No announcement yet.

Weight Loss and Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paula, it's not vain. As I told my surgeon when I was at my pre-op I have *earned* my right to vanity and frankly don't care what anyone else thinks! Live like you want to live.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Paula, That's great you've been working out and trying to get into shape for your surgery. That will help in recovery. I've always had to work at keeping my weight down, and I'm definately an emotional eater. So, I was concerned too about my weight after surgery. I lost weight after surgery (about 8 lbs - I'm 5'1" after surgery) and I was able to eat what I wanted (that was a pleasure!) and my weight stayed down for about 3 months. I think recovery takes alot of energy, my appetite wasnt up to it's usual for a while, and I did alot of walking (though not very fast), plus I was really able to focus on recovery so I wasn't stressed out. But after that-work, activities, life- I gained the weight back and then some. But, now at 8+ months post op I'm back to the exercise level I was before and back to "watching" what I eat, and my weight is just a few pounds above what it was before I went into surgery. Your figure will most certainly change for the better and all that you do now to take care of your body will come back to you with time.
      Debra
      Age 45
      Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
      Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
      Fused T4-T12
      Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
      Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

I was about 110 lbs going into surgery...at 2 weeks post-op, I was 102 (despite looking 4 months pregnant due to how swollen i was). i gradually kept losing more weight because my appetite was dormant. at about 1 month post-op, i started having severe pain (which later turned out to be a pleural effusion) so my my lack of appetite was even worse. at 3 months post-op, i weighed 90 lbs!! and that was WITH my metal. so yeah, i lost 20 lbs. but, luckily i went on a cruise right after my lung issue was cleared up and my appetite came back with a vengeance. i got back to my normal weight after about 6 months...

Comment

During the 5-week stay at the hospital I'd say my son lost close to ten pounds and gained four inches in height! He was about 120lbs to start with. He looked so thin and pale on the journey back home that I actually jumped up and ran over to him on the Shriners bus b/c he looked grey/green and his eyes were partially opened. My heart sank b/c he looked dead so I shook him and he woke up but he looked awful. I just about got the bus driver to pull over to check him out b/c I knew he was a paramedic.

He's six weeks post-op now and I'd say he's probably gained about eight pounds back but still looks thin b/c he went from 5'7" to 5'11" and isn't all crunched up like he used to be. His colour is much better too now and I force him to sit outside with me for half an hour each day when the weather is nice.
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Working...
          X