Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had 2nd surgery to be fused to sacrum? Loss of mobility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had 2nd surgery to be fused to sacrum? Loss of mobility?

I had surgery when I was 12 back in 1978 and was fused to L4. Now I've had a lot of new pain deep down in my tailbone and extreme lower pelvic bone where it connects to my legs and my L4 has shifted to the left so my whole body is leaning to the left. I feel like the Leaning Tower of Pisa! Surgeons want to fuse me down to the sacrum. If you've had a similar 2nd surgery, how much mobility did you lose? The docs say since my 2 vertebrae that are left are so completely deteriorated already, I really don't have mobility in there now anyway. But can you still sit upright comfortably? Can you bend to shave your legs? Can you reach something in your car if it falls to the floor? I know I need to have the surgery but I'm so worried about losing so much more mobility.
    Thanks,
    Nancy
    Fused T3 to L4 – 1978 with Harrington rod
    Surgery Oct 21, 2011 fused L3-S1 posterior
    Dr Antonacci, Princeton, NJ

Hi Nancy...

I was fused to L3 about 20 years ago, and fused to the sacrum in January. I'm not pushing it much yet, but I've actually been surprised by how little difference there is. I taped a razor to a foot long handle, and can shave my legs relatively well. I have a small bench in the shower which helps.

Since we actually do the vast majority of our bending from the hips, it's easy to sit in a chair. Not sure I'll ever be able to sit on the floor again however.

Good luck with your decision. The surgery wasn't exactly a picnic, but in most ways, it was a lot easier than my*original surgery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thanks Linda. I love the razor idea. I'm going to do that now. It's been getting harder and harder to reach. More my right leg than left. But I've always been able to bend further on my left before. I had read about your progress on the other thread. I know you went through alot. Have you been doing better or is it still a difficult road for you? Do you know why some surgeries they seem to do anterior and posterior and others just posterior? My friend had revision surgery about 15 years ago and they went in the front, side and back. It was a tough journey for her. So far, the 2 surgeons I met with both said they would only do posterior.
      Nancy

Comment

I had revision on May 9, I was told I will be able to bend in time, not now, I am 3 in. taller by the way, I stand and put my foot on a small seat in shower and shave my legs, can't wash toes to good but I am sure I will, I feel better with this surgery then I did 9 years ago. I am walking, I have surgery pain, but all that pain before surgery is GONE, good luck, LU

Comment

Originally posted by organicnancy View Post
          thanks Linda. I love the razor idea. I'm going to do that now. It's been getting harder and harder to reach. More my right leg than left. But I've always been able to bend further on my left before. I had read about your progress on the other thread. I know you went through alot. Have you been doing better or is it still a difficult road for you? Do you know why some surgeries they seem to do anterior and posterior and others just posterior? My friend had revision surgery about 15 years ago and they went in the front, side and back. It was a tough journey for her. So far, the 2 surgeons I met with both said they would only do posterior.
          Nancy
          Hi Nancy...

I'm doing really well. I've been back to work (about 75% of normal hours) for two weeks, and feeling great. I worked 3 very long days this week and one short one. I keep expecting to pay the price for the long days, but it's just not happening. I get sore in the sacral area if I sit for too long, but I usually just stick a cold pack down my pants and the pain subsides quickly. (Looks strange, I'm sure. When I'm in clinic, I try to remember to remove the pack before I walk into one of the exam rooms.)

Your question about when A/P surgeries are done instead of just P surgeries is complicated. The most common reason is to get a better correction. Most of us older folk have relatively stiff curves. To get a better correction, the surgeon will often remove the discs around the apex of the curve in order to get a better correction. Another really common reason is when patients need to be fused in the lower lumbar area. Fusing between L3 and S1 is relatively difficult from just the back, as most of the movement in our spines is in that area. If they operate only the back of the spine, the movement in the front of the spine often keeps the spine from fusing. So, when surgeons need to fuse L3-L4, L4-L5, or L5-S1, they usually do circumferential surgery to reduce the possibility of a non-fusion. Hope that makes sense.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lu - that is so great that you grew! I remember my original surgery and wishing I was alot taller, I had only gained about 1-2 inches at the time. And you're only about 1 month out of surgery and sounds like you are doing really well.

Linda - that does make alot of sense about the anterior and posterior. I like to understand so when the surgeon is explaining things, it will make more sense. The 2 I went to for consults so far both said they would just fuse from the back. I'm going to a 3rd though so we'll see what he says. I'm so nervous as you totally understand since you just went through it. I wish I could just fast forward to be done and recovering! Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Hi Nancy

I have a mobility link in my signature you might be interested in. We can thank Sharon for convincing me to add it to my signature......(smiley face) and Dr Menmuir for being the genius that he truly is.

Please remember that we are all different and that bending and rotation results will differ. I was not a revision, I was chicken back in the 70’s.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks for that information Linda. I didn't know that and had often wondered why some are fused both sides.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I was fused to L5 but my fusion grew on its own to S1! My mobility is like being 7 months pregnant. I do a lot of stretching exercises to keep my legs and hips flexible so shaving my legs is not a problem just a chore!
                  T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                  2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                  3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                  Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Nancy, It's Lu again, (revision surgery May 9) I am going in for #2 surgery June 21, and yes to be fused from front.The surgery was done at Johns Hopkins. I did not ask to many questions about #2, I just felt I had to get over the first one, but I do have a lot of questions when I see him this Wed. Lu

Comment

Dear LU
                      Why do you need to go in for a second surgery on June 21st? What did you have done the first time? Im going in in August for a revision surgery with getting fully fused, and getting 3 osteotomies. This brilliant dr. is only going in posterior. He stopped doing a/p two years ago.
                      This is being done at Hospital For Special Surgery in New York.
                      Cindi

Comment

Hi, I was fully fused in May, sometimes they do front 5-6 weeks later, and fuse the inside of the spine, many people on this site have had front and back done, I am fused down to the sacrum, they did a PSO, he did a wedge on the spine to bring me upright. and I am stright as an arrow. LU

Comment

My orginal fusion was T3-L5. The only thing that I could not do was somersaults and cartwheels. My fusion was redone and extended to my sacrum and I have to say that I really lost a lot of mobility. Had to invent new positions to put on my socks and shoes. Hang in there. Krysi

Comment

Sorry I haven’t been on here in awhile. I sort of took a break from it. I know I need surgery but haven’t wanted to think more about it for a bit. I’m taking Aleve daily now and it’s helping a lot. I shouldn’t have waited so long to take some basic pain meds. I just hate taking anything. But it’s made a world of difference. I can walk now more than a few steps without having to sit down and be in pain and I can sit without having pain after a few minutes.
                            Ed – thanks for mention of the pix, I actually checked them out awhile back. Very impressive! Glad to see you are doing so well.
                            Lue - I hope you are doing ok, I will look for you on the other threads to see if there is an update on how your surgery went. Good healing thoughts sending your way!
                            Krysi – thanks for the input. Yes, it will be interesting to see what I can do. I already have trouble with socks and shoes and ask my husband to help a lot. I wear flip flops now in the summer which I know is really bad for our feet and backs but it is so much easier to just slip on and go.

Comment

Hi, Nancy I had second surgery(June 21) all went well, Still quite a bit of pain, but it is only 2 weeks. but I am doing good, walking every day a little sometimes 2x a day. I am just glad it is all over. LU

Comment

Working...
                              X