broken rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
    Yes my original surgery was May 4th. Waiting until I get to CA would make my life easier not less painful just easier. I have 2 appts July 22 with Dr Robert Pashman and July 13 with Dr Samuel Bedermen. What do you suggest I do? I am planning on being out in CA the middle of June. SHould I call and tell them what has happened and see if they can get me in any earlier. Does anyone else suggest another doctor to see instead of these two? Should I go to more than one? I am so confused about this matter

Thanks for any advice you might have

Melissa
    Hi Melissa...

I think sooner is better than later, although you're not likely to do more damage by waiting. It's just that you'll have to go a lot longer with the pain. If you want, I can contact Dr. Bedermen, and I'm fairly certain he'd be helpful in getting something done quickly. This is a relatively cut and dried type of surgery. They'll probably remove the old rod(s), add more fusion material to the area that didn't fuse, examine the rest of the levels to be sure there aren't other areas of non-fusion, then put new rods in. Recovery should be much faster than in your initial surgery.

Let me know if you want me to contact Dr. Bedermen for you. If you like, you can contact me at lindaracine @ earthlink.net (without the spaces).

Regards,
    Linda

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Melissa--
      You've been through the mill with this. At least the reason has been found for your pain. I'd say, California here I come--for the surgery! Good luck to you. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

What a relief for you that your pain issues have been diagnosed at last. Thank goodness for Linda - sounds like she can really speed this up for you. Yes, there are some great surgeons here in California. (Welcome!) I wish the best for you.
        Laurie
        Age 57
        Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
        Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
        Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
        Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
        Dr Munish Gupta
        UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Melissa,
          I am so sorry about your rod and non-fusion. I had my surgery with Dr. PASHMAN 4 months ago. He is a very good and skilled surgeron. He did an amazing job with me. You can look at my xrays. He does revision surgeries too.
          Cedars is a GREAT hospital as well, you'll like it!
          Good luck!
          Pilar
          Last edited by pilar; 04-14-2011, 04:13 PM.
          Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
          Now age 32
          Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
          Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
          Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
          Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
          Dr. Robert Pashman
          Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
          Before and after xrays :
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Comment

Melissa,
            I'm sorry you still have pain, but at least you finally know the cause. A good surgeon can get this taken care of so that you can eventually be without complications. Did your surgeon use BMP? I am feeling great after 3 months with only a few aches here and there throughout the day, but know that total fusion after a year is the only way that my surgery can be considered successful. It sounds like you have some good surgeons in mind to do the revision surgery. Best of luck. You deserve it for all that you've been through.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Melissa,
              Good luck!! At least you have an answer to what has caused your pain. Please keep us up to date on your progress. We are cheering for you.

Irene

Comment

What type of pain did you have with this ? Just wondering as I have new pain and it feels like i cant support myself too well all of a sudden. kind of feels like when you get the wind knoxked out of you from behind. Ive been to other type drs lately for stuff and I now am measuring at my old height before the surgery 5 ft 5 in. I was 5 ft 7 in after the scoli surgery. I can see new skin change extra skin ) on my hip area now..Have stinging cutting all along my spine in 2 areas with every movement. Feels like a heavy weight is on the thorasic area. I am 5 1/2 mos post op.
                What were your symptoms? And I do really wish you the best in your next surgery. I think my fusion is considered delayed as well now. I am 50. How old are you/

Comment

Melissa

I’m so sorry about this....Its unfortunate that pseudarthrosis (non-unions) happen. It’s the one thing we have to worry about in having scoliosis surgery. Its not perfect science.

Let your future surgeon make his selection on methods and hardware, it doesn’t matter all that much what you have in there metals wise if the fusion doesn’t happen. Any metal, or stacked rods will break.

I think that the first thing is handling your insurance...Insurance companies sometimes don’t like “out of state” scenarios...but the laws have changed??? The insurance question needs to be addressed. Surgeons can help with that as they do like getting paid....

