No announcement yet.

CA bound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA has extremely capable surgeons, second perhaps to NYC in regard by other doctors and surgeons...not to negate the middle of the country, but CA docs take a back seat to no one!

mind you, the docs asked about CA vs. NYC were New Yorkers, as is this writer...so you may assume a tiny bit of slight favoritism...but all doctors i consulted said i should be on one coast or the other for my scoli surgery if i had a choice!
    i'd put my money on almost any scoli surgeon in CA on SRS list, or at Cedars Sinai for openers (& aren't you in southern CA, Melissa?)

jess

Comment

Melissa,
      I feel bad for all that you have gone through but think that you have a good surgeon and that eventually your pain issues will be resolved. You have to be tough if you have scoliosis. You have been tested more than most!!! Good luck.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. This is the explanation from Dr B.

As for your situation -- the lumbar nonunion is a smaller problem although it probably accounts for the majority of your pain. It appears that your spinal cord has some damage to it which accounts for your weakness and abnormal reflexes. There is also some ongoing compression which is making things worse. It is difficult to know how much recovery (better strength in your left arm and leg) is possible. Part of the reason for this is that you have a significant curve near the junction of the cervical and thoracic spines that was uncorrected and that the location of the surgery in your neck was at an unstable area where you normally bend to straighten up your head.
        In your lumbar spine you will need a revision to get the fusion to take and replace the broken hardware. For your neck, you will need a correction of the curve between C7 and T3 and stabilization past your cervical fusion above C5. Depending on what type of hardware you have in place it may make more sense to replace everything and use different material.
        In order to better understand what happened with your neck surgery and to determine what implants were used I will need all of your operative reports.
        The CT myelogram will show us in more detail where the fusion is not taking place (both lumbar and cervical) and better detail of where there is ongoing spinal cord or nerve compression.
        Once we have the myelogram and OR notes, we can then make a decision in more detail about what needs to be done.
        Let me know if this makes any more sense.

Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa...

You might want to ask Dr. B. what he means by "stabilization past your cervical fusion above C5".

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Hi Melissa...

You might want to ask Dr. B. what he means by "stabilization past your cervical fusion above C5".

--Linda
            I will do that
            Thanks
            Melissa

Comment

I think you're at last on the right path Melissa. I am wondering if it's ethical to state your first surgeon's name...I'm thinking future patients in NC may need to know...to avoid. I know that I would want to know if I lived in NC and was considering spinal fusion surgery.

I hope you can get the information to Dr. Bederman that he needs to expedite this for you. Thinking of you. I come here every day to get news, and it seems since you've seen Dr. Bederman, things have moved quite quickly, including getting the all important reason for your pain. Hang in there Melissa, things are going to improve!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Melissa,
                At least, now it sounds like Dr. B has a plan for you. Hang in there. We are all pulling for you.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Dr. B does sounds very articulate and I have a good feeling about him and if Linda personally recommended him to you, I would definitely listen to what he has to say. I hope he sorts everything out for you Melissa.
                  Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                  Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                  Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                  http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

[QUOTE=Ballet Mom;120779]My own thinking is to get the non-fusion fixed immediately and hopefully get relief from that pain. Then spend quite a bit of time getting these other opinions from the best doctors you can afford. I would NOT be in a rush to get any part of Dr. Bederman's plan done other than fixing the non-fusion. Make sure at the consults the doctors describe to you what your quality of life will be after such a procedure. They should be upfront with you. You are the one who will be living with anything done, after all.
                    QUOTE]

I agree with this. Fix the bottom first, then wait. One thing at a time.
                    Hang in there Melissa
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Melissa...

--Linda
                      Probably best to go up to C2. Anything below that has a high risk of failure. C2 keeps 50 percent of your neck motion.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your good wishes

Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa,

Did you call Dr. Lenke's office and try to get an appointment? It is really important that you get at least a second and probably a third opinion on what Dr. Bederman is proposing to do.

Here is Dr. Lenke's number in case you can't find it:

http://wuphysicians.wustl.edu/physic...px?PhysNum=845

And personally, I would call Dr. Johnson also:

http://www.spineexperts.com/md-jpatrickjohnson.htm

Please get additional opinions before committing to anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                            Hi Melissa,

Did you call Dr. Lenke's office and try to get an appointment? It is really important that you get at least a second and probably a third opinion on what Dr. Bederman is proposing to do.

Here is Dr. Lenke's number in case you can't find it:

http://wuphysicians.wustl.edu/physic...px?PhysNum=845

And personally, I would call Dr. Johnson also:

http://www.spineexperts.com/md-jpatrickjohnson.htm

Please get additional opinions before committing to anything.
                            Did you think you Melissa didn't hear you the first time you said it? It's one thing to encourage and recommend, it's another thing to harrass someone with one's opinion.
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Did you think you Melissa didn't hear you the first time you said it? It's one thing to encourage and recommend, it's another thing to harrass someone with one's opinion.
                              That's ridiculous. Really.

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
                                Probably best to go up to C2. Anything below that has a high risk of failure. C2 keeps 50 percent of your neck motion.
                                That's really good to know. . .and (I think) very encouraging, too.

I'm anxious to hear what the plan is, as it unfolds. I take it that you are going to have one heck of a long fusion, but if it's what's needed to live a decent life, then it's a good thing. (No one can say that I won't end up similarly, and if that should happen, I will look at you as an inspiration.)
                                I totally get how much pain the non-union causes (3 of my 12 levels didn't fuse, and after about a month post my hardware removal, the pain was indescribable until my next surgery. . .I swear, I think I would have preferred to spend those 10 or so weeks in labor w/a breech 10 pounder!) The first time that I stood up after my last surgery, even though I was in the pain we expect, I was keenly and gratefully aware that the pain I had been in was totally gone. I hope that you have that same happy experience.

I'm very happy for you that, even if it can't get here quickly enough, it sounds like relief is on the way.
                                Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                                Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                                Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X