Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga post fusion

Hi All,
    I know there are posts "out there" regarding yoga after a fusion, but I can't find them? I thought I was fused T10 to S1 but found out it's T10 thru L5. I was going to start yoga, but I am now concerned about "wearing out" the space between L5 & S1. What do you guys know about this? I'm 2 years post surgery in July, have zero back pain, & need to step up my physical activity. My MD's PA said anything strengthening core is great, but she said any twisting, forward bending/folding, or backwards motion was contraindicated. The yoga class is a group & I don't want to go & just wind up in "child's pose" for most of the class.
    Thanks for any replies. Please forgive my whining, there are many of you out there who are in early recovery & pain. Truly, I am soooo grateful that I've had a marvelous recovery.
    Deanna
    66 yrs. old, Dr. Nitin Bhatia at UCI Medical Center in Orange, CA, 51 degree curve corrected to around 21, everything possible was wrong with my spine....he cleaned it all up.

In honesty, you shouldn't be in child's pose either.

I was a huge lover of yoga pre-op and my PT says that if I ever return to it, it will need to be cleared with him first. Wearing out the one lumbar segment that isn't fused is a big concern for me.

I do a ton of "dead bugs" - 180 to 200 per week - and about that many pelvic "tilts" (there's not a lot of tilting going on but whatever) and have better cut in my abs than I did pre-op.

My surgery was Feb 23 of this year and I am currently in PT 6 hrs a week (3 days a week for 2 hrs). Yoga, however, is not in my scope these days.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I never thought about doing dead bugs.....great idea!
      I dropped the yoga after checking with Md's office.

Comment

Working...
      X