need help with swelling/numbnessq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with swelling/numbnessq

Hi All...I am in my eigth week of recovery and I think that Ive posted about this before but it has not gone away and in fact its getting worse. I have had swelling in my abdomen since the beginning which I'm told is totally normal. However, with that swelling I have internal swelling my "guts" swell and by the end of the day I look six months pregnant and my insides are numb and painful. Has anyone else gone thru this? Ive already gone to the surgeon about this and he told me to put more time between me and the surgery but its really bothering me its painful and weird. Any comments? Thanks guys!!
    Sarahcant
    Surgery March 15
    Dr. Errico NYU
    Fused T-3 to S-1
    an inch and change taller
    nice and straight
    49 years old (yikes)

I haven't had this but wish you luck in finding out what is causing it.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

That seems like a bit long to have so much swelling, and I can't remember anyone describing their insides being numb. Are you constipated?

--LInda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

No Im not. Im only taking Vicodine as needed also. It is so uncomfortable and weird. My insides are killing me. I am calling the doctor tommorrow because I know he's in on Thursdays and will let you know what he says. I am so upset. I've been doing so well and now this.
        Sarahcant
        Surgery March 15
        Dr. Errico NYU
        Fused T-3 to S-1
        nice and straight
        49 years old (yikes)

Comment

You might want to also talk to your primary care physician. Orthopaedic surgeons aren't necessarily all that skilled when it comes to non-bone issues.

I hope you'll post whatever you learn.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hey Linda I called the surgeon today and they said to go to a gastro guy which I am doing tommorrow. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the advice, of course you were right!
            Sarahcant
            Surgery March 15
            Dr. Errico NYU
            Fused T-3 to S-1
            nice and straight
            49 years old (yikes)

Comment

My guts are very sore, too..and I have perfect bowel movements etc. I am told that internal bruising is not uncommon with back surgery...all of the pulling and pushing etc requires a LOT of force. It can take months to heal..still, best to see someone!

Comment

update

So the gastro guy thinks that it might be gas trapped. I cant drink anything with bubbles and I need to take gasx 4x a day. If Im not better by monday he wants me to go for a cat scan. He said that my numbness was external not internal but I do have some swelling on the right lower intestines. I agree with you Coldbricks I think that this is just one of those things that will take time. Im not a youngster like you, but I am doing so well that this is really bringing me down. I cant wear anything with a waist I look preggers! Oh well in the scheme of things I'll take this complication instead of anything else. Thanks for all of your comments. Happy Mothers day to all of the moms on the forum!
                Sarahcant
                Surgery March 15
                Dr. Errico NYU
                Fused T-3 to S-1
                nice and straight
                49 years old (yikes)

Comment

I had swelling that lasted into my 8th and 9th week post-op. I also had trouble with gas, stomach swelling and pain while on the Vicodin. I got off it around the same time, and I immediately started feeling better and my stomach swelling went away. That medicine can do a number on you, even if you're only taking it once a day. I took one the other day after really over-doing it, and the next day my stomach was in knots, pain, and slightly swollen. I thought to myself good lord, I was taking it every 4 hours at one point! no wonder I felt so miserable on that stuff!

good thing to be seeing a dr though, hopefully it will get better!
                  Rebecca
                  Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                  wore night bending brace as teenager
                  Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                  herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                  fusion L2-3 November 2008
                  Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                  Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                  Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                  gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                  Before and After X-rays
                  My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sarahcant... Any change in symptoms?

--Linda

Comment

update

Hi Linda I ended up have a catscan and it was normal. So the doctor put me on Floristor to help get my "gut" back to normal. I noticed that when I eat sugar or carbs I totally blow up. I saw Dr. Errico on Thursday and he told me not to gain any weight because it puts so much pressure on the back. So my feeling is that if I watch my diet and do what Im told I'll be ok. (easier said than done) Thanks for your concern, will keep you posted with any changes. How are you feeling?

Sarah
                      Sarahcant
                      Surgery March 15
                      Dr. Errico NYU
                      Fused T-3 to S-1
                      nice and straight
                      49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Hi Sarah...

Glad that it appears everything is OK.

I'm doing well. I still have some issues (limited sitting tolerance, for example), but I'm getting close to returning to work. I've been doing in to work for about 1/2 day every week, plus working a day or so at home. I'm waiting for a sit/stand workstation to be installed. Once that's done, I'll go back to work at least part-time. Can't wait!!

Regards,
                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                        X