No announcement yet.

Questions about Autologous blood donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I donated one pint a week prior to surgery, at the hospital where I had my surgery. My husband and son also each donated a pint for me as we're all the same type. I did feel weak for a day or so afterwards, but then of course, it was just one pint.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
      Hi Golfnut,

I love hearing of your generous expression of gratitude! I wonder if there are restrictions on donating blood in someone who has had prior transfusions? I think there used to be, but I am not sure now.
      Gayle, The restriction for donating is one year from the time you received the transfusions, because if you were to get a blood borne disease, it would show up within that first year.
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

As a retired Blood Banker, I personally wouldn't recommend donating more than one (or maybe two units for very hearty women)of your one blood, because it weakens your immune system. Many times, I have seen women come in for surgery that have donated and need to be transfused before the Doctor will even operate on them because their red blood counts are too low to safely operate.
        Blood Bank blood is extremely safe now.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Canada...

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
          I have been quoted fees from $148 per unit, to $500 per unit, for them to draw, process, and ship the blood
          Thank heavens for Canadian healthcare. I donated through the Autologous Blood program here in Edmonton, AB a pint every week for a month before surgery. I used it all during my surgery... and it was free. I had a pretty intense diet of steak & spinach to keep my hemoglobin count up. I hate needles but used EMLA cream (over the counter numbing agent) so I couldn't feel the needles. The very first pint took me 12 minutes to fill, but by the end of the program I was a champ pumping out a pint in 4 minutes. I was very happy with the program and felt confident using my own blood. I didn't have any problems with sickness or weakness before, during or after my surgery. Obviously it's very different for each person, so you just have to make the best choice for you.

Good luck with your decision and your surgery! Sending you prayers & fast-healing vibes!
          lisanicolegrace
          29/F/Canada
          Surgery - 11/10/2000
          80° curve to 19° post op.
          www.lisanicolegrace.com
          @lisanicolegrace
          facebook
          x-rays
          picture of my back

Comment

Lots of good information is being circulated here

When I went to see Dr. Good, he mentioned me donating blood for my surgery. I am concerned by people mentioning how it can weaken your immune system. I am not a large person...probably could get a way with donating one unit about a month before.

Something to ponder. Need to find out what blood type my husband is....he is willing to donate blood.

I bet my dogs would be willing, but would probably end up with a longer nose and pointed ears. :-)
            Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
            Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
            Dr. Charles Edwards, II
            The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
            Before and after xrays:
            http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

[QUOTE=djkinkead;120637]When I went to see Dr. Good, he mentioned me donating blood for my surgery. I am concerned by people mentioning how it can weaken your immune system. I am not a large person...probably could get a way with donating one unit about a month before.
              djkinkead-
              After much contemplation, I decided to not donate, and just use donor blood. My husband was going to donate, but studies have shown that directed donor blood is not any any safer than regular donor blood, and our insurance pays for donor, but not autologous donation! Crazy healthcare system.
              lisanicole- thank you for the well wishes!
              Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
              T54/L72
              Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
              Gained 2 inches!
              Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
              12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
              Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

My husband, super cautious man that he is, wanted me to donate for myself.
                The lady across the street, who is the head of the med tech dept of our local hosp, said that she wouldn't do it, that they are vigilant about the safety controls, and all I'd do is weaken myself pre surgery, and that the popularity of autologous donation has taken a real nosedive in these last years. Much to my husband's chagrin, I decided to not do the autologus blood donation. I'm glad I skipped it. I did need transfusing post-op, and all went well.
                Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
                  Thank you everyone, for all of your replies.
                  Susie Bee- it is interesting that you did not have to pay a fee. It was the American Red Cross center closest to me (1 1/2 hrs away) that quoted the $500 fee!
                  I only donated blood once, and felt so horrible after, I have avoided it since. It sounds like it is not a requirement to do so, so I think I will have my husband donate for me, and leave it at that. I am not concerned about the safety of donor blood. I was just hoping to avoid any possibility of autoimmune responses to weird antibodies some people have. Its good to know none of you had any problems!!
                  Linda- 7 units in 7 weeks?! Wow, you are tough!
                  I was told by Dr. Lenke nurse that some Red Cross groups would try and charge me. She said not to pay, as they are not suppose to do that. Complain to the national office.

Comment

Hi Laurie, I donated one pint of blood. I just about passed out and didn't donate anymore. It took me a day to feel better. I donated through the American Red Cross in Bryn Mawr. It cost me 50. Which I was thrilled because I had checked a couple of other places and it was going to cost ALOT more. I asked Dr. B if he thought I needed to donate more and he said no. I ended up not needing the blood during the operation, though they did give it back to me sometime after in the hospital basically because they had it (as I understood it). Due to all the safety precautions now and Lindy telling me there have been no negative incidences of donor donations, I was very comfortable if I needed additional blood. Good luck with all your preparations!
                    Debra
                    Age 45
                    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                    Fused T4-T12
                    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

I donated two of the three pints they asked, and I suggest you don't donate. I was exhausted and by the time I went for the third donation, my hemoglobin was way too low. I emailed from Dr. Boachie's office and said I can't do the last one and opted for the blood bank, which I think I received one unit from them. The amount of vitamens, etc. I had to take for 30 days before the surgery for the blood donation was overwhelming and upset my stomach. That's one less stressful thing you have to do/think about prior to your surgery. PLUS I paid $149.00 each time I went to NY Blood Bank, and I haven't received anything from insurance. I don't think it's covered.
                      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                      2000 Partial Rod Removal
                      2001 Right Scapular Resection
                      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Debra and Lynn

Thanks for your input. I hope you are both doing well. The decision process was causing so much added stress for me, that I just decided to not donate. I e-mailed Dr. B., and he was fine with it. I want to be as strong as possible, going in to surgery. Two weeks until my day of pre-op testing, then 2 1/2 weeks till the big day. Very surreal. It is because of all of you, that have gone before me, and shared your experiences, that I have the strength to do it. Thanks isn't enough.
                        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                        T54/L72
                        Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                        Gained 2 inches!
                        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                        12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

I'm been wondering what to do about the autologous blood donation, too. I'm scheduled to donate two units total (at the NY Blood Center, three weeks and two weeks before surgery). When I was younger I'd faint at the drop of a hat so it might not be the best experience. I'm also concerned about getting weak pre-surgery. On the other hand, I've been eating a lot of beef, which is a real treat for me since I usually don't eat it (daughter is vegetarian and husband is semi-vegetarian).

boomergal
                          54 years old
                          T57, L43
                          surgery scheduled with Dr. Boachie 7/05/11

Comment

I didn't give blood since I'd had a bad experience donating once a few years ago. I tried to have blood donated by friends and family in my stead. After many, many phone calls and lots of aggravation I gave up. I had donated blood and I needed a lot--9 units total I think. And it was fine! I can't see weakening yourself when you need to be at the top of your game. Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

My surgeon doesn't ask his patients to donate either. He told me blood bank blood is perfectly safe these days. I received 5 units during surgery and one the following day. I am so grateful. I have many times attempted to donate blood but I am so squeamish, I still haven't. I hope to one day. Once I've done it once, I think I'll be ok to become a regular donor. Either that or they'll pick me up off the floor and ask me not to come back.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X