No announcement yet.

Removing screws and rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My surgery was almost three years ago and I still itch all the time. The itching was there immediately after surgery. I also have an allergy to adhesive tape, so I was a real mess. I had everyone who came into my hospital room scratching my back. They'd rub on top of the tape and around the tape's edges. When I say everyone, I mean the doctors, interns, nurses, nurse's aids, visitors, family, social worker....anyone who had at least one hand. I'd roll onto my side and say "scratch". When I was on my back when someone came in, they could really do a good job.

At first I had a rash but not now. I'm interested in Blondy's experience, too. Blondy, have you mentioned this to your doctor?

The itching is still there all the time. Even though I take allergy meds, I can still feel it. I'm always getting the family to scratch me. No, it doesn't relieve it, it just feels really good while they are doing it.

Whenever I get into something else I am allergic to, my back itches worse than ever, madly, wildly. It is quite an experience.
    Last edited by sidrid; 02-13-2005, 06:48 AM.
    Sid Rid
    (female)

Age 52
    Surgery May, 2002
    T4-S1
    MRSA staph infection

Comment

itching

Myrtle:
      I suggest seeing an allergist if not already. There are blood tests to help determine allergies. Narcotic pain killers are notorious for causing itching; that is not a true allergy but caused by the drug's release of histamine. You also could be allergic to something else in your environment that you were not allergic to before. For example: fabric softeners, detergents, soaps, creams. A dermatologist told me NEVER to use Benadryl cream, contrary to ads. It greatly sensitizes the skin. I am allergic to shea butter, musk and PABA. So I have a long history of skin problems since childhood.

Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Linda,
        Dr. Boachie did my surgery in 1999. There has never been a rash or hives associated with my itching on my back. At first I thought it was the nerves waking up. As I said in a prior post, it itches to the bone. My stomach area that was also cut during surgery does not itch at all. It is actually still sort of numb. No part of my body that was involved in the surgery feels normal as of this date. Regards, Blondy

Comment

Blondy...

You have me stumped. If it were an allergic reaction, I would think that there would be an associated rash/hives. I would definitely mention it to your primary care physician or Dr. Boachie the next time you see either one. For years, I've had a small spot on my left thigh that itches a lot. There's never been any indication on my skin that there's a reason for it. Luckily for me, it's only one small spot. I've been putting baby oil on that spot after every shower, and it seems to be working.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Like I said before, I have no rash either. In the beginning the rash I had was probably related to the adhesive tape they put on me after surgery.

I saw my doctor on Monday. Asked about the itching. She agrees it is definitely the titanium rods and says a few people are allergic to them and I am one. Also, because I normally only itch along the spine and where the rods are, she is certain the rods are the cause.

I have an allergist because I have numerous allergies, too. My other allergies never reacted the way my allergy to the rods reacts, only in the one area. Before surgery, my allergic reactions were system wide. Now when I get into something I shouldn't it also makes the area where the rods are itch like mad.

Linda, you should mark this down for future reference. I'm sure someday, someone will want to know this, especially if the titanium rods cause longterm effects.

Karen, my allergies aren't from pain medications, because the itching would be all over. Also, I can't take strong narcotics, I have very bad reactions: hallucinations, horrid nightmares, an awful spinning sensation........really bad stuff. I just have to suffer with the pain, although some days are very good, while others can really put me in bed, moaning and groaning. I have encountered antibiotics I'm allergic to, and it wasn't pretty. Yikes!

I'm still dealing with numbness in my legs, hips, and some areas of my back. My surgery was in 2002.

I'm scheduled for additional tests on my cervical spine where I have 3 diseased discs, because I'm constantly dropping things and am in intense pain. Like Gilda Radner used to say, "It's always something."
            Sid Rid
            (female)

Age 52
            Surgery May, 2002
            T4-S1
            MRSA staph infection

Comment

removing rods and screws

I am looking at having another surgery. My scoliosis surgery was sept.13.2004. One of my screws has moved and caused one of my rods to shift. The end of the rod is sticking out and causing me lots of pain. The doctor seems to think my back is fused enough that he can take the rods out. I am not so sure. I just know I can not go on with this rod sticking out.
              When I had the surgery he said that if something happen and I had a problem he would have to wait at least two years to remove the rods. Now he says he thinks he can remove them now. I went today for a bone scan to see how strong my bones are. I don't know what to do.

Comment

Rod Removal

I had my first surgery when I was 12 for a Thorasic Curve of 76 Degrees in my spine - idiopathic at Toronto Sicks Kids Hospital.
                I began having complications within a year and ended up having to remove my hardware at age 16 (same hospital). Apparently, I was in the 1% of patients having complications...niiice.

I had approx. 3/4 of rod removed on one side and 1/4 removed on other. I should've just asked them to reput the entire thing in (harrington rods) to replace the existing hardware. Now, at age 28, I am having constant back pain, and am trying to get into see a doctor to find out what's wrong.

Comment

5 surgeries looking at a 6th

I am new on the forum though I have been reading the postings for a while.
                  I have a fairly long story: I had a harrington rod put in at 16, at 18 it broke. The doctor said if I was heavier I may have never felt it. I went in again for surgery to remove and they were hoping that I had fused but I had not so they put two smaller rods in distally & proximally. I had those in for about 5-6 years but continually had pain so when I was 24 I had a third surgery to replace with "newer" technology. My old doc was gone so I had to start up with a new one. (I am in Vegas and now being older and wiser, 34, I have found that even having surgery like this in Vegas was probably a mistake to begin with). Anyway, they took out the rods and replaced with clamps of some sort and within 3 days I felt pretty good but then all of a sudden I had severe pains that would go from the back through my ribs and it was so bad I could not move and would be crying hysterical when it came on. They wheeled me down to surgery again and took out the clamps and replaced with rods again!! I was in the hospital for 21 days that time. Then in 95, I spoke with the doc about removing them in hopes maybe it would alleviate some pain....so he did. Now I wonder if he should have.

Now I have a 105 degree kyphotic curve (humpback) and have pain all the time & try to manage with too many pain pills (3-4 day). Went to Dr. Deverin at UCSF on Mon and discussed revision surgery w/ multiple osteotomies. Anyone ever have that done? He said it is very complicated surgery with complete recovery time of 6 mo - 1 year. I have 2 small kids, work etc...
                  It is a tough decision to make. Any info would be wonderful! Sorry for the looooong story.

KML in Las Vegas
                  Kim
                  35yr mother of 4 yr old girl and 8 yr old boy
                  *Dec 05 A/P revision surgery-UCSF,Dr. Deviren- fused T3 - L3, rib removal
                  *1995 Hardware removal (spine collapsed into 105 degree kyphotic curve over next 8 yrs)
                  *1994 Revision scoliosis surgery to remove rods and put in clamps/other type hardware, ended up having problems so went back under 5 days later
                  *1992 Removal of broken Harrington rod, 2 smaller rods put in
                  *1987 Harrington rod for 46 degree scoliosis curve

Comment

Working...
                  X