No announcement yet.

canceling surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me it was easier--I was older, and I had progressed quite drastically, and I was having pain. That's what made my decision easy. If I had any doubts that I was doing the right thing, I would have canceled. Granted, I was scared out of my wits, but I thought I was doing the right thing. With my results, it turns out I was right, but who knows that going in?

I think that if you can't come to terms with this and you're not 100% sure you're doing the right thing, you should cancel. Who knows, maybe you won't progress as fast as you think, and you can wait for surgery to advance even further.

((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I am very decisive and would always rather make a choice and deal with the fallout than go back and forth. That said, I had the "nonononononononononono" feeling a fair few times pre-op but went forward anyway. The first month was a living hell but now, 4 months on, I am much better off than I was for the last ten years. Can you wait? Sure. Do you want to have it hanging over your head? That's your call.

I think most people come out for the better. I don't know where the apex of your curve is, but be sure to ask about the possibility of having to stabilize the lumbar vertebrae later on. I'm 14 levels fused and have some frustration with movement (I'm still learning new body mechanics and how to bend, etc.) but overall, my pain is startling less than before.

Assuming you are progressing at a rate of a degree a year, you'll be 57* when you're 40. Do you want to dress 57* at 40?

I guess, in the end, you either jump or you don't. Unfortch, with this stuff, you can't just stick a toe in the water and test it out.

I was never 100% sure I wanted to do it. The morning we were at the hospital I wasn't sure I wanted to do it. When I woke up post-op I sure as hell didn't want to do it! But here I am, and while I feel like I've been to the gates of hell (for *me*), I'm not prepared yet to say I am glad I had the surgery, but I am now fully admitting that I FEEL and LOOK better than I did without it.

I'm pulling for you in either case.
      Female, age 38
      4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
      currently 64*upper/40*lower
      Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
      now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Lily,

I am going forward with it and it's this Wed! I'm still having the nerves, but like you said I think it's normal. I feel good about my decision but am scared too. It's good to hear people feeling happy about their outcomes. I'm hoping for the same but I know nothing is perfect. My pain now is not unbearable so I am prepared to feel some unbearable pain!

I haven't asked about later deterioration. I'll be fused T1-T12. I'm hoping my range of motion isn't too different.
        Thanks for your response. I'll let you know how it goes!
        Christina
        Christina
        Age 31

Wore a brace as a teen but my double thoracic curves progressed.
        Had surgery on 6/29/11 with Dr. Rand at NEBH
        Curves improved from 45 and 50 degrees to mid 20s.

Comment

Good on ya! You'll be just fine. Pinky swear.
          Female, age 38
          4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
          currently 64*upper/40*lower
          Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
          now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

All the very best for Wednesday, Christine! We'll be thinking of you and looking forward to seeing your first post when you're able.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Christine,

I will be thinking about you and will say a little prayer for you. I pray for a sense of peace for you tonight and for everything to go well tomorrow. The waiting is the most difficult and hopefully you won't be in any unbearable pain after the surgery. You will do just fine.

Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
              X