surgery on June 7th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery on June 7th

Hi everyone, This is lorz's sister giving the update on her surgery which was done on Tuesday, June 7th. Her surgery went well and she is recovering as expected. She is still in the PACU today as they are working on her pain management and they would like to see her blood pressure and pulse oximetry readings a little higher! She is not used to opiates so that is part of the difficulty. I hope she will be transferred to a regular room soon and she can continue with the updates herself!! But I will be more than happy to answer any questions, as it will help keep me busy until I can go visit her again!
    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
    T54/L72
    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
    Gained 2 inches!
    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Thank you so much for the update! It's so good to hear all went well. It's just very difficult at first, but she will make progress-- baby steps for awhile, but progress just the same. Thanks again for the news.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thank you for the update. Good to hear she is doing quite well and look forward to her being well enough to give her own updates. :-)
      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Wonderful to hear that she is on the other side. One day at a time right now. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Anne in PA
        Age 58
        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
        T4 to sacrum fusion
        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Tell Lori we are all thinking of her and wishing her a smooth recovery. The first month is the toughest.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thank you so much for the update on Lori!! I've been checking in every day since the 7th and praying for her. So glad to hear the surgery went well! I was wondering how long the surgery was? Please keep us updated when you get any more news. Congrats, Lori, the surgery is over!!!! You don't have to worry about it anymore, you are on your way to recovery!!

Take care,
            JenM
            Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
            Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
            Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
            Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
            31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Thanks for the update! Happy to hear it went well

Great to hear it went well!!!!
              Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
              Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
              Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
              Dr. Charles Edwards, II
              The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
              Before and after xrays:
              http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Glad to hear it went well! Keep us posted.

JenM -- Let us know how you're doing one-year post-op.

Happy Summer, everyone!

Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Surgery Update

I just got home from the hospital last night, after spending 10 days. I spent the first 2 days in PACU , intubated, due to 3000cc blood loss, pleural effusions(fluid in lungs), partial atelectasis (lung collapse), and jugular vein emboli. The first 7 days were really rough. Dr. Boachie was very pleased with the correction he got. When he straightened the lumbar curve, the thoracic straightened so much, the rod was too short, and had to add an extension. I feel huge!!
                  On the morning of surgery, while in the waiting area, Dr. B.came in to see me, and had Dr. Lenke with him, so he introduced him to me. I told him I had heard of him many times on the forum. That was cool!
                  My experience at HSS was less than perfect. There were some exceptional people there, but, unfortunately many who were not. My first night in a regular room, I rang for a pain med, and it took 1 hr. to get it. There were altleast 4 incidences where I called for pain med/reposition, where the person answering the light said she would notify my nurse, turned the light off, then never gave my nurse the message. By that time I decided that paying for a private room was worth every penny, and moved, with with sister (an RN) at my bedside at all times. She was phenomenal , and took such good care of me. Case Management and O.T. services were basically nonexistent. I was ordering shower chair, grabber, etc. from Amazon from my hospital bed. I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Boachie. He is very gifted.
                  Now, on to the questions!! How many times a day, and how far should I be ambulating at this point? When will my lumbar area stop feeling like someone is pushing it forward, and looking several months pregnant?
                  Sorry for the long post. I know I enjoyed reading every detail of everyone's experiences post-op, so I wanted to to do the same. I would love to help in any way. Thank-you all. There's no place like home!!!!!
                  Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                  T54/L72
                  Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                  Gained 2 inches!
                  Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                  12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                  Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Hi Lori-

I am so glad to hear from you!!!!! I have been thinking about you every day since June 7th!!! You must be so glad you are home!!! Congrats, you are on the other side now!!!

I just read your post and noticed you had the same hospital experience as me. There were times when I called the nurse and no one would come. Most of the nurses I had I was not impressed with. I did not have a private room either and wish I did. That was great that you had your sister with you who was an RN. I had no one at times and it was scary since the nurses were not much help. How can one of the best hospitals have not so great nurses???Ughhh, i could go on and on...... When you feel better, we'll have to chat over the phone!!!

Glad to hear you had a great correction. What levels were you fused?? How long was your surgery? So many questions! Did Dr. Lenke assist with your surgery at all?

Anyway, if you have any questions, I'd love to be of help. The surgery is still very fresh in my mind. Feel free to call me as well.

Congrats again! So proud that you went through with it!!

JenM
                    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Glad you're okay, Lori! Best wishes for an uneventful recovery.

Most of us who had surgery at HSS had a rough time with the nurses. Private nurses are the ONLY way to go there, in my opinion -- that's why I keep harping on it.
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Lori,
                        I am sorry you had such a bad experience with the nursing staff. It's a shame most feel they have to have a family member stay with them in the hospital in order to receive good care.
                        I definitely looked pregnant when I came home from the hospital and weighted about 6 pounds more than presurgery weight. The severe bloatedness went away fairly soon as did the weight, but it was probably close to 4 months before I felt like my stomach was flat.
                        I wonder why Dr. Lenke was with Dr. Boachie? I am not sure, but I think that Dr. Boachie may have been president of SRS before Dr. Lenke.
                        Best of luck with your recovery. It gets easier with time!
                        Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Oops! I accidentally had a "t" in weighed. Being a teacher, I hate it when I accidentally have a typing error.
                          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Hi, Lori,

I've been thinking about you, too, and I'm so glad to hear that you're home and on the mend.

It's a shame you had to go through so much at the hospital. I've made up my mind--I'm definitely getting a private nurse or aide. I had pretty much decided that awhile ago but lately had wondered if maybe I didn't need one. Now I don't have any doubts and I know I won't regret it. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery! Enjoy the comforts of home!

boomergal
                            54 years old
                            T57, L43
                            surgery sch. with Dr. Boachie 7/05/11
                            T2 - T12, posterior

Comment

Hi Lori, thanks for the update! You reminded me of an aspect of post-surgery I'd forgotten about, that feeling that someone has their boot in the small of your back and pushing forward. I haven't had that feeling for ages - I guess it only lasted a couple of weeks and I'd forgotten about it. I think it's to do with the lordosis you're given, at least that's what I think was the reason for mine. That, combined with stomach bloating, and you really do look pregnant for a short time.

Take care! It's good to have another one safely over *this* side.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X