Thread: Surgery Date for Kristen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Surgery Date for Kristen

Well we finally have a surgery date (june 2 one day away), for Kristen. She is very nervous and totally stressed out (as are we all). The major problem is she now has strep throat and a cough. She has been on antibiotics for 72 hours, getting better, but they won't let us know whether they will cancel till tomorrow morning admitting.

I can't stand the thought of her getting surgery if she is not healthy enough for it, but the thought of rescheduling and having to do the pre surgery month all over again is heart breaking.

Anyone have thoughts as to whether it will reschedule???

They are still talking of fusing T1 to L4 and be 8 to 10 hours. Any suggestions on what I do with 8 to 10 hours so I don't go insane????

I will let you know how it goes, one way or another.

Kristen's MOM

Quote Originally Posted by rosa.smm View Post
    Well we finally have a surgery date (june 2 one day away), for Kristen. She is very nervous and totally stressed out (as are we all). The major problem is she now has strep throat and a cough. She has been on antibiotics for 72 hours, getting better, but they won't let us know whether they will cancel till tomorrow morning admitting.

I can't stand the thought of her getting surgery if she is not healthy enough for it, but the thought of rescheduling and having to do the pre surgery month all over again is heart breaking.

Anyone have thoughts as to whether it will reschedule???

They are still talking of fusing T1 to L4 and be 8 to 10 hours. Any suggestions on what I do with 8 to 10 hours so I don't go insane????

I will let you know how it goes, one way or another.

Kristen's MOM
    Hi Kristin's Mom,

I wish I had some good advice but the decision regarding surgery is best left up to the surgeon. I know that during and after surgery she will stay on antibiotics but I know they want your immune system as strong as possible too. I would just be sure she rests as much as possible and drinks lots of fluids. I will say some prayers for your daughter and your family. Going through this surgery myself it is a long journey but I believe it is worth it. I know how scary it is right now for everyone but keep your chin up and keeping believing the best. Prayer is what got me through this. My parents had to endure the 8 hour wait during my surgery and what seemed to help them was praying, talking, taking walks, watching tv, and even doing word search puzzles (I had SOOO many of these given to me by family and friends I am set for life...lol!). Anyway I'm sorry I'm not much help but I wanted to answer your post and let you know you are not alone and people care. Let us know how things go.
    Laurie Anne
    Age 30
    Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
    Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
    Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
    PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
    5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
    1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Surgery Dates for Kristen

Your comments do help! It is nice to know some one else has made it through! Your curves sound really similar to Kristen and it looks like the results were good. That will help too.

I will keep you posted.

Kristen's MOM

Hoping everything goes well with your daughter's surgery if in fact she goes through with it tomorrow. I was a nervous wreck the week before my son's surgery in case he got sick b/c the hospital did tell me they wouldn't do the surgery (two) if he was sick and we'd have to reschedule. I ended up pulling him out of school about four or five days before his surgeries to keep him away from the other kids. My sister and her husband came up for a visit a couple of days before we headed south to the hospital and the next morning he woke up with a bad cold, uggg. Thankfully my son didn't contract it.

My son had two shorter surgeries four weeks apart which I found pretty easy to deal with b/c the time did go by fast. The first surgery, I had my sister and BIL hang out at the hospital with me and the second surgery I had a member from this forum (hdugger) come by the hospital and hang out with me and we had lunch and talked etc. I also spent a bit of time on my laptop checking out the forum here and giving updates which helped to distract me. I also was prepared to take some anti-anxiety medication but actually I ended up not needing any but I had it on hand just in case.

Please keep us posted!
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Well they took Kristen in for surgery about 45 minutes ago strep throat and all so it looks like it's a go. Now only another 8 or 9 hours to wait!! She did so well I can't believe it!! I will fill you all in as we get updates.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes.
    Kristen's MOM

Any updates yet? How are you doing?
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

This might not be possible, but I thought I would suggest it anyway.

I had a 3 hour trip home too, and we have some friends that own an RV. They let us borrow it. It was pretty crazy for my dad to drive that thing home from Chicago, but it was the most comfortable thing ever. I've heard that the drive home is very difficult, and I actually slept the entire way home. If that can't happen, I would just say the obvious. Bring lots and lots of pillows.

Hope things keep getting better for you all!
    Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
    My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
    Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
    52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
    Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Rosa,

Very glad to read your update.

I think I have read that most of the neuro injuries associated with this surgery are temporary. Maybe your surgeon has addressed this. With the monitoring, it is extremely rare to come away with a permanent injury. It sounds like she is in recovery so that is great.

The bladder issue will likely resolve. One of my kids had an issue with that but you need to be careful Kristin doesn't get a bladder stretch injury during the recovery. That is completely avoidable and is a bad nursing error. It should never happen.

Good luck.

Sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

rosa i hope kristen is doing well i keep her in my thoughts
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Kristen's Update

Thnaks to everyone for the prayer's and good thoughts.
    Kristen is now home and an outpatient at the local rehabilitation hospital. She is continuing to improve everyday. She is now mostly walking with a cane (wheel chair and walkers are saved for long days, or line ups) she is getting stronger and more feeling back all the time. She is working on all her rehab exercises so hard (some days too hard and I have to suggest she back off and rest.

She is still in some pain. This was not helped by the fact her incision got infected. She has been on antibiotics for one month and has one week left to go. It is still draining so that is bothersome and worriesome. She

She is now at the stage she is bored and is missing the things she usually does (dance, life guard, swim and run). But she is also feeling too sore to compalin too much. We are in full on planning mode trying to see if she will be ready for university in September. Trying to figure out how to get to and from class, how much she will be able to take for length of day, class assigments, how to carry all her school stuff?\, and how to fit the rehab in.

They still can't say how much all the spinal cord will recover, but mostly they are amazed she has come so far so fast. She is monthes ahead of where they thought she would be.

We try to thank God every day for all that has improved and try not to whine about the things that still need to improve! (Some days she is better at that and some days I am!)

Rosa
    Kristen's Mom
    --------------------------
    Diagnosed at 12 with 23 and 16 degree curves

rosa thanks for the up date on kristen.
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Great progress! It sounds like she will make a very good recovery!

She is getting great care. Spinal cord injury seems to be an active research area so that's good.

I wish Kristen continued success.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."