Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about upcomming surgery how do I prepare??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to chime in and say that yes, Dr. Boachie is a superb surgeon. The only caveat I have is that his hospital (HSS) is a hectic, busy place with overworked and sometimes grumpy nurses, so I always tell people to try to book a night nurse (or nurse's aide) for a few days. You can book the nurse through Boachie's nurse/secretary, Lindy. It's worth every penny if you can swing it.

My pain was managed quite well in the hospital, even though the surgery is no picnic. I don't remember a lot, which is probably a good thing. Good luck to you!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Dear Singer
      Can I call you?
      or you call me? 1-914-779-1625
      thanks
      Cindi Barna

Comment

Good luck Lu!!
        You will do great Tuesday!

Please tell how your surgery went.
        saying a prayer
        Cindi

Cindi
        Originally posted by Lue View Post
        Hi Cindi, Saw Dr. wed. and doing surgery Tues. 21. He has to stbiblize, the disc at the sacrum, it is a hard disc to fuse, so he is going in the front to fuse it on the inside, and when I saw the X-rays, I could see what he means. They go in front many times, many people on this site have had that done. Lu

Comment

Would you get a nurse while in ICU? or after? They told me I would be there for the first three days. This is all getting very very scary for me. Hard to imagine! Please let me know
          thank you
          Cindi

Originally posted by Singer View Post
          Just to chime in and say that yes, Dr. Boachie is a superb surgeon. The only caveat I have is that his hospital (HSS) is a hectic, busy place with overworked and sometimes grumpy nurses, so I always tell people to try to book a night nurse (or nurse's aide) for a few days. You can book the nurse through Boachie's nurse/secretary, Lindy. It's worth every penny if you can swing it.

My pain was managed quite well in the hospital, even though the surgery is no picnic. I don't remember a lot, which is probably a good thing. Good luck to you!!

Comment

Originally posted by CindiBarna View Post
            Would you get a nurse while in ICU? or after? They told me I would be there for the first three days. This is all getting very very scary for me. Hard to imagine! Please let me know
            thank you
            Cindi
            I can't imagine that you would ever need a private nurse in the ICU. The nurse to patient ratio in most ICUs is something like 1 to 3. After my surgery in January, I went to a step down unit, and I don't recall ever having to wait for a nurse to arrive. (Of course, it's entirely possible that I never even called for a nurse, as I remember very little from those days.)

Did Dr Boachie tell you why you'd be in ICU? Chest tube? It's good to know in advance that you'll be there. After my first scoli surgeries 20 years ago, I woke up in the ICU (and on a respirator), and it really scared me, as I wasn't expecting it.

Lines
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

He said two plus days in ICU. Dr B said I will have the tube down my throat until the morning. Hopefully they will keep me asleep. That alone sounds very scary. I will ask the pain management Dr. about that, just to make sure I will be asleep.
              Saw Dr Cammisa and Dr Girardi today for a second opinion. Very different approaches/ and diff opinions. Confused.
              Cindi

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              I can't imagine that you would ever need a private nurse in the ICU. The nurse to patient ratio in most ICUs is something like 1 to 3. After my surgery in January, I went to a step down unit, and I don't recall ever having to wait for a nurse to arrive. (Of course, it's entirely possible that I never even called for a nurse, as I remember very little from those days.)

Did Dr Boachie tell you why you'd be in ICU? Chest tube? It's good to know in advance that you'll be there. After my first scoli surgeries 20 years ago, I woke up in the ICU (and on a respirator), and it really scared me, as I wasn't expecting it.

Lines

Comment

Originally posted by CindiBarna View Post
                Saw Dr Cammisa and Dr Girardi today for a second opinion. Very different approaches/ and diff opinions. Confused.
                Cindi
                That's why I think that second or more opinions aren't always helpful. If/when you find someone you feel you can really trust, and you've checked them out someplace such as this, I think that subsequent opinions only serve to be confusing.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  That's why I think that second or more opinions aren't always helpful. If/when you find someone you feel you can really trust, and you've checked them out someplace such as this, I think that subsequent opinions only serve to be confusing.
                  What Linda said is dead correct.
                  Female, age 38
                  4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                  currently 64*upper/40*lower
                  Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                  now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Cindi, I just logged on and saw your questions. I'll give you a call sometime this week.
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thank you Chris
                      I would still LOVE to hear from you. My fears are still there. I called Lindy today asked her for another appointment with Dr. Boachie so I could get alot of my questions answered, since my surgery is Aug 17th, and that is around the corner. I am seeing him this Thursday. They are very nice in that office!
                      Take care
                      Cindi

Originally posted by Singer View Post
                      Cindi, I just logged on and saw your questions. I'll give you a call sometime this week.

Comment

Dear Lu
                        I am just checking to see how you are doing now?? I hope you are feeling well!
                        Best
                        Cindi

Originally posted by Lue View Post
                        Hi Cindi, Saw Dr. wed. and doing surgery Tues. 21. He has to stbiblize, the disc at the sacrum, it is a hard disc to fuse, so he is going in the front to fuse it on the inside, and when I saw the X-rays, I could see what he means. They go in front many times, many people on this site have had that done. Lu

Comment

Upcoming surgical date.

Cindi,
                          I was so glad that my back could be helped that I actually started crossing off the days on my calender.
                          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Karen
                            I asked for another appointment with Dr. B. I am going there tomorrow, just to understand all of my procedures. His office notes to me were not specific, so I will email you after I see him, if you dont mind.
                            take care
                            Cindi

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
                            Cindi,
                            I was so glad that my back could be helped that I actually started crossing off the days on my calender.

Comment

Hi Cindi

I’m not posting and reading all that much lately, just wanted to say hi, and you will do just fine. You are in good hands!

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

cindi your are in the hands of one of the top scolio surgeons in the world. 'plus he goes and does surgery in his home country, and how i now that is because he the founder of orthopedic and complex spine my surgeon here in california and his brother in illinois goes with him.
                                Kara
                                Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                                Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                                T4-L2
                                Before 50T
                                After 20T

Comment

Working...
                                X