9 months post op fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 months post op fall

My daughter will be 9 months post op on June 8. Today while outside with our dog (65 lb dog), my daughter fell. The dog ran into her and knocked her off of her feet. She fell backwards, landing on her butt. It looked like when someone slips on ice, falls backward and lands on their butt.

She never felt any pain, but just a little muscle tension/pressure. I have since asked if she felt ok, and she said she felt normal, no pain.

I am worried sick! I'm waiting for her surgeon's nurse to call me back. I want to know if this fall/landing on her butt is something to be concerned with.

Anyone experience post op falls?

Her fusion was T10-L2

Comment

I just spoke to my surgeon's nurse. She said that if the fall affected the instrumentation that my daughter would have indeed been in a good bit of pain. She was in no pain, but momentarily felt the muscle tensing, but after that everything felt normal. The nurse said that was to be expected (muscle tension). She said at 9 months post op, the fusion is pretty much on its way to being fused too. She put my mind at ease. She also advised some Motrin since she'd probably feel sore, as anyone would be after that. Just thought I'd share.

Comment

Fall

I fell down a flight of stairs. Just bruised my hip. Nothing happened. Another time I slipped on wet floor at a Walmart. Fell on my humpette. Ribs were very sore but nothing happened to my spine. I did call Dr. Boachie's office who told me that I would have terrible pain if something happened to my spine.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi...

It's actually relatively common for people to fall after surgery. I actually fell about 2 months postop. The implants are usually so secure that it would take a huge impact to dislodge anything.

Sorry you had to worry, and glad everything appears to be fine. Having also fallen after my first surgery 20 years ago (OK, I admit it, I'm a klutz), the worry I experienced was awful.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Well, I can tell you our surgeon released both my daughters at 8 months for all activities (except bungee jumping).

Beyond that, I was told that the vast majority of kids (~95%) need no physical restrictions whatsoever from day one except their own pain and they still get a fusion. Our surgeon said he restricts all kids only be cause he can't know ahead of time who the ~5% are who do need physical restrictions to get a fusion.

That said, my kid was pulled forward only about 2.5 weeks after surgery when another (shorter) kid hugged her at a school dance. That was a setback and she was in pain for a few days. The fusion has to end somewhere and that area is going to take the bend. She recovered.

Good luck.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
            X