No announcement yet.

CA bound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the CT mylogram scheduled for next Thursday. At the hospital, here in NC, they had never had a patient due all three levels in one day. They wanted to do my back one day and then have me come back another day to do my neck. I told them I really wanted to have it done in one day.

Melissa

Comment

"We've never had. . ." is a sort of lame explanation of why it shouldn't be done in one visit. Hopefully, someone here will know if there is AN ACTUAL contraindication to doing it all in one fell swoop. Maybe you will have to do it in 2 sessions, even if it could/should be accomplished in 1, just because that is what they are used to, and straying from that might mess them up. It's no surprise that the hospital staff will find you unique - many of them will, most likely, never see another patient with your level of complexity, no matter how many years they have worked, or will work.
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mgs View Post
        "We've never had. . ." is a sort of lame explanation of why it shouldn't be done in one visit. Hopefully, someone here will know if there is AN ACTUAL contraindication to doing it all in one fell swoop. Maybe you will have to do it in 2 sessions, even if it could/should be accomplished in 1, just because that is what they are used to, and straying from that might mess them up. It's no surprise that the hospital staff will find you unique - many of them will, most likely, never see another patient with your level of complexity, no matter how many years they have worked, or will work.
        They called me back and said that it could be done in one day.
        I have a question for you . How is a osteotomy related to scoliosis?

Melissa

Comment

I am sooo glad that they are OK with doing it all in 1 appointment!!!

In my case, Dr. Tribus did the osteotomy to correct the sagittal imbalance that was an unwanted result of my first fusion surgery, and became starkly noticeable after my hardware removal surgery. Like they say, it can be a tough call as to getting the OR table's levels correct during a fusion surgery, and my initial surgery left me with no "small of [my] back". . .which led to my sagittal imbalance, which became more pronounced with time. I was pitching forward. By cutting out a wedge from a lower vertebrae (he cut from my L-3 or L-4, I forget which) I could again stand straight. I liken it to sewing - from the little I remember of sewing - making a notch in the fabric can make a garment hang properly. There may be other scoli reasons for an osteotomy, but I don't know what they are.
          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
          Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
          Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mgs View Post
            I am sooo glad that they are OK with doing it all in 1 appointment!!!

In my case, Dr. Tribus did the osteotomy to correct the sagittal imbalance that was an unwanted result of my first fusion surgery, and became starkly noticeable after my hardware removal surgery. Like they say, it can be a tough call as to getting the OR table's levels correct during a fusion surgery, and my initial surgery left me with no "small of [my] back". . .which led to my sagittal imbalance, which became more pronounced with time. I was pitching forward. By cutting out a wedge from a lower vertebrae (he cut from my L-3 or L-4, I forget which) I could again stand straight. I liken it to sewing - from the little I remember of sewing - making a notch in the fabric can make a garment hang properly. There may be other scoli reasons for an osteotomy, but I don't know what they are.
            Thanks for explaining and yes I am very happy that they can do all three CTs on the same day

Melissa

Comment

Good news Melissa and good luck. You'll be so glad when it's done and you'll be one step further towards a proper diagnosis and treatment decision.

PS Love the osteotomy. I had more than one (don't know the number) and I love what it did for the shape of my back.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks. Even though I am in so much pain, I feel better knowing that there is a plan. My new doctor seems so much more through than my last. My left hand has been swollen for several weeks now and when I mentioned it to my first surgeon, he just told me that there was nothing to be done. When I emailed Dr B, he immediately sent me for a ultrasound to rule out a blood clot

Melissa

Comment

What , if anything, do I owe my old surgeon ? Do I owe him an letter telling him that I am having the surgery in CA? Do I go to have an appointment with him and tell him face to face? or do I just do nothing?

Melissa

Comment

Melissa, I feel very glad that you've at last found a doctor who's caring and thorough - and prompt.

Regarding the previous surgeon, my first thought was, he doesn't deserve a letter, however on second thoughts, I feel you should update him on what Dr. B has discovered, and what he's doing for you. I feel he needs to know his treatment of you was inappropriate and lacking, though you don't have to say this. He will know, simply by what Dr. B has discovered and is doing for you. Perhaps it might cause him to treat future patients with more care and with a determination to discover what's causing their pain and send on those patients to another surgeon if he feels he hasn't the skills to help them, which it seems to me, he didn't, in your case. Perhaps wait until Dr. B reads the results of your latest tests, so that you can include those results.

I don't think you should hope for an apology, but the knowledge he might have to re-think his mode of patient care, will be satisfaction enough.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                      Melissa, I feel very glad that you've at last found a doctor who's caring and thorough - and prompt.

Regarding the previous surgeon, my first thought was, he doesn't deserve a letter, however on second thoughts, I feel you should update him on what Dr. B has discovered, and what he's doing for you. I feel he needs to know his treatment of you was inappropriate and lacking, though you don't have to say this. He will know, simply by what Dr. B has discovered and is doing for you. Perhaps it might cause him to treat future patients with more care and with a determination to discover what's causing their pain and send on those patients to another surgeon if he feels he hasn't the skills to help them, which it seems to me, he didn't, in your case. Perhaps wait until Dr. B reads the results of your latest tests, so that you can include those results.

I don't think you should hope for an apology, but the knowledge he might have to re-think his mode of patient care, will be satisfaction enough.
                      Thanks for the advice

Melissa

Comment

Can someone explain to me in english what this means?

You will need a revision fusion with extension up to C2, osteotomies from C7 to T3 and possibly a staged anterior surgery for correction of the lumbar nonunions.

Comment

Now I am having a EMG test done. What is this?

Melissa

Comment

It looks as though it's a test for "evaluating and recording the electrical activity produced by skeletal muscles"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromyography
                            Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                            Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                            Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                            http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
                              Can someone explain to me in english what this means?

You will need a revision fusion with extension up to C2,.
                              As discussed previously, the fusion would be extended up to C2, the second vertebra in your neck.

osteotomies from C7 to T3
                              Osteotomies are wedges, taken out of the vertebrae, to allow for re-alignment. You can see diagrams of a few types of ostotomies here:

http://www.coa-aco.org/coa-bulletin/...teotomies.html

staged anterior surgery for correction of the lumbar nonunions.
                              The lumbar area that didn't fuse might need to be augmented with additional fusion material from the front (which would require an incision on your belly).
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post

As discussed previously, the fusion would be extended up to C2, the second vertebra in your neck.

The lumbar area that didn't fuse might need to be augmented with additional fusion material from the front (which would require an incision on your belly).
                                What does being fused to C2 do to my mobility?

Would I have 2 incisions or would the broken rod be fixed from the front?

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X