Swimsuit Shopping NOT painful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimsuit Shopping NOT painful

I know this is a trivial post, BUT for the first time in at least 20 years, I was estatic that it was a good experience when checking out a new swimsuit in three
    way mirrors. In the past, it made me want to cry. Granted, I am 60 years old and no one is going to drool over my body, but I will not be embarassed to be seen by people I know in a swimsuit. (In the past, I only went swimming on vacations. ) I still can't believe that my rib hump is gone as well as having even shoulders and a straight back. Thank you, Dr. Lenke!

Happy Easter to all of my scoli friends!
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
    I know this is a trivial post, BUT for the first time in at least 20 years, I was estatic that it was a good experience when checking out a new swimsuit in three
    way mirrors. In the past, it made me want to cry. Granted, I am 60 years old and no one is going to drool over my body, but I will not be embarassed to be seen by people I know in a swimsuit. (In the past, I only went swimming on vacations. ) I still can't believe that my rib hump is gone as well as having even shoulders and a straight back. Thank you, Dr. Lenke!

Happy Easter to all of my scoli friends!
    Hi Karen...

I'm really happy for you. It may seem trivial in comparison to things like stopping the progression and helping with pain, but the pain of body image issues is very real.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I think it's wonderful that you feel so good about shopping for a bathing suit. I just said to Elias earlier that he can now wear those little tight T-shirts like the Puerto Rican boys do, lol.
      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Good news, Karen! Enjoy!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Elisa,
          I just now went to Eliah's blog. How wonderful he looks! You both have to be excited that he is doing so well.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

yay!

So not trivial Karen! Ive lost weight with this surgery plus a straight back without having to hide my entire back? priceless!!! Sometimes just focusing on those things keeps me going thru the pain and aggravation of this whole process I CANT WAIT TO GO SHOPPING! You go girl!!! Happy shopping and mirror watching to you...and happy easter, spring and anything else that makes you happy!

Sarahcant
            march 15 nyu dr errico
            t-5 c-1

ps how do you guys have all the info come up on the bottom of your posts?
            Sarahcant
            Surgery March 15
            Dr. Errico NYU
            Fused T-3 to S-1
            an inch and change taller
            nice and straight
            49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Originally posted by sarahcant View Post
              ps how do you guys have all the info come up on the bottom of your posts?
              Sarah, to make a signature with your personal info, go to the top right of the forum page, click on 'settings' then look over to the left side of the screen and click on 'edit settings' and then type in what you want as your signature.
              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

I always wore bikinis anyway (I was long-waisted even with my curvature) but didn't have a....dent, I guess?.... in my back, and didn't care about my rib hump.

HOWEVER what I have found post-op is that my work dresses which used to fit are now too loose. I had to accommodate a wider girth for the rib hump, and now that it's gone, I've got to drop to a 6 from an 8. And I do look more lithe and thin with a flat back. There is still a slight lower curve but I like having it. I know. I am weird.

Enjoy shopping! I'm off to buy a new bikini for the summer online. I'm too cheap to buy bathing suits in stores.
                Female, age 38
                4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                currently 64*upper/40*lower
                Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Swimsuit shopping without grimacing--the stuff dreams are made of!!

Evelyn
                  age 48
                  80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                  Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                  Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                  Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                  Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Enjoy your new body! That's great. I know I am looking in the mirror and see a straight, lean body. I lost about 8-10 pounds and have kept it off. I can't wait to see what I look like in a bathing suit. I'm not sure how I will pull it up but that is what a dressing stick is for.

Best,
                    Irene

Comment

My husband told me last night that I'm too thin b/c my ribs are more prominent. I said, "is it that I'm too thin or that America is generally fat?" I think that's the case - in the 1970s I'd be just right. I'm not gaining weight to accommodate being an inch taller.
                      Female, age 38
                      4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                      currently 64*upper/40*lower
                      Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                      now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

question

Irene...what is a dressing stick? Its sounds like the answer to my problems! and can you tell me where to buy one?

thanks

sarahcant
                        Sarahcant
                        Surgery March 15
                        Dr. Errico NYU
                        Fused T-3 to S-1
                        nice and straight
                        49 years old (yikes)

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-27-Dr...3587675&sr=1-1

This is a photo of a dressing stick. The end that looks like a clothes hook helps when you want to hold the legs of pants open so you can put your legs in without bending over. This end also helps to take socks off. The hook can be used to pull up pants or like a grabber kind of thing. Hope this helps. I'm not suggesting you order from Amazon. It was a good place to get a photo.

Comment

thanks so much! I ordered it already and Im glad you showed me where to get it from!! Have a great holiday
                            Sarahcant
                            Surgery March 15
                            Dr. Errico NYU
                            Fused T-3 to S-1
                            nice and straight
                            49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Hi Karen! What a great post. Congrats on the fun experience. I too have always dreaded swimsuit shopping, you make me excited to get out there and find the perfect one without cringing.
                              Happy summer!!
                              Shari - 55 years old
                              Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                              Post op 13 degree curve.
                              Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                              2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                              Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                              www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Working...
                              X