Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Therapy before surgery?

Hi Everyone,

When I went to the spine doctor, I had pulled or torn some muscles and was whining about that to him. We also went onto the topic of having surgery and right before the appointment ended, he prescribed four weeks of physical therapy--to strengthen my back muscles. I probably have wimpy muscles as the only exercise I get is working with the dogs.

Anyway, has anyone else had a doctor who prescribed physical therapy or exercises to strengthen back muscles before surgery? I am not sure if he prescribed it to help me with my pulled muscles or to be better prepared for surgery.
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
    Hi Everyone,

When I went to the spine doctor, I had pulled or torn some muscles and was whining about that to him. We also went onto the topic of having surgery and right before the appointment ended, he prescribed four weeks of physical therapy--to strengthen my back muscles. I probably have wimpy muscles as the only exercise I get is working with the dogs.

Anyway, has anyone else had a doctor who prescribed physical therapy or exercises to strengthen back muscles before surgery? I am not sure if he prescribed it to help me with my pulled muscles or to be better prepared for surgery.
    Hi...

Many doctors insist on a course of physical therapy before discussing surgery seriously. Some people have been able to avoid surgery, at least for now, by doing daily exercise. Hopefully, the prescription includes core strengthening exercises.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
    X