Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APPT. WITH SURGEON MAY 10TH (about my pitching forward again!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APPT. WITH SURGEON MAY 10TH (about my pitching forward again!!)

I have been on here a couple times since my second surgery with the same surgeon. He revised my scoliosis correction that had gone bad and had to be corrected for saggital imbalance and flatback syndrome on Oct 20th.(6 mo. ago) Anyway, I am six months out, and the very same thing is happening. Only worse, I do believe. He extended my rods from first surgery, "pevic to T10" to second surgery, "pelvic to T2." I thought everything was great at first. He had also done an osteotomy at "L3." Slow but sure I started to pitch out in the pelvic area and bend over as though looking at the floor. Its very hard to describe this to people from our standpoint. But believe me , its very painful and fatuiging to the person dealing with it. I feel as though I'm bending over at the shoulder area and pitching out in the pelvic area and I don't have a lordosis curve. Why would this happen? How many surgeries can a person have? That's what scares the ha'gebbies out of me.I think these are really tough surgeries on the body. And I'V HAD A LOT OF SURGERIES!Twenty-two to be exact. But these last two were the worst. I had a vascular bone transplant on my left arm. It was tough, I thought. Until I had the scoliosis surgeries and the revision . Whew! No comparison. The vascular bone transplant was for a bone infection and a 10 hr. long surgery. I was 40 yrs. old then. And 58 now, BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THEY'RE A NIGHTMARE SURGERY. Just hate to think about this again. I definately am looking into second opinion. Just need lots of prayers from you all, as this has really put me in a dark place right now. And it takes a lot to get me down. Thanks for listening to me. My prayers also go out to all of you that have been through this and have yet to go through it for the first time. And those , like me going through it for the pehaps third time, and some perhaps more than that! Pray on this "Palm Sunday" that our answers are out there waiting. And that there is help. God Bless You All! Boomer
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

I'm so sad to read this boomer. I wish I could advise, but I just wanted you to know someone read your story and that my heart goes out to you. So unfair. Definitely get a second opinion from a different surgeon. The lack of lordosis doesn't sound good, and I wonder if others who've had sagittal imbalance had this same lack of lordosis. I was given a whack of it and I am still upright at 2 years though I don't know for sure if it means anything.

I hope someone who knows plenty about this thing (and there are a few who do) comes along to give you some advice. It must be a long and lonely night for you right now. Easy for me to say, but stay strong, and keep heading towards that light at the end of the very long tunnel - and be determined that you're going to have this thing made right!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My heart truly goes out to you. Sagittal imbalance makes life difficult to live, let alone enjoy. What my daily life was before this third surgery is still fresh in my mind. . .that's probably why I am probably overdoing my activity level right now. . .being free of it makes me feel like a kid in a candy store.
      Your post did throw me - to learn that it can happen again is not happy news.
      You have no choice but to get it fixed - again - and asap. I know how you feel about facing another surgery. I haven't had as many surgeries as you have (I've had 8, total, for various reasons) but I have had 3 scoliosis surgeries since 8/09. . .I understand that it does get old, and it sometimes feel that the life we get is not at all the life we expected.
      On the flip side, getting this fixed won't - I would guess - be anywhere near as bad of an experience as your last surgery, if there isn't any more fusion to be done.
      Thinking - and praying - for you.
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Hi Boomer,

I am heartbroken to read your post and can only imagine your anguish, especially after two huge surgeries. I am curious if you have returned to your current surgeon lately and if so, what does he have to say? Any chance the saggital balance of the fusion itself is ok, and that your posture could be helped by muscle strengthening? Just a thought...

I would definitely be looking for a second opinion from someone who is experienced with revisions. Maybe Linda can help point you in the right direction.

Please let us know how things are going.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi...

It's important to remember that Boomer lives in a remote area, and does not have easy access to experts.

Boomer, were you pitched forward right after the revision surgery? If not, the problem is likely the implants and not a lack of lordosis. If you want to have an expert look at your xrays, please feel free to send them to me. Contact me at lindaracine @ earthlink.net (without the spaces).

Regards,
          linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Reply to Linda R.

Hi Linda, I was very straight to begin with. In fact I truley thought it was the light at the end of the tunnel. About three mo. of pretty good recovery. But then down hill. Plus the screw that attaches to the pelvic bone(one of them)on the right side is pushing so far out of my skin, you could hang a shirt on it. It may have something to do with my balance. Anyway, when I get the xrays on May 10th, I will get back to you and let you know what they say. I so far have just had xrays at the local hospital and they are harder to determine, because they're not set uo for the whole pictue of the spine in one long xray. I hope you are doing well Linda. As I know you have been through this recently. Please accept my prayers for your complete recovery! I will try to send the Xrays. Thank-you for your response. And everyone else too. I truley need all the understanding I can get. If you know what I mean. Unless you've been through it, you just don't know. God Bless you all! Boomer
            Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
            May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
              Hi Linda, I was very straight to begin with. In fact I truley thought it was the light at the end of the tunnel. About three mo. of pretty good recovery. But then down hill. Plus the screw that attaches to the pelvic bone(one of them)on the right side is pushing so far out of my skin, you could hang a shirt on it. It may have something to do with my balance. Anyway, when I get the xrays on May 10th, I will get back to you and let you know what they say. I so far have just had xrays at the local hospital and they are harder to determine, because they're not set uo for the whole pictue of the spine in one long xray. I hope you are doing well Linda. As I know you have been through this recently. Please accept my prayers for your complete recovery! I will try to send the Xrays. Thank-you for your response. And everyone else too. I truley need all the understanding I can get. If you know what I mean. Unless you've been through it, you just don't know. God Bless you all! Boomer
              Hi...

I'm almost positive that your issue is that one or more of your screws are not doing their job.

How long do you have to wait to see your surgeon?

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                Hi...

I'm almost positive that your issue is that one or more of your screws are not doing their job.

How long do you have to wait to see your surgeon?

--Linda
                I will see him May 10th.
                May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
                  I will see him May 10th.
                  doh! I looked thru your posts for a date, but failed to notice the subject.

Comment

babyboomer16

I hope you find answers and get better. I will say some prayers for you today.

Comment

You are an inspiration to me since I am going in for second surgery August 17th and too scared for words!! I need to hear about positive outcomes and my surgery will be 9 hours, posterior only. Dr. Boachie in New York.
                      thanks for posting
                      Cindi

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                      I'm so sad to read this boomer. I wish I could advise, but I just wanted you to know someone read your story and that my heart goes out to you. So unfair. Definitely get a second opinion from a different surgeon. The lack of lordosis doesn't sound good, and I wonder if others who've had sagittal imbalance had this same lack of lordosis. I was given a whack of it and I am still upright at 2 years though I don't know for sure if it means anything.

I hope someone who knows plenty about this thing (and there are a few who do) comes along to give you some advice. It must be a long and lonely night for you right now. Easy for me to say, but stay strong, and keep heading towards that light at the end of the very long tunnel - and be determined that you're going to have this thing made right!

Comment

Working...
                      X