2.5 hours surgery? Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 hours surgery? Really?

I'll introduce myself in a bit-- but wanted to ask here about this story from Utah:
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...g-surgery.html

or
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15400736

The story says that the doctor, John Smith, at Primary Children's Hospital in Utah, has a technique that makes fusion surgery very quick with an easier recovery, but the short description there doesn't really tell what the difference is. So is there really anything unique about this? (I ask because I'm 52 and getting ready for surgery myself).
    Diagnosed at age 13
    Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
    Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
    Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
    Post surgery 26 degrees
    Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Dr. Hey in Raleigh seems to do a lot of really quick fusions, on the order of 2.5 hours. I think if she had a short fusion, 2.5 hours isn't jaw-dropping.

Here's Dr. Hey's blog...

http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/

Per the written info our surgeon gave us and what actually happened with both my daughters I would say her recovery was average. There are kids on this group though who had faster recoveries.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Okay I looked at the video on one of those links. She seems to have had an 11-level fusion as far as I can tell.

I'm skeptical that surgery lasted only 2.5 hours especially given the general need for those writers and reporters to get out more and get an accurate perspective. Some facts appear to need checking.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Okay I looked at the video on one of those links. She seems to have had an 11-level fusion as far as I can tell.

I'm skeptical that surgery lasted only 2.5 hours especially given the general need for those writers and reporters to get out more and get an accurate perspective. Some facts appear to need checking.
        I agree. I think it's hype. At the very lease, I suspect they're not counting from "skin to skin."

Regardless, I would never choose a surgeon based on this criteria. Having a surgeon who that brags about how fast hey can get something done is pretty scary. The same is true about surgeons who brag that their patients require a lot less narcotic.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I suspect they were having a slow news day there in Wherever, Utah. While this stuff might be news to the general public, is appears to be a run of the mill AIS fusion situation. I found no indication that there was anything unusual with this case compared to any number of testimonials on this forum and elsewhere.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you all for the responses. I was a patient at Primary Children's back in the early 70s when I wore a brace for my scoliosis. I'm getting ready to have surgery in June, in San Diego, and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something important. I do know that it's not that easy for adults.
            Diagnosed at age 13
            Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
            Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
            Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
            Post surgery 26 degrees
            Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Comment

Good luck with the surgery, Paula. Even though you are older now, the instrumentation is much better compared to the 1970s.

My only question about the material you posted is the surgeon's name, "Dr. John Smith." I always wonder if people with that name are in the Federal Witness Protection Program. :-)

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
              X