Out of curiosity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of curiosity...

Can your rib hump come back after surgery? Is that suppouse to mean that you are not fused? or can you be fusing but still get a bit of the rib hump back?
    Can your rib hump get better months after surgery?
    Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
    Now age 32
    Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
    Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
    Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
    Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
    Dr. Robert Pashman
    Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
    Before and after xrays :
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

This is something I've also wondered about, whether, during the time of fusion taking place, the spine can perhaps rotate a little more, particularly if fusion is taking a longer than usual time. At one point I thought my rib hump (which disappeared completely after surgery) was coming back, but I think it was my "paranoid delusions" because there's no sign of it now. It was my rib hump I disliked most of all.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Pilar,
      Those are good questions. I don't know the answers.
      Jennifer,
      I constantly feel my back to make sure the rib hump is not reappearing. I think I'm a little paranoid, as well. I hated it more than the curve. By the way, I've appreciated your support during my pre-op and post-op days.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi--
        I think I'm sort of unusual since mine reappeared but not near as bad as before. Maybe it was just that the surgery pulled it up straight so it was better & not curved off way to the right. Plus, my left bottom side was totally caved in. It seemed to me at about 3-4 months?? after surgery I started to notice it and was really worried. (Maybe it was just hidden by the swelling until then. I had never had rotation measured for some reason. At 1 year rib hump was measured at 12 degrees. Just went for my 2 year this week and it was 14. He seemed to think since I am now totally fused that it should not change any more. I'm sort of worried about doing twisting stuff like yoga though, even though he said it was fine, since I don't want to make it worse. Lean to left had increased too--he said it had settled. I discussed this on my 2-year appt. thread. Don't know if this helps. Most on here seem to have their rib hump gone so maybe you shouldn't go by me!
        Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
          Pilar,
          Those are good questions. I don't know the answers.
          Jennifer,
          I constantly feel my back to make sure the rib hump is not reappearing. I think I'm a little paranoid, as well. I hated it more than the curve. By the way, I've appreciated your support during my pre-op and post-op days.
          Thanks for the kind words Karen. I was also always feeling for my rib hump. Gradually, I've stopped doing that.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi...

I suspect it's as Janet guessed... that there was swelling in the area that made the ribs appear flatter than they actually were. Over the years, I've heard on boards from people who felt that their rib humps were reappearing, but I've never actually witnessed anything like it, and have never heard a surgeon talk about anything like this.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda--
              So is this really unusual for a rib hump to get worse from year one to 2-years post op? Since I'm fused should it really stay put or will it keep going? He seemed to think it wouldn't but I'm still a bit fearful of doing the twisting type exercises, etc. that might increase the rib hump. Thanks. Janet
              Janet

Comment

thanks for posting this

I too have seemed to notice that my rib humps, although tiny compared to before, seem to be more prevalent lately and I thought that I was going crazy/paranoid. But I also think that the swelling that was there after surgery is pretty much completely gone and had wondered if that is why they are noticed now and possibly were always there. I catch myself just staring and comparing them day to day. I go for my 6 mos checkup Wed. and almost feel faint to think that something is wrong after all of this recovery under our belts. I had checked this board quite a few times and had too noticed all of the people posting that their humps were completely GONE and I was scared. Still am of course, but feel better knowing that I am not alone in this. Once again, thanks to all who post here to keep me from going crazy.
                Heidi
                35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
                60 degree thoracic
                44 degree lumbar
                Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
                Dr. Lenke St. Louis
                1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
                fused T1 to L1

Comment

Janet

I cant say I blame you, I feel the same way about twisting. Its something I would be hesitant to do often....
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the fusion is solid, and hardware is solid, it seems unlikely that a hump would grow....why would the rib change shape after being fused? (fused through the thoracic)

I don’t think that this is something to worry about....The main thing is trying to come through pain free.
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                    Linda--
                    So is this really unusual for a rib hump to get worse from year one to 2-years post op? Since I'm fused should it really stay put or will it keep going? He seemed to think it wouldn't but I'm still a bit fearful of doing the twisting type exercises, etc. that might increase the rib hump. Thanks. Janet
                    I don't think it's common at all, but I have seen others mention it. I would love to hear your surgeon's explanation.

You shouldn't be concerned about twisting at 2 years postop. If your fusion is solid, no amount of twisting during exercise is going to allow your rib cage to change.

--Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Linda. At one year, he basically said that since I had so much rotation & twisting, it had to go somewhere. Something like that. That it couldn't be totally taken care of.
                      Janet

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Linda. At one year, he basically said that since I had so much rotation & twisting, it had to go somewhere. Something like that. That it couldn't be totally taken care of.
                        That answer doesn't seem to apply to the question of why you feel your rib hump has increased since surgery. The next time you see Dr. Lenke, have him explain it to you in terms that makes sense to the question.

Regards,
                        Linda

Comment

I don't see him again for 3 years. Maybe it's a question I can ask through Kelly at the office.
                          Janet

Comment

Thanks for your replies!
                            It's probably me being paranoid, or the swelling on my left side subsided and makes my right side, the rib hump side, to protude. However, I can see and feel my rib hump now... It is not like before post op. Maybe the fusion is settleling? who knows... I am still happy with the results though. I only wish that the hump would have been all gone...
                            P.
                            Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
                            Now age 32
                            Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
                            Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
                            Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
                            Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
                            Dr. Robert Pashman
                            Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
                            Before and after xrays :
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Comment

Out of curiosity

Linda--
                              Janet,
                              We met in Dr. Lenke's waiting room. My husband and I were seated next to you and yours. In fact, you told me about this forum. Thank you. My surgery is June 6th and 7 th. halo traction on 5/27.
                              Now, for the rib hump. I had my first surgeries in 1978 and 1979. I had a sharp hump and my last surgery was a resection of it. It was not gone but it was much, much better. Over the years I have lost my correction and my "new Hump" is different, as is my curve. It is much higher and is causing my neck to move dangerously forward.
                              My cervical spine is a real mess. I am sure is was just moving forward to balance the changes that were happening in my spine. I urge all of you to check your vitamin D and calcium levels; keep your bones strong. My spine is still fused but it bends;it feels like I am caving in. I am a post polio person and our bones are a bit different. Be careful about bending and twisting; just do the good spine care that we are told to do.
                              Your hump will not just reappear, but if you start to lose correction, you may get a change, as I did. I am sure that Dr.Lenke is correct in saying that the first couple of years, your back is just settling. I am sure that you must have had a Dexa scan.
                              Remember, if you have a fusion, you don't use the spine for the Dexa, you use the hip and wrist. If they do the spine, you get a false reading. This happened to me.

I hope I didn't increase anxiety but our bodies are all different. Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                              X