Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 mos Post Op - still having problems....Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laurie Anne...

You should definitely request an injection. It's unlikely to hurt, and very likely to help.

Dr Berven let me go back on NSAIDs at 10 weeks postoperative. He recognized that it was a big quality of life issue with me, and since he'd used BMP on me, felt it was reasonably safe for me to restart them. Something to be aware of with NSAIDs is that they rarely work immediately, they need to build up in your system, and the same drug doesn't work for everyone. When I first started using them 20 years ago, I didn't hit on one that worked for 3 or 4 months.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
      Laurie Anne,

I hope you start to feel improvements soon. Did your physical therapist (Janet?)
      think an injection would help? Linda seemed to get some relief. I try to make it to the y pool a couple of times a week, but haven't done any actual swimming yet. I just sit up straight on the noodle and do the breast stroke and back stroke and use arm weights while walking. Janet said I could do front and side leg kicks while standing. What stretches are you doing? I would like to try something new. I enjoy the warm water even though I feel a little foolish sitting on the noodle like a little kid.
      I am so sorry you are having this additional pain, but imagine it helps to know that it is common and that it will improve. I hope to meet you on the 22nd.
      Hi Karen,
      I will ask Janet (p/t) about the injections although I am VERY skiddish about getting any...it's not the needles I fear but side effects of meds. As far as stretches we and exercises is VERY basic. Like straightening your legs one at a time out in front of you to strectch your hamstrings. Leaning back on a floatie to and bringing your legs up and opening and closing them against the water resistance. We also do stretching for the upper back by putting your hands behind your head and then bringing them down and lifting your elbows up behind you. These are just a few of the movements we do. I have only gone for a week so I can't remember them all but I do believe it's going to make a difference for me. I so look forward to Tuesdays and Thursdays. After class we go to the hot tub which feels great. I have been attending the south county YMCA. I assume you go to one in waterloo? Anyway, thanks for the advice about the injection. Take care!
      Laurie Anne
      Age 30
      Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
      Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
      Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
      PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
      5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
      1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

LaurieAnne,
        By no means am I one to give advice about getting an injection, however, Linda, our moderator, stated that it helped her, I believe. I don't blame you for being hesitant. I just feel badly that you're having so much additional pain.
        Thanks for the stretching ideas for the water. I won't see Janet until July 6, so I am trying to not get bored when I'm in the pool. I recently added the styrofoam arm weights to my exercises. Yes, I go to the new Y in Columbia which is about a 7 minute drive. I walked laps there yesterday instead of outside since it was so hot. I don't know what I'd do without an indoor facility so close to our home.
        I hope you feel better soon.
        Karen
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Laurie Anne,

I posted earlier but it went into the ether somewhere... but thanks for your kind words earlier, and Linda, thanks for yours as well and the lymphedema suggestion. And Jenee, I want to know who your PT is! The Jones technique sounds great.

Anyway, Laurie Anne I just wanted to let you know I went in for an injection in my hip but I didn't notice any difference, but that's just me. It made me wonder if my issue is the bursitis or the hip joint itself or just the back. I was told by an excellent OHSU physiatrist that if the pain is in the groin area it is likely the hip joint itself, if it is on the outside of the hip then most likely bursitis, and if it is more on the butt bone/behind the joint then it's the back. He suggested keeping track of it with pain numbers at those three locations in order to get a read on which it is. Lots of my pain is also at the iliac crest on the right, which is where they took out "copious amounts" [according to the surgical notes] of bone marrow, so that's probably the culprit there.

Anyway, I'm glad I tried the shot because it was not painful and it is helping me to narrow down the possibilities. I am still having lots of sciatic pain which I had hoped the surgery would correct. Between that and the hip and leg nerve pain I'm thinking maybe my nerves are just still a little too inflamed so I'm hopeful nsaids will help. oh yeah, my surgeon recommended trying nsaids as he also didn't feel that at the recommended dosages it would harm fusion. I was happy to ready Linda's post because it didn't feel like it was making much of a difference but I'm going to hang in there with them because before surgery they helped me so I just need to give it more of a chance to work.

It's always getting better. It's just sloooooooow. I'm steadier on my feet now and less afraid of the pain of being bumped so I've been going out and brushing the horses, which is great therapy. I am feeling a little less fragile.

I have to ask though, is anyone else aware of a constant sensation of a large metal mass in their back? I feel it moving around and it feels like I've got a lump like a pillow in there when I lean against the seat in the pickup or even in a normal chair. I can't lean against a hard surface at all. I woke up the other night dreaming that an owl had its talons digging into my back (a pair of great horned owls nest here and hoot alot so they worked into my dream). Anyway, upon awakening I realized it was just my hardware hurting again, but that is exactly what it feels like (sharp talons) Is that pretty normal at this stage of the game?

Comment

Hi there Sue,

My PT is Gary here in Sisters at Therapeutic Associates. He is a very nice, compassionate man, probably around 60 or so. He really listens to what I have to say, and I don't feel like it is just a job to him and I'm just another patient. I feel like he truly wants to help ME. And he has!
            I'm still aware of the hardware, too. I think you had a pretty accurate description of feeling like you have an aluminum ladder in your back! But the feeling diminshes more and more every day. I feel it mostly when I'm driving in my car. Sometimes I feel like I'm laying on wrinkles in the sheets, or the edge of my body pillow in bed, so I get up to straighten them out, and there is nothing there! I think it has to do with some areas having feeling, and some not. It sends some strange signals... The sensations have changed dramatically the last several weeks. I have finally been getting some feeling in my upper back. (My mid to lower back is still numb from my spine out to midway to my sides.) And with that feeling, I'm more aware of aches and soreness. It is just more sensitive. But at least I'm getting some feelings back!
            Do you think you are up to getting out of the house someday soon? I would like to drive to Redmond and take you to lunch and do some horse therapy with you!
            Jenee'-52
            Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
            Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
            I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
            9 hours
            T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
            Non-fusion
            Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Perfect! TA is who I've been referred to. Yes, I'm getting out and doing short drives now. Would love to get together! The horses are great therapy, they seem to know to be very careful. Come over!

Thanks for the reply. It's funny how foreign all this still feels. It's as though I've entered a stranger's body. For some reason the past several days the hardware had seemed so bulky and klunky, today was better though. Some days are better than others. Anyway, its reassuring to know at this stage of the game this is normal. Will be glad when it begins to feel like part of me!

Comment

Working...
              X