FLT ran around with 8? levels un-fused for many months....hard to believe she hung in there, but like Dr Transfeldt told her, you just cannot slap BMP in there and expect things to fuse. He must have very specific procedures on this. You will need a top rate surgeon.

Try to take it easy right now and don’t lift anything or bend. I know your moving, but broken rods are broken rods.

Always remember that you will get this fixed. Sometimes it takes a few attempts....
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by leannebr View Post
                    What type of pain did you have with this ? Just wondering as I have new pain and it feels like i cant support myself too well all of a sudden. kind of feels like when you get the wind knoxked out of you from behind. Ive been to other type drs lately for stuff and I now am measuring at my old height before the surgery 5 ft 5 in. I was 5 ft 7 in after the scoli surgery. I can see new skin change extra skin ) on my hip area now..Have stinging cutting all along my spine in 2 areas with every movement. Feels like a heavy weight is on the thorasic area. I am 5 1/2 mos post op.
                    What were your symptoms? And I do really wish you the best in your next surgery. I think my fusion is considered delayed as well now. I am 50. How old are you/
                    Your pain sounds very much like mine. I will be 52 in June
                    Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      Melissa

I’m so sorry about this....Its unfortunate that pseudarthrosis (non-unions) happen. It’s the one thing we have to worry about in having scoliosis surgery. Its not perfect science.

Let your future surgeon make his selection on methods and hardware, it doesn’t matter all that much what you have in there metals wise if the fusion doesn’t happen. Any metal, or stacked rods will break.

I think that the first thing is handling your insurance...Insurance companies sometimes don’t like “out of state” scenarios...but the laws have changed??? The insurance question needs to be addressed. Surgeons can help with that as they do like getting paid....

FLT ran around with 8? levels un-fused for many months....hard to believe she hung in there, but like Dr Transfeldt told her, you just cannot slap BMP in there and expect things to fuse. He must have very specific procedures on this. You will need a top rate surgeon.

Try to take it easy right now and don’t lift anything or bend. I know your moving, but broken rods are broken rods.

Always remember that you will get this fixed. Sometimes it takes a few attempts....
                      Ed

Do we know why non-unions happen ?

As to the insurance, I do not think it should be an issue. I live in NC but my insurance is BCBS of IL. Right now , we are on COBRA .

This is a stupid question but if the rod is broken already what more damage can I do if I bend or lift something? Can a rod break where you have fused?

Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa...

No one really knows why one level doesn't fuse and the others do. Perhaps there was less fusion material at that spot. Or, maybe there was a small amount of movement at that level.

Since you're more than 6 months postop, you shouldn't have any restrictions on bending, and you should be able to lift up to 50 pounds or more (if you do so safely). Since you have a move coming up, my advice would be to be a little cautious about how much you do.

Having a broken rod probably doesn't make any difference as far as bending or lifting. Sometimes, the rod can move toward the skin. If that becomes the case, you'll be restricted by the pain of the rod poking into the soft tissue.

Regards,
                        Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you Linda. I am seeing Dr Bederman next Wednesday

Melissa

Comment

so are you living in CA already, Melissa...?
                            isn't Bederman in Irvine, CA...?
                            or are you commuting to surgeons out there....?

i know you will find an excellent surgeon in CA without any difficulty...and plan the next step using the surgeon you feel most comfortable with

jess

Comment

Good luck Melissa. I hope this all goes smoothly for you from here on in and you quickly get the treatment you have needed for so long.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                                so are you living in CA already, Melissa...?
                                isn't Bederman in Irvine, CA...?
                                or are you commuting to surgeons out there....?

i know you will find an excellent surgeon in CA without any difficulty...and plan the next step using the surgeon you feel most comfortable with

jess
                                My husband is working out there now and next week I am going out to CA to look at houses and thanks to Linda I got into to see Dr Bederman on Wednesday

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X