Thread: pregnancy and scholioses??

pregnancy and scolioses??

I am 34 years old, and been diagnosed with scoliosis as an adult.

I am seeing Dr. Bradford at UCSF. He told me that I need to have the surgery done with the next 1 to 2 years. I am so scared, and would really need to talk to someone who has been in this situation. I have a two and half years old son, and my husband and I were thinking of having another one with in the next 2 years. Now everything has changed. If I get pregnant now, then I will have 2 toddlers at the time of surgery, if I don't get pregnant, I will be too old to get pregnant; not to mention that I am too scared to get pregnant with all those fusions and rod in my body.

I would really appreciate any comments from anybody who had the same sort of experience.

Thanks,
    Mandana
    Last edited by mandana; 12-17-2004 at 12:29 AM.
    T49/L56
    need to do the surgery in the next year or two

hi! i can't speak to being pregnant after a fusion, but i assure you that you will NOT be too old to get pregnant in your late 30's! my friends and i didn't start having our families until we were 40+ and everything worked out fine, so take heart on that point....
    Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
    T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
    Fused T3 - S1
    Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
    Dr. Robert G. Viere
    North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Hi Mandana...

I see that you're in the SF area. I run the Scoliosis Association of San Francisco, and have a meeting scheduled for December 15th. If you're available, I think you'll find it of interest, as many of the people who will be there have already had surgery.

If you're interested in attending, please email me at lindaracine @ earthlink.net (without the spaces).

Regards,
    Linda