Swimming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming?

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere already... But when are they allowed to go in a pool again after surgery? Not doing laps or anything, just for fun.... We were told a year for swimming but if all goes well, maybe 6 months but a year for all other sports.. Now I am thinking even 6 months seems long, if it's just to go in the pool and not actually swim... I mean what harm could it do? or can it?
    Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
    Diagnosed January 11/08
    In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
    Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

As soon as they can take a shower they can go in a pool as far as I know. When the incision has closed is the criteria.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

You should check with the surgeon, but it should be a lot sooner than 6 months. I was allowed in the pool about 2-3 weeks postop.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was an avid swimmer before surgery, so was anxious to return to the pool after surgery. I was allowed to return to the pool at 3.5 weeks post-op, which was 10 days after the staples were removed. I started back just walking then shortly after that (by 5-6 weeks) began a little bit of kicking with the kickboard. At 3 months post-op I was swimming ~45 minutes/day x 5-6 days a week.

Good luck with your daughter's surgery. Please let us know how she does.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Alexander was also allowed in a pool around 3 weeks post-op. It wasn't the most comfortable place for him at that time because he felt really unstable and like he might slip and fall. When he tried swimming again around 6-8 weeks post-op, he felt much better in the pool.
          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

When I saw my surgeon at 5 months post op he said it would be good for me to walk in water as this helps to strengthen the core muscles.This suits me as I cant swim due to a fear of water so I can just about walk in it.

He said swimming backwards is better for the back as swimming forwards can put too much strain on the neck.
            Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

well i was allowed to go back in the pool at 3 months postop
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Working...
              X