Questions about Autologous blood donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Autologous blood donation

I got the letter from my surgeon's office, saying it is time to set up my blood donations. I am supposed to donate 3 units, starting 34 days prior to surgery. I am having a difficult time finding a center that does this, close to where I live in PA. Also, I have been quoted fees from $148 per unit, to $500 per unit, for them to draw, process, and ship the blood. I am wondering, do most surgeons ask their pts. to do this? And, for those of you who did, how did you feel afterwards. Normally, a person can donate only once every 56 days, but we are to donate 3 times in 34 days. I realize, we will be getting the blood back again, but doesn't it make you feel more fatigued, going in to sugery? Those of you in eastern PA, western NJ, where did you go to donate? And, for those who received donor blood, any problems with insurance paying for it? Sorry for all the questions, I am feeling rather perplexed!!
    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
    T54/L72
    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
    Gained 2 inches!
    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
    Lost 2", gained PJK!

My surgeon suggested that donating my own blood would weaken me for surgery. I had 4 pints of blood from the blood bank during surgery and one pint after surgery of frozen plasma (I think that's what the fifth pint was.) My insurance took care of paying for the blood.
    Luckily, I had no problem with the donated blood.

Comment

I'm not sure exactly where you are located, but I took my daughter to Hershey Medical Center in Hershey PA for her blood donations which is where her surgery was done. Not sure if they will do what you need them to do, but I would think since it is one of the bigger hospitals in the area, they might be able to help or at least recommend a facility that can help.

Have you contacted the blood donor center nearest you? They might also be able to recommend a facility to you if they don't do it themselves.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi...

I work at UCSF where dozens of scoliosis surgeries are done every week. Our surgeons have stopped asking for autologous blood donations.

By the way, I'm guessing that the "every 56 days" thing is probably for donation of blood in the general population. For my first surgeries, 19 years ago, I donated 7 units over 7 weeks.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lori, I donated one pint at a Red Cross center in West Chester (right off Rte. 202). I felt really wiped out afterward and told Lindy I wouldn't be donating any more. As it turns out, I didn't need additional blood anyway, but if I had needed more, I would have been perfectly fine with donor blood. It's very safe these days. I can't quite remember the insurance end of things with this -- I have to check my records.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Dr. Lenke did not want me to donate my own blood and he also felt the blood bank was safe. I intend to donate blood when I'm a year post-op because I'm very grateful to have blood from the blood bank.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Golfnut,

I love hearing of your generous expression of gratitude! I wonder if there are restrictions on donating blood in someone who has had prior transfusions? I think there used to be, but I am not sure now.

My surgeon also does not allow his patients to pre-donate blood. He feels it weakens them and potentially increases the risk of infection. I had an 8-hour surgery and received 4 units of blood-bank blood during surgery. I needed two more units a few days later as I was quite anemic (Hgb 7), so I had a total of 6 units.

My surgeon feels that the blood bank blood is very safe. I was not sorry that I couldn't donate my own blood.
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I pre-donated 2 pints at the apheresis center at the hospital where my surgery was done. I lost 6 during the surgery and ended up getting my 2 back during, then another 3 from donors.

I donated both pints in 6 days and felt slightly weak but not badly.
                Female, age 38
                4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                currently 64*upper/40*lower
                Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

I donated 4 pints in a little over 3 weeks. It didn't really make me feel weak. The tricky part was trying to keep my hematocrit high enough so I could keep donating. I did use all 4 units, plus all the cell saver blood from the surgery. I donated through the red cross blood donation center, which was about an hour's drive away for me. There was no charge. They had it delivered to the hospital, another hour or so away.
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thank you everyone, for all of your replies.
                    Susie Bee- it is interesting that you did not have to pay a fee. It was the American Red Cross center closest to me (1 1/2 hrs away) that quoted the $500 fee!
                    I only donated blood once, and felt so horrible after, I have avoided it since. It sounds like it is not a requirement to do so, so I think I will have my husband donate for me, and leave it at that. I am not concerned about the safety of donor blood. I was just hoping to avoid any possibility of autoimmune responses to weird antibodies some people have. Its good to know none of you had any problems!!
                    Linda- 7 units in 7 weeks?! Wow, you are tough!
                    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                    T54/L72
                    Gained 2 inches!
                    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Lori-- that is totally weird that they would charge you, and there was no charge for me. I don't get it at all. Why would there be a charge??? And $500 seems ridiculously high. My American Red Cross location was in Merrillville, IN and then the blood was sent to Chicago, IL, where my surgery was. Merrillville is almost to the IL line...
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I say just do what you want. The doctors are split on this one, too. No one will judge you if you decide one way or another. I almost didn't do it, either. Go with your gut. In the overall picture, this is a small thing, so don't sweat the little stuff!

I donated one unit, and felt fine. I took plenty of iron before and after, and had no problems with my hematocrit. I was a little nervous about doing it, and being tired, but they told me how fast our bodies replace it. The fluid is replaced in several hours, the actual blood was just days, but I can't remember how many.... But it was amazing. I was nervous about doing it, and also nervous about NOT doing it. With some of the things not showing up in blood for some time after exposure, who knows?? But that was my fertile/analytical imagination gone wild....
                        I also had it done at Red Cross. They told me it was going to be $500 before I went in. They didn't charge me at the donation site, nor directly, but it shows up on my hospital bill at 500 bucks. Maybe they process it, then charge the hospital it goes to, then pass it on to you?? I'm not sure. I was on the cell saver unit, and only used my one unit, no other blood. So the charge isn't for blood bank blood. And it was for the quoted $500...

Good Luck!
                        Jenee'-52
                        Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                        Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                        I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                        9 hours
                        T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                        Non-fusion
                        Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

My doctor asked me if I wanted to, but I decided not to do it. He said he thinks for most people it ends up being a wash because you go in low, and end up needing more than you donated. Since I went in full, I only needed 2 pints a day after the surgery.

But he would have had me do it if I wanted to, so I think it's entirely up to us these days to decide for ourselves.

Best wishes!
                          Rebecca
                          Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                          wore night bending brace as teenager
                          Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                          herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                          fusion L2-3 November 2008
                          Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                          Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                          Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                          gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                          Before and After X-rays
                          My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Is it common to receive blood from this surgery? It seems like everyone has received some, but I never did. My surgeon said I lost a liter of blood... and from the help of a conversion chart it came out to a little over 2 pints. No where in the surgery report does it mention that I received any blood.
                            Tiffany K
                            I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
                            4'11", never braced
                            Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
                            T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

Susie- I think the cost differs from region to region. I was told it was $450 for processing the blood, and $50 for shipping.

Tiffany- I just asked Dr. Boachie what the average blood loss with this type of sugery is, and he said 500-1500cc. Some people can tolerate a loss of 1000cc, and not need blood. You were one of the lucky ones!
                              Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                              T54/L72
                              Gained 2 inches!
                              Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                              Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Working...
                              X