broken rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
    My husband is working out there now and next week I am going out to CA to look at houses and thanks to Linda I got into to see Dr Bederman on Wednesday

Melissa
    That was fast! See, it helps to have friends in high places eh. :-D
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

If you already have titanium screws, they won't be able to use stainless steel rods. And, I think it's unlikely that they'll want to remove all the existing screws, so I think this is a non-issue.

--Linda

Edit: Sorry, I was looking at the first page of this thread when I posted this. Should have at least quoted one of the previous posts.
      Last edited by LindaRacine; 04-16-2011, 12:46 PM.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
        My husband is working out there now and next week I am going out to CA to look at houses and thanks to Linda I got into to see Dr Bederman on Wednesday

Melissa
        Hi...

In my discussions with Dr. Bederman over the past few days, I found out that he's now using the Mazor robot for screw placement. Looks very interesting:

Mazor Robot video

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Here's a press release about the robot:

Drs. Samuel Bederman and Nitin Bhatia are the first surgeons on the west coast to use the SpineAssist Robot for spine surgery. It has now been in use for two months and has improved the accuracy of spinal instrumentation used for spinal fusions, fractures, and scoliosis surgery. UC Irvine, a world recognized leader in robotic surgery is the only site on the west coast to have this advanced technology.

Dr. Bederman, who specializes in scoliosis and spinal deformity surgery considers this new technology a breakthrough from traditional techniques. The robot allows for highly accurate preoperative planning and insertion of screws used to stabilize the spine and correct deformities. Although it can be used for minimally invasive techniques, Bederman believes this technology is most beneficial in situations of severe deformity or previous fusions in which the normal anatomy has been distorted.

Much of the surgery is carried out days before it actually takes place with virtual planning on sophisticated software using the patient's CT scan. The computer workstation is connected to a soda-can-sized robot which is placed on the spine. The meticulous plan is accurate to within 1mm and the robot moves into a position to direct the insertion of screws one at a time. All of the work is still carried out by the surgeon himself as the robot works as an 'assistant' for the operation. In this regard, the robot aids in accuracy, limiting the amount of xrays needed and less exposure and blood loss during the operation.

More information can be obtained by visiting www.spineatirvine.com or by calling 714-456-7012 for appointments.

Comment

How did you find out or determine it was a broken rod? CT or x ray ?? What were your symptoms like? I have so much pain and dont know why -yet.

Comment

Originally posted by leannebr View Post
              How did you find out or determine it was a broken rod? CT or x ray ?? What were your symptoms like? I have so much pain and dont know why -yet.

I am in so much pain and when I went to the surgeon and he took x rays,it was right there on the x ray. Everyone could see it. Then he sent me for a CT

Melissa

Comment

Working...
              X