Pilates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilates

I have gone and read so many things about pilates and how can I benefit from it, and if it helps my scoliosis curvature.

I went thru this page: http://pilatesedge.wordpress.com/
    And in there you can see a story about a lady with scoliosis that got her back straighter with pilates.

I read also so many things about muscular weakness issue and how it can make the curve in the back. So I started to search for a local pilates instructor and a friend told me about someone who is really well known.

The pilates instructor told me that it seems my curvature wasnt there when I was born, and that it developed later on. Also that my muscules are tight and they need to be released and she said she developed a 6 months program to help me straighten my back.

My back now is between 29-34 degrees. I have thoracic curvature with a slight bend in my lumbar side. I do pilates twice a week, Mondays and Wednesdays, and she said later she would like me to do 3x a week. So we will see till then.

I have had 3 sessions till now and it has been going on well. I will take a pic of my back on Monday so record it and she wants to take another one on my 3rd month and then on my 6th. Once I finish this I will post my results. So I will come here and tell you all if pilates can help straighten the spine or not.

Wish me good luck, please.

Cheers to all.

Just forgot to add, Im a femaled, 29yrs old, married and has a 2 year old son. Was diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 14 because of back pain, and went to do a month of GPR therapy. Since then the case is frozen and have not done much. Over the year it increased to 29-34 degrees.
    Last edited by littleone; 05-26-2011, 06:38 AM.

Hi...

While I think it's an excellent idea to participate in a program like Pilates, it's really unlikely that it will do anything for your curves long-term. At 29 and 34 degrees, and 29 years old, your curves are unlikely to progress, no matter what you do. If you're bothered by how your back looks, the Pilates program might improve the appearance of your back.

By the way for anyone who can't afford to see a Pilates instructor 2-3 times a week, or who would prefer to do something on their own, there are DVDs available on Amazon by Dr. Suzanne Martin.

Suzanne Martin DVD 1

Also, the vast majority of us are born without scoliosis. Scoliosis usually develops in individuals in their adolescence.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by littleone View Post

Wish me good luck, please.
      Wishing you the best!! Hoping your instructor has had some experience with scoliosis, and that you will keep us posted.

Comment

I hope your experience is a positive one! One thing we noticed is that exercise does improve strength on the weaker side, improves posture, and makes one feel better...all very positive aspects.

I look forward to seeing your results. Btw Martha Hawes had good results with exercise and improving her back.

We have noticed slight improvements with my daughter s back with massage, exercises, bracing and yoga...soon we hope to be finished with bracing. She has not been doing her schroth as much...it will be interesting to see if the lack of exercise will impact her next xrays and curves.
        age 15
        Daughter diagnosed at age 13
        T20 l23 10-09
        T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
        T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
        T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
        Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
        Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Working...