Thread: owwweeeee on vacation.... help???

owwweeeee on vacation.... help???

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've been on. My mom and I are on a trip in Alaska and it's amazing! But my back has been tightening up so much :{ :{ :{ to the point where I need to lay down and relax....no so convenient if you're out on a boat or on the road. I was fused in September 2009. I'm experiencing some pain not directly on my spine but kind of on the side of my spine below where my bra would be. I don't know if it's from the uncomfortable 5 hour flight, sitting for great amounts of time, or the temperature change. If anyone has had similar aches n pains when travelling I'd so appreciate any advice. Have a check up with my surgeon in a few weeks and hope to ask him some questions then. THANKS A BUNCH! Hope all is well!
    Maliha
    Fused September 2009

Maliha-- my guess is that's it's a combination of it all. I do get a tightening of my back when I have recess duty in the cold, cold weather... but I'm pretty prepared for it now with a really thick down coat. Dress as warmly as you can, and pace yourself with how much time you spend outside. Maybe a nice, snug down vest would help??? Hopefully your body will recover from the travel aspect soon and you can enjoy your trip more. Good luck!
    67 and plugging along...
    2007 52 w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior spinal fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    NEW 10/2018 x-rays show spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Thank you Susie! Today the weather rose to about 70 degrees and my back was fine! So wierd I guess I'm not amde for cold weather. But am doing better and hoping for some more warm weather. Thank you for your advice :}
    Maliha

I agree with Susie--especially in the beginning (and even still) cold sends a certain spot on my back into painful spasms. I bought the warmest winter coat I could find, which helped, and try to keep myself from getting too cold. If I shiver, that's the worst. My 'spot' sounds to be in a similar location to yours. For me, motrin helps tremendously.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees