Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had good results with Bone Growth Stimulator ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had good results with Bone Growth Stimulator ?

Due to a delayed fusion Im using/wearing a bone growth stimulator for the spine 4 hours a day. I was told by the rep they dont make them for thoracic so I have made my own make shift ties to hold it up very high on my body so that it is helps in the areas I had surgery T-2 to T-11 or 12. I dont know exactly what areas of my thoracic are not fused though..No one will elaborate on that.
    Hoping to hear from others who have had successful fusions after using it.And how long you wore it etc. I want the hardware removed at some point,so I really hope it works for me.
    I have additional pain when I wear it, it stings in my thoracic area and some pain feels like maybe from just the weight of it on my surgery area. I already have alot of pain, so it just adds to it. Is it normal having pain when you wear it? rep said it should go away after a while, but mine doesnt.

Leanne, The stinging must be from the weigh, because the bone stimulator should not cause you any pain. I used mine for 9 months, four hours each day and my fusion was successful.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

leanne, your private message in box is full...
      you need to empty old messages to get any new ones

jess

Comment

sally

You must have wore it from the beginnig right after your fusion?

Comment

unfortunately, I wore mine after my first revision for 6 months post op, 4 hours a day, and still didn't fuse.
          I hope you have better luck!

Mine never caused any pain, but something about it messed with my bowels...
          25 years old
          double 70+ degree curves before surgery
          Anterior on 11/11/08
          Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
          nearly perfect correction
          fused t-10 to pelvis
          with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
          Broke left rod on 10/24/09
          Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
          Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
          Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

fierceliketiger

How are you doing now? You had another revison recenlty right? I hope things are going better for you. It sounds like you have really been through alot.

Comment

I wore my bone growth stimulator for 23 hours a day, for four months following surgery. I only took it off to shower. Felt like I had a leash, but so far, i can say it was worth it. Have had one follow-up since revision surgery and appears all well on the fusing front!
              Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
              Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
              T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
              Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
              Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
              Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
              Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
              Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
              Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Great! Thats promising to hear. I started April 20, and told to wear it 4 hrs per day. I hyave missed just 1 day. But it is painful for me when I wear it. I have to wear it way up high near my neck and down as I had t2-t-12 surgery. It makes it sting bad in my spine. I can barely stand to wear it and wait to get it off.
                People looked at me like I was freak moniored from an asylum or something when i wore it in public so i quit. Because the digital box thing is like up on my chest just under my . It does look very weird because of this.
                I pray I have good luck as you did and that I fuse. I want the implants removed. terrible problems/reaction of some sort and auto-immune since the surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by leannebr View Post
                  You must have wore it from the beginnig right after your fusion?
                  Yes! Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I have been away.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

leanne, are you still using the bone growth stimulator or was it not seeming to help you?

jess

Comment

I know you said dont reply jess.
                      But I am not using it because it causes more pain. Had to stop may 20, just temporarily I hope.

Comment

i hope something helps you, leanne!

jess

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                          Leanne, The stinging must be from the weigh, because the bone stimulator should not cause you any pain. I used mine for 9 months, four hours each day and my fusion was successful.
                          Sally
                          Wow! I saw the pics of you skating! I need a revision surgery because I developed "flat back" after my S1 - T8 fusion May 2010. I'm 62 myself and it was good to see that your last surgery was successful.

Comment

having Shingles inside near my spine and the implants didnt help. Pain was really bad. Probably Post hepratic neurolgia from the shingles.. I am going to try and wear it again soon. I'm over 8 months post op. Maybe its too late to start again.

Comment

Call the company and see if they have anything that will make the stimulator more comfortable for you.

I had had pain in my upper abdomen and thought it was from the stimulator so I stopped for a week. The pain didn't stop so I started again. However, I called the company and they sent me suspenders to clip on the stimulator. It made it a bit more comfortable to wear.

I don't know if I am fused or not. I'm almost 8 months post op. I can't wait to be done with the stimulator. It is a nuisance but I am faithful to it. My surgeon told me I didn't have to take it on vacation. I'll get a week off.

Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
                              X