I can simply GO, try them on. I need to go with shirt name and store name already solved. I can't being going on a search mission, again, because panic would set in. I'm just an easily panicky person.

I don't know if I should be requesting this, but could someone with time, and more computer know-how than I, find SPECIFIC BRAND NAMES of wide-neck tee shirts and SPECIFIC STORE/DEPARMENT names that carry them so I can just shoot in, try them on ...I mean just go directly to these stores, instead of some crazy search for "a needle in a haystack" so to speak.

(Sorry if I repeated myself a lot ... I just really have so many emotional hang-ups and fears over all this, and they really and literally hold me down ... as in so panic-stricken I freeze up, get all anxious.) I used to go years ago to stores looking ... and without specific names -- the mad search among all the different clothes, any clothes, that might "fit" left my totally wiped out emotionally, especially after a long frantic search produced no findings.

I don't know if I'm making this clear, I'm writing rather frantically. But maybe this analogy would help. If someone said there's a wide-neck men's shirt called Zoldies, and it's available at K-mart. Or there's a wide-neck men's tee shirt called Labadoo, it's sold at JC Pennys. And with such info, I could just go to K-Mart and JC Penny's and simply go in and find (or ask where it's located) Zoldies or Labadoo shirts.

(I hope this post hasn't given anyone a headache and I sincerely apologize if it has. I'm just tired of feeling so horrible and I really want to solve this one particular aspect of my struggle with having scoliosis ... an kyphosis and lordosis).
        Last edited by so_shy; 09-12-2011, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger
          Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.
          Thank you so much, hdugger.

I had tried V-necks years ago but found the back of the shirts still hugged close around the neck.

This one you found http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/j-c-rags...esultback=4074 is very much what I"ve been looking for.

I did a search for "scoop neck" men's shirts and found:

http://terencesambowrites.blogspot.c...neck-tees.html

http://www.isibongo.com/product/22/2...vis-Black.html

I hope I can find these in stores. (I want to be able to try them on, see what I look like in the mirror.)

Thank you again for all the information. I'll let you know how I make out as I continue the search.

Comment

Working...
          X