No announcement yet.

Hardware removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel bad you've been through so much. I wish you all the best for your surgery tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.

Mary, Age 54
    Surgery with Dr. Boachie, 7/5/11, fused T2-T12
    Pre-surgery T60, L52
    Post-surgery T26, L33
    Next surgery scheduled 9/21/11

Comment

You have certainly been through such a lot and I am thinking of you and praying for you. Best of luck and please let us know how you are going.

Lorraine
      Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
      Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Thanks so much for your prayers.
        After Tuesday's surgery I was sent home on Thursday (earlier than expected). So far I am doing well. The main problem is that I feel like my ribs have been worked over with a baseball bat - really sore. I don't know what causes this but will ask when I get the staples out on Friday. Will report back then and hope soreness subsides.

Comment

Glad to hear you're doing well Pat. I am not sure what causes sore ribs, but I see it on this forum quite a lot. Hope someone can explain it for you. Take care and hope the rest of your recovery is smooth.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Dear Pat -- I hope you are doing well with your recovery. I, too, am now recovering from hardware removal surgery (Oct. 5th) although for different reasons. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 14, had rods inserted when I was 18, and had to have them removed now (16 years later) because I developed a late onset infection. My rods became severely infected in early Spring but since I was in a school placement in another city I couldn't have the surgery until now.

The day after the surgery I had a hard time believing my surgeon that my recovery would be 2 weeks, but 10 days post I'm feeling a lot more positive. Unfortunately, I'll have to live with the PICC line (peripherally inserted central catheter) for 4-6 wks to continue to treat the underlying infection (I had been taking oral antibiotics for the 5 months prior to surgery).

Katherine

Comment

i hope both Pat and Katherine do well...
              i wish you speedy recovery and freedom from pain...

Katherine...be careful the PICC doesnt get infected...
              i had an infected PICC line years ago...ended up in ICU with septicemia!
              was very sick with that...almost died!
              just keep the area clean and dry!

jess

Comment

Katherine, can you tell us what the signs were of your late-onset infection? And how they discovered it was in your hardware? Just curious. I had imagined that 2.5 years post op, I had nothing further to worry about!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                X