No announcement yet.

Surgery Date for Kristen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This might not be possible, but I thought I would suggest it anyway.

I had a 3 hour trip home too, and we have some friends that own an RV. They let us borrow it. It was pretty crazy for my dad to drive that thing home from Chicago, but it was the most comfortable thing ever. I've heard that the drive home is very difficult, and I actually slept the entire way home. If that can't happen, I would just say the obvious. Bring lots and lots of pillows.

Hope things keep getting better for you all!
    Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
    My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
    Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
    52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
    Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

Rosa,

Very glad to read your update.

I think I have read that most of the neuro injuries associated with this surgery are temporary. Maybe your surgeon has addressed this. With the monitoring, it is extremely rare to come away with a permanent injury. It sounds like she is in recovery so that is great.

The bladder issue will likely resolve. One of my kids had an issue with that but you need to be careful Kristin doesn't get a bladder stretch injury during the recovery. That is completely avoidable and is a bad nursing error. It should never happen.

Good luck.

Sharon
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Rosa and Kristen

Just wanted to say "hello" and I think of you and Kristen often.
        I do not have any advice as we are just nearing surgery date. I want to encourage you to ask lots of questions and if you don't get a clear answer ask another person.
        I got really confused when talking to Shriners today and I said, I am sorry... I am really confused and I do not understand what you mean. It felt good to admit that.
        The nurse patiently tried to exain the complex wait list to me and how the short wait list worked. My sweet girls rib hump and curve seems to be growing by the day! (Really!). And not sure why but her other side seems to be growing a hump too???
        Did not think that could happen.

Hugs, Kim

Comment

rosa i hope kristen is doing well i keep her in my thoughts
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Kristen's Update

Thnaks to everyone for the prayer's and good thoughts.
            Kristen is now home and an outpatient at the local rehabilitation hospital. She is continuing to improve everyday. She is now mostly walking with a cane (wheel chair and walkers are saved for long days, or line ups) she is getting stronger and more feeling back all the time. She is working on all her rehab exercises so hard (some days too hard and I have to suggest she back off and rest.

She is still in some pain. This was not helped by the fact her incision got infected. She has been on antibiotics for one month and has one week left to go. It is still draining so that is bothersome and worriesome. She

She is now at the stage she is bored and is missing the things she usually does (dance, life guard, swim and run). But she is also feeling too sore to compalin too much. We are in full on planning mode trying to see if she will be ready for university in September. Trying to figure out how to get to and from class, how much she will be able to take for length of day, class assigments, how to carry all her school stuff?\, and how to fit the rehab in.

They still can't say how much all the spinal cord will recover, but mostly they are amazed she has come so far so fast. She is monthes ahead of where they thought she would be.

We try to thank God every day for all that has improved and try not to whine about the things that still need to improve! (Some days she is better at that and some days I am!)

Rosa
            Kristen's Mom
            --------------------------
            Diagnosed at 12 with 23 and 16 degree curves

Comment

rosa thanks for the up date on kristen.
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Great progress! It sounds like she will make a very good recovery!

She is getting great care. Spinal cord injury seems to be an active research area so that's good.

I wish Kristen continued success.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                X