Jones Technique for nerve/muscle pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jones Technique for nerve/muscle pain

Hi everyone! I just posted this on another thread, but thought it deserved it's own thread. Just throwing an idea out to you...

My right thigh and deep in my buttock/hip has still been hurting post op, like many of you have been dealing with. I have had this pain for 15 years now, since the mid 90's. I was on Vioxx, then Mobic after that was taken off the market. And years of injections. I was hoping surgery would help it. It is still there, though slightly diminished. I'm hoping that it was just so inflamed from years of irritation, and that it will take some time to settle down...

The interesting thing is that when I mentioned it to my physical therapist last week because some of the exercises aggravate it, he applied a Jones counterstrain technique. I was skeptical of something so simple for something I have had for years. He worked on me last Friday and I was almost completely free of the pain all weekend long. The best I have felt in a very long time. I am going back Thursday for some more.

It may sound crazy, but it may be worth a try for those of you who have had no relief with any other methods. I am no expert, but it involves muscles and tendons that attach to bone and can be sending false messages along nerves to major muscles and cause constant pain. I don't know much about it yet, and I'm still researching, but I DO know how I felt afterwards! Here is a quote from wellness.com to briefly explain it.

" Jones counterstrain, also known as strain-counterstrain, is a gentle technique developed to treat neuromuscular and musculo-skeletal problems by Dr. Lawrence Jones. The technique was accidentally discovered by Dr. Jones after trying to move a patient around to make the patient comfortable.
    Strain-counterstrain is currently used to correct abnormal nerve and muscle reflexes with the intention of correcting painful postural and structural problems. The technique involves finding tender points, often on or over joints, along the body. A manual therapist uses his hands to position parts of the body in ways that release tight, painful muscles.
    Strain-counterstrain is used for a number of medical conditions with muscle involvement including bursitis (inflammation of the bursa, which is a small sac that cushions the joints), tenditonitis (inflammation of a tendon), tension headaches, sciatic nerve irritation, as well as loss of joint mobility."

I found another great site that describes it better. Too much info to put on here. Here is the link to a physical therapy home page for a much more detailed, yet easy to understand description.

http://www.wholept.com/articles/stra...technique.html

Obviously, this may be too simple for those of you with more complex problems. That being said, I was sure for all this time that most of the pain in my hip, butt and thigh were solely nerve pain. I had 3 laminectomies, and 4 nerve roots that were compressed and released with surgery, which seemed to prove it. But now I am having to rethink that. Maybe some of the pain involved aggravated muscles ON TOP of the nerve pain... Or even heightened the nerve pain. It makes sense with the structural changes we have in order to compensate for our imbalances, and for the dramatic changes our structure goes through after surgery.

Just some food for thought to share with you guys!
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Jenee

Funny how something so simple can offer so much. Years ago, I had an Osteopath adjust my sacrum with a huge leg rotational movement. I was suffering from all sorts of things involving a 70 degree lumbar at age 45, and even though it didn’t help some of those problems, it did remove about 25 years of major ache in my SI joints.

Its worth a try.....I owe my Chiros and all the people that kept me going all those years.

Being pain free is something that we totally forgot about. I just couldn’t believe it when I finally got there. It actually takes time to get used to it! And when you are pain free, you can FINALLY relax.

Add some DEEP breathing, and suddenly your in nirvana. (smiley face)

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks Jenee for this website. It sounds very interesting. Do you know if this technique is something that most Physical Therapists know about or is it something that most Massage Therapists would preform?
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Sally!

It sounds more like physical therapists perform it, but I've read that some massage therapists do it, too. It has been around awhile, so I think most PT's would know of it. I have had constant deep hip/butt and thigh pain since even before surgery, for 15 years. I spent 3 days walking in Seattle last weekend, up and down hills and stairs, and sat for 6 hours in a stadium for a concert, and I STILL had no pain. I'm amazed. And my PT only worked on the area 3 times! It is something so simple and non-invasive, so I believe it is sure worth a try! If you have pain, what do you have to lose? I hope you are doing well these days.
        Jenee'-52
        Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
        Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
        I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
        9 hours
        T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
        Non-fusion
        Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Thanks Jenee,
          I am doing quite well. I still have some nerve pain in my right leg, but the hot weather here in North Carolina seems to agree with my body, or else there really is an improvement. I managed the trip to Seattle with little or no problems. BTW, you were at the concert the same day we were at the Emerald Downs race track celebrating my hubby's Aunt's 100th birhtday. She like to watch the horses run and was taken to the winners circle after the 7th race which was dedicated in her honor. She was thrilled!
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
          X