Bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracing

Why do some people get braced after posterior surgery and not others? Just curious.
    Pre-surgery 5/27/11
    Thoracic 48
    Lumbar 31
    Boston Brace from 1992-93
    Post surgery
    Thoracic less than 10
    Lumbar 0

Carole,
    I asked the same question before my surgery and didn't really get an answer. Some just said they were braced and others said they weren't. Dr. Lenke does not brace his patients to my knowledge. I asked his nurse why he didn't brace and she said that the instrumentation has improved so much the past several years and that your vertebrae were internally braced. She also said that your back muscles get stronger faster if they aren't relying on the support of a brace. I know that some on the forum have said that it was tough to wean off of a brace. I was not braced and hope that some how I haven't moved too much in the early stages to cause non-union. I will see the Dr. next Wed. but I don't think they can tell if you are fusing at 5 1/2 months.
    Good question. I don't understand why some do and some don't.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

It seems logical that you wouldn't be braced after surgery because you want the muscles to gain strength again. I was braced for 7 months after my spinal fusion. As much as I hated wearing it, it helped the pain quite a bit. Basically the only reason why I hated wearing it was because they fitted me for it 2 days after my surgery, and I was SO swollen. It was huge on me, even after they cut it down a little. But it really did help with the pain, and I could sit up for longer periods of time without support behind me.

I also had flat back syndrome, and my surgeon actually put an inward curve in my lower back. That might have had a part in his decision to brace me. I needed a lot of support for my lower back, and even when I wasn't wearing the brace, I needed a small pillow in the curve of my lower back until I gained my strength back and got used to the curve.

So it might just depend on the person and the case, I'm not sure.
      Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
      My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
      Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
      52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
      Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

it's really just surgeon preference. Some of the surgeons with whom I work put all of their long fusion patients in a postop brace, while others don't brace any. I was operated on by two surgeons, one of whom braces their patients and one who doesn't. The one who doesn't brace also thinks the modern implants are so secure that no brace is needed. They left it up to me as to what I wanted to do. I opted to go without the brace, as they're quite expensive, and I didn't think it was a worthwhile expense (even though insurance would have paid for it).

BTW, I also had flatback and osteotomies, and that did not make a difference in terms of the decision to brace or not.

Regards,
        Linda
        Last edited by LindaRacine; 06-16-2011, 10:47 PM.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My son and another halo-boy who was also a patient of Dr. Krajbich was instructed to wear a brace for a while (not sure how long) after surgery while my son didn't have to wear one. The only difference I can think of between the boys was that my son's curve was mostly thoracic whereas the other boy's fusion went quite a ways down his lumbar. Do you think that might have something to do with whether a brace is prescribed or not?
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

My surgeon does not brave either, but I too worry that I am doing too much so soon after surgery, just three weeks tomorrow and I certainly would not want to have to do this surgery again because I didn't fuse properly. I guess I'll have to wait until next week when I have my first post op to see what's going on...
            Pre-surgery 5/27/11
            Thoracic 48
            Lumbar 31
            Boston Brace from 1992-93
            Post surgery
            Thoracic less than 10
            Lumbar 0

Comment

Elisa...

I think that kids are braced sometimes if the surgeon is worried about an unfused compensatory curve. Most surgeons have not been bracing postop kids for many years, but I have seen a couple of kids that were put back in a brace for the compensatory curve issue.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My surgeon takes it on a case to case basis. In my situation-- he initially didn't think I would need a brace, but said to come to the hospital prepared in case I did-- so to have a tight fitting men's white t-shirt with me that would be worn underneath the brace. As it turned out, he decided after the surgery that I needed a brace. I think it was based on my long fusion (which, of course, he knew ahead of time), coupled with the condition of my spine once he actually saw it... and the osteotomies, etc. And he just felt I needed the extra support. I really can't fathom what it would have been like without the brace! I wore it for 5 months, and yes, it was work weaning off and rebuilding my back muscles, but I got through that ok, too.

Katie-- mine was fitted for me on about day 5 or 6 or so, so the swelling had gone down (mostly)-- plus it could be tightened-- had velcro on both sides, and the "boob" area was cut out, not molded. You were probably in and out quicker than I was. I was in the hospital 11 days.
                Last edited by Susie*Bee; 06-17-2011, 08:32 AM.
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Yeah, I left the hospital after day 6, and Dr. Hammerberg wan't originally going to brace me either, but then decided to, which I'm glad.

Just wondering... Were you standing or lying down when they fitted you for your brace? They gave me the option, but I didn't understand how I could lie on that tiny metal bar, so I chose to stand (which was pretty hard, because I couldn't even keep my eyes open, but somehow I stood there the whole time). : )
                  Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
                  My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
                  Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
                  52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
                  Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

Working...
                  X