Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions about upcomming surgery how do I prepare??

Ed
    Thank you for saying that. Im a nervous wreck lately, so hearing about "being fine"...is just what I need to hear!!
    thanks
    Cindi

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumed View Post
    Hi Cindi

Iím not posting and reading all that much lately, just wanted to say hi, and you will do just fine. You are in good hands!

Ed

Cindi, tell me a good time to call...I've tried and gotten no answer a few times.

Everything will be okay!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

How about 11 am or noon? I appreciate. What is the name on your caller ID, so I can tell my husband to watch out for the call also. Thats a good time any day
    thanks
    Cindi

Quote Originally Posted by Singer View Post
    Cindi, tell me a good time to call...I've tried and gotten no answer a few times.

Everything will be okay!!

Dear Chris
    I could try calling you. I would still like to talk to you. I am very very afraid of this surgery. I have good days, and bad days, where I try to "chicken" out and tell myself I cant handle it, etc. I need to hear from Boachie sucess people.
    He told me yesterday that he will be doing 4 Osteotomies on me and placing 4 cages in there.. This is in addition to a ton of other things with a ton of hardware when he is finished. It sounds like too much, but I really need to let go of this, and let him do his job!
    Its 5 weeks away, and I almost wish it were next week, so I could get it done already.
    Hope to speak soon
    Best regards,
    Cindi

Quote Originally Posted by Singer View Post
    Just to chime in and say that yes, Dr. Boachie is a superb surgeon. The only caveat I have is that his hospital (HSS) is a hectic, busy place with overworked and sometimes grumpy nurses, so I always tell people to try to book a night nurse (or nurse's aide) for a few days. You can book the nurse through Boachie's nurse/secretary, Lindy. It's worth every penny if you can swing it.

My pain was managed quite well in the hospital, even though the surgery is no picnic. I don't remember a lot, which is probably a good thing. Good luck to you!!

Cindi,
    I certainly feel for you going through this turmoil. I read your post about the osteotomies and cages that Dr. Boachie will be doing. I had 6 ost. and 2 cages, but knew that Dr. Lenke (as well as Dr. Boachie) are experienced with these procedures and do them to get the best correction and results. On the other hand, the idea of having rods and screws in my back before surgery really bothered me. Do a search for a thread I started called: Is Surgery a Gamble? The caring people of this forum gave me some excellent answers when I was filled with worry and doubt before my surgery. I hope it helps.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Dear Karen
    Thank you for telling me you has 6 Ost. I feel so much better to hear from someone that had several and things went ok. the number of ost I am getting scared me terribly.
    I will look into the old posts, and thanks
    Cindi

Quote Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    Cindi,
    I certainly feel for you going through this turmoil. I read your post about the osteotomies and cages that Dr. Boachie will be doing. I had 6 ost. and 2 cages, but knew that Dr. Lenke (as well as Dr. Boachie) are experienced with these procedures and do them to get the best correction and results. On the other hand, the idea of having rods and screws in my back before surgery really bothered me. Do a search for a thread I started called: Is Surgery a Gamble? The caring people of this forum gave me some excellent answers when I was filled with worry and doubt before my surgery. I hope it helps.

Hi Cindi, I left you a phone message with my number. Hope to speak to you soon.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Cindi--
    Just wanted you to know I had 6 osteotomies and 2 cages too. I know there are others. I will make another pitch today for the Peggi Huddleston tape/book. Check Amazon if you are interested. I'm not ususally into that so much but there was just enough reading and listening that left me in a much better frame of mind for surgery. The time spent was less time worrying! You will do fine! Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

I am so glad you answered me. I ordered this from amazon this evening and will get it in a few days. In the meantime, how was your healing? How long did it take for you to feel better, or somewhat better? Were you told that the post op pain would be the same weather ONE ost. or several? Your surgeon and Boachie both sound amazing!
    Are you pain free, two years later?
    thanks
    Cindi

Quote Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
    Cindi--
    Just wanted you to know I had 6 osteotomies and 2 cages too. I know there are others. I will make another pitch today for the Peggi Huddleston tape/book. Check Amazon if you are interested. I'm not ususally into that so much but there was just enough reading and listening that left me in a much better frame of mind for surgery. The time spent was less time worrying! You will do fine! Janet

Cindi,
    I don't think the number of osteotomies or cages has anything to do with the pain. I had aches in different areas of my back, but few aches actually along my spine. My main discomfort was the abdomen due to trying to get regular. If I hadn't been told I had cages or osteotomies, I would never have known. My worries of what could go wrong and my true fear of the pain I might have after surgery were so much worse than the actual recovery for me. I realize there are others who had a rougher recovery than I have. I would say I felt pretty good after a month and it wasn't horrible during the first month.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Cindi--
    I'm with Karen about the cages and osteotomies. I wouldn't know the difference about them causing more or less pain. First month was very rough. Then I seemed to do quite well for the next few months overall. After 2 years I still have uncomfortable places for sure and certain activities add to it. Yet, I would be in a much worse spot if I hadn't had it done. Every recovery is so different. I hope the book/tape works for you. Good luck. Janet
    Janet

Cindi--
    I missed one of your questions. I don't know that I ever asked about the osteotomies before surgery or knew anything about the pain related to them so I can't help you there. Despite thinking I'd really studied and read everything before surgery--I somehow missed that one! Janet
    Janet