I'm feeling anxious...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you so much ladies!

ARodsmom, that's great that your son is doing so well and only 3 months post op!

Lilysaidwhat, my family is going to come and stay with us during the surgery, we will likely just hang out around the hospital, in the cafeteria, etc... We booked a hotel room just across the street from the hospital, we would've used the Ronald Mcdonald House but you can't book in advance and there is no guarantee it's going to be available. It's usually booked solid from what I read.
    Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
    Diagnosed January 11/08
    In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
    Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Clarification - there is the RMD House but many hospitals have an on-site Family Room near the PICU unit which is free to use during the daytime. That's what I was talking about. I used to volunteer at the one at Duke University Hosp and really enjoyed it - if you are doing this in NYC there are no family rooms at any of their facilities (I am currently trying to work with them on that), but again, you can check the RMDH website and there is a list of Family Rooms, I think. Here's the link: http://rmhc.org/what-we-do/ronald-mcdonald-family-room/

Best of luck in any case! Those hours will be long any way you look at it.
      Female, age 38
      4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
      currently 64*upper/40*lower
      Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
      now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

We are having it in Toronto. I haven't heard of anything like that... hmmm, I will look into it! Thanks!
        Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

Hi MJB,

I've been thinking of you and your daughter as her date draws near...pretty soon she will be on the road to recovery.

How are you and your daughter holding up?

BTW, my daughter had her VBS surgery last year (5-17-2010) and all I could manage to do in the waiting room was text a few close friends, then flip through a book of cute dog photos that my work friends got for me (I love dogs). I tried to read a simple magazine but just couldn't concentrate. I also had an iPod and I may have listened to music for a bit.

Good luck, these last few days are truly the worst, then once your daughter is recovering you will feel so much better. Please keep us updated if possible. We mother hens worry about ALL our chicks.
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

HI Marlowe - It's normal to feel anxious...I wish all the best to you and your daughter - and will be thinking of you that day...I work just up the street from the hospital so I'll send good vibes your way.....we are still waiting for a date for surgery and were told that we'll find out in mid July for a Sept/Oct date...

MomtoM

Maddy diagnosed July 2008 (age 8) at 38 degrees
            Dec 2009 - increased to 42/45 (age 9.5)
            July 2010 – increased to 54 degrees – surgery recommended in 1.5 to 2 yrs (age 10)
            March 2011 – 61 degrees with 30% twist (almost 11) – surgery in Sept/Oct

Comment

Hey Marlowe,

Like Gayle, I have been thinking of you and Halle. I checked the blog... congratulations to Halle on winning the medal!

I don't know what you have planned for this weekend but on the weekend before my first kid's surgery, I ended up hanging out with an old friend from grad school. He and his two boys and me and my girls had a nice visit, walking in the woods, finding animals, identifying rocks, playing music, etc. It was relaxing and took our minds off the upcoming surgery.

And by a very weird coincidence, he was also in town the weekend before my second kid's surgery although without his kids to clean out his parents' house. The guy is like my accidental good luck charm for surgery!

So my suggestion is to plan some activities this weekend rather than just hunkering down at home if you haven't already.

Good luck.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thank you so much for thinking of us everyone!

We have a busy few days planned! Tomorrow I am taking Halle to Niagara Falls for the day, she loves it there! We will play games and check out some attractions! Saturday we planned a party for her with family and a few of her friends at Chuck E Cheese, so she is very excited about that!!! Sunday we will be at our Hotel because we have to be at the hospital at 6am on Monday. Sunday happens to be DH's birthday, so we will try to keep our minds off things by celebrating!

I have gone through a ton of emotions this week! Up and down of feeling ok, feeling anxierty and feeling down. Right now I am feeling good and thinking of all the positive things about her surgery. I am thinking of all the children out there that do not have healthcare accessible to them and how we really are blessed to have one of the best children's hospitals in the world taking care of her.

I was going to update her page again, we bought her a few things at the hospital today, so I was going to add them on her blog but Blogger is down for maintenance.
                Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

MJB,

I will also keep you in my prayers. It is great that you are planning a fun weekend for Halle before the surgery, I'm sure keeping her busy will help her relax.

The day before Emily's decompression surgery was Halloween, so she had great fun! We promised her that all of her candy would be waiting for when she came home. Since she was only 5 at the time, the candy was very important.
                  Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
                  28 degree scoliosis 9/04
                  Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
                  17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
                  Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
                  3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
                  11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

All the best tomorrow! I'll be thinking of Halle and you and your family. Please keep us updated as to how things are going. Hugs.
                    CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
                    Aug 08 - curve now 22*
                    Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
                    March 09 - in brace 14*
                    Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
                    Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
                    June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
                    Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
                    April 11 T 45*, L 31*
                    July 11 T 51*, L 37*
                    MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

Working...
                    X