No announcement yet.

Surgery successful!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking with the PT without a walker.... I'm impressed! My walker was my BFF for at least the first two weeks or so, then graduated to the cane. You sound like you are doing really well. Congratulations and continue to heal as your body allows, slow and steady. Once again, thumbs up for Dr. Boachie! Take care, LYNN
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

I put together some video footage from the HSS
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qMo_8uk7vw

Comment

Loved the video! What a caring family you have!
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

It's great to hear that your surgery went well. You are looking amazing!

Thanks for posting the photos and video--they're giving me a better idea of what to expect in the way of IV's, tubes, drains, bags, wires, masks, etc. (Yowie!) It also helps just seeing what the hospital room looks like. It's very encouraging to hear that you didn't have to wait long to get nursing help during your stay at HSS.

Congratulations and may your recovery continue to go smoothly.

boomergal
          54 years old
          T57, L43
          surgery scheduled with Dr. Boachie 7/05/11

Comment

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7522842_n.jpg

my pants wont stay on anymore!! my lordosis is gone..in the first pic i am really struggling to hold myself upright..in the second I am not thinking about it at all..very cool..I am not allowed to bend yet but that will really show it well.6-8 weeks
            Last edited by ColdBricks; 05-04-2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

That video is excellent. It is a great overview of the hospital stay.

Thanks to your family and you for making it.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I enjoyed watching your video and all is so fresh in my mind b/c my son just went through that a couple of weeks ago... twice actually, lol.

It's interesting that you felt the counter tops and things in general were lower down as you've gained some height. My son gained 4" and he seems 'off' with his judgment but is getting more used to things around the house.

Yes, you do seem to have a very loving family. Your mom sounds like she'd be fun to be around. ;-)
                Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

David,

Thank you so much for posting the video of your experience. I can't believe how you just "shot" out of bed! You look terrific! The video did a lot, to help allay my fears. I did notice the quick response time, when you called the nurse. Would you say, that was your experience, overall? If I do half as well as you did, I will be happy. Ah, to be 30 years younger.....! I am so happy for you.
                  Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                  T54/L72
                  Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                  Gained 2 inches!
                  Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                  12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                  Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

I had to stop watching and get some tissues. Thank you for such an awesome, inspiring video clip. This should be compulsory viewing for all facing this surgery.

I hope the remainder of your recovery goes smoothly. Going by this video, I am sure it will.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
                      Thank you so much for posting the video of your experience. I can't believe how you just "shot" out of bed! You look terrific! The video did a lot, to help allay my fears. I did notice the quick response time, when you called the nurse. Would you say, that was your experience, overall? If I do half as well as you did, I will be happy. Ah, to be 30 years younger.....! I am so happy for you.
                      Hi Lorz, I found the HSS response times were incredibly fast, especially at night. The hospital uses a different paradigm for their nurses station..each nurse or assistant is paged immediately when they're on the floor. So I think it never took more than like 30 seconds to get to my room..i know of some hospitals when you have to keep pressing just to talk to someone!

Comment

Congratulations!! You look great in photos and video. The video should be so helpful for those people contemplating or scheduled for surgery. You tell it like it is.

You are doing so well. You moved along so quickly after surgery. It is great! Wishing you a continued, smooth recovery. You are strong and it also helps to be young.

Enjoy your "new" body.

Irene

Comment

Hi David

Thanks for your response. All of your posts have been extremely helpful to me. I couldn't decide about hiring a private duty nurse, but after hearing your experience, I feel confident with the nursing care. I hope you continue to have an uneventful recovery. You are an inspiration!
                          Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                          T54/L72
                          Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                          Gained 2 inches!
                          Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                          12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                          Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

No problem. You will be fine....I am glad this helped!

Comment

Congrats on your successful surgery!! Just finished watching your video - thank you so much for linking it here. Your Mom brought me right back to a little over a year ago when my youngest DD had her surgery. Please thank your Mom for this - it's great and will help lot's of others about to face surgery.

You correction is great! Enjoy your new height!

Heal Well!
                              Dee
                              Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                              Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                              Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Thank you for sharing your story! It's really given me the push I need to think 'Yes, I can', I also have kyphosis and also scoliosis and it gives me so much hope to see how straight you are and how quickly you've recovered! Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery from the UK! Kate

Comment

Working...
                                